Do College Games Last Too Long?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
NO x infinity! Don't do anything to actually shorten the game by changing the rules anymore. Enough of that has been done in the past.

I'm all for cutting out the network filler stuff (interviews/spotlights/food stories) and less commercials, but no more cutting the game. Leave it alone!!!
That suggestion doesn't actually shorten the game. Still 4 15 minute quarters. It just keeps the clock running after 1st downs except for final 2 minutes in each half. With all the hurry up + overall pace of the game I think it'd be a welcome change..

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Get rid of instant replay and the games will easily be 15-20 minutes shorter, if not more.
Like others have said, I wish they would cut the music intros and 15 minute discussions of overpaid former players or announcers who add nothing new to the discussion or the game. Have two minutes of intros and kick off the dang game.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
YES YES YES. It seems like half the freaking game is "previous play under review" and at least an hour is wasted watching the ref stand on the field with his headset on EVERY OTHER PLAY. If half the game has to be reviewed then we need to hire competent refs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The games on ESPN are only too long because ESPN has a pathetic pregame intro, goes to commercial, game kicks off, they go to commercial, coach scratches, they go to commercial.

I did something enjoyable yesterday - I watched the MLB All-Star Game from 1985 (I'd never seen it). Imagine this kind of game - none of all that clutter all over the screen like Fox has (believe it or not, I can pick up on the pitch count, and Vin Scully was telling me every five minutes what the score was), commercials with jamming music, and players who had never played in the other league before.

The entire broadcast - including pregame, player intros, selection of the Lite Beer MVP, postgame, etc took 3:35, which was nine FULL innings plus an NBC newsbreak with Chuck Scarborough. The game took 2:54 from first pitch to last. The 2016 ASG took 3:05 for 8.5 innings that included NONE of those things (the home team was ahead so they didn't play the bottom of the ninth). I didn't use this year because it went ten innings.

I'm sure if I did a comparison of the time of say the 2003 LSU-OU game with today, you'd see a substantial increase in the time it took to play Alabama-Clemson.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Most of the Olympic games were nearly commercial free during game play. All sports should follow this formula. They could have commercials between quarters and at the end of games to get in all the commercial time they need for paid sponsors. Seriously how hard is this?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
We all know instant replay is a huge anchor on the game but normal penalties take too long. A while back, I was watching a classic game from the early 70’s. (Can’t remember the teams) Back then, when there was a simple penalty like motion, the ref would signal the infraction, spot the ball and signal for the clock to start. It took all of 10 seconds. Now we have to have a meeting of the officials who then hold a question and answer period, vote, then make the call.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
YES YES YES. It seems like half the freaking game is "previous play under review" and at least an hour is wasted watching the ref stand on the field with his headset on EVERY OTHER PLAY. If half the game has to be reviewed then we need to hire competent refs.
I agree. Tell the refs to go back to calling it like they see it instead of waiting for replay to "fix" things. Give the coaches one challenge per half in case there is a really big screw up. Make the replay official correct the call within one minute. If he needs more than one minute, then it isn't clear enough to overturn anyway. Make the call and get on with the game. I can't stand when there is a big play that could shift momentum and they take ten stinking minutes to do a replay. It really is an insane waste of time.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree. Tell the refs to go back to calling it like they see it instead of waiting for replay to "fix" things. Give the coaches one challenge per half in case there is a really big screw up. Make the replay official correct the call within one minute. If he needs more than one minute, then it isn't clear enough to overturn anyway. Make the call and get on with the game. I can't stand when there is a big play that could shift momentum and they take ten stinking minutes to do a replay. It really is an insane waste of time.
Let's go with the NFL rules. Coaches get 2 reviews, if they are correct they get a third. Review every TD.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Let's go with the NFL rules. Coaches get 2 reviews, if they are correct they get a third. Review every TD.
That would be better, but I still think it is too many. Why review all TDs? Some are guys running into the end zone untouched, unless the guy is one of those idiots who thinks it is cool to drop the ball exactly at the same time as crossing the goal line. Most are clearly TDs, so I still say give them one per half or two per game. Keep track of officials who have calls overturned for disciplinary action if they have too many. That's how I would do it, and it would greatly improve the wasted time involved in games. As far as actual game time goes, though, they could increase the length of games if they wanted as far as I am concerned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.