Toronto man builds park steps for $550, city estimated $65K

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
LOL! No wonder we're overtaxed and our government is in massive debt.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toront...book&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mattkibbe

Even better are the mayor's comments:

Mayor John Tory acknowledged that the city estimate sounds “completely out of whack with reality” on Wednesday. However, he says that still doesn’t justify allowing private citizens to bypass city bylaws to build public structures themselves.

“I think everyone will understand that it will be more than $550,” he said on Wednesday. “We just can’t have people decide to go out to Home Depot and build a staircase in a park because that’s what they would like to have.”

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
The city will now spend $25,000.00 to tear the stairs down and then spend $65,000.00 to build the new stairs. I am sure this will be an open bid and a member of the mayor's family or a city council member's family will honestly and honorably win said open bid.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
that is definitely a non conforming hazardous set of steps. The man would not build a dog house for me.
His heart was in the right place, but a city can't just let people start building things on public property. If someone falls and gets hurt, they aren't going to sue that old man and the homeless guy.

The landing at the top is in two pieces and I saw it bend when someone stepped on it. There is also a pathway 200 feet away that serves the same purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Dude is 73, and his help was homeless. They can keep the extra $64,450 to retain lawyers if something goes awry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.