White County, TN offers reduced sentences if you get a vasectomy

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
County jail to snip 30 days off prison sentences if inmates get a vasectomy in TN.

County jail to snip 30 days off prison sentences if inmates get a vasectomy or birth control implant.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/2...rison-sentences-if-inmates-get-vasectomy.html

A judge uses forward thinking for a change...

The ACLU should be required to pay for taxes to support the WIC program.... This is a choice the judge gave them.

[FONT=&quot]The ACLU reportedly released a statement calling the program “unconstitutional:”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Offering a so-called 'choice' between jail time and coerced contraception or sterilization is unconstitutional. Such a choice violates the fundamental constitutional right to reproductive autonomy and bodily integrity by interfering with the intimate decision of whether and when to have a child, imposing an intrusive medical procedure on individuals who are not in a position to reject it. Judges play an important role in our community – overseeing individuals’ childbearing capacity should not be part of that role."[/FONT]

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Re: County jail to snip 30 days off prison sentences if inmates get a vasectomy in TN

The ACLU is correct and their members already pay taxes. This judge isn't "forward thinking". He is a throwback to eugenics and forced/coerced sterilizations. The judge should be forced to pay for the inevitable lost lawsuits that will occur.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: County jail to snip 30 days off prison sentences if inmates get a vasectomy in TN

I don't like this at all. Acting like someone in prison shouldn't 'pollute' the pool with their DNA is ridiculous in a vast majority of cases.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Without looking, I will bet this judge has an elected position and is up for re-election soon.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Depends on the definition of "voluntary". Does someone with a gun to their head act voluntarily when told to do something?
Fair enough, but at the case in hand, if the county offers me a 30-day reduction of sentence in exchange for getting a free vasectomy, or, if I really value my "reproductive autonomy," I can decline the reduced sentence and maintain my reproductive autonomy. The vasectomy/Norplant is an offer, not an order.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Depends on the definition of "voluntary". Does someone with a gun to their head act voluntarily when told to do something?
In this case, the parallel of the example you gave would be capital punishment or 30 years if you get a vasectomy. If the judge is offering a 30 day reduction like TW mentioned, I believe that does not constitute forced compliance.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Fair enough, but at the case in hand, if the county offers me a 30-day reduction of sentence in exchange for getting a free vasectomy, or, if I really value my "reproductive autonomy," I can decline the reduced sentence and maintain my reproductive autonomy. The vasectomy/Norplant is an offer, not an order.
In this case, the parallel of the example you gave would be capital punishment or 30 years if you get a vasectomy. If the judge is offering a 30 day reduction like TW mentioned, I believe that does not constitute forced compliance.
You both have good points, but there is no doubt that coercion is taking place. There is little reasonable doubt that a vasectomy would have no bearing on recidivism or any other relevant factor and is probably intended as a "cruel and unusual" punishment (or at least constitutes one).

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Free economic exchange implies some degree of equal bargaining power. We all realize there are many "voluntary" relationship that remain off limits due to other, prior inequalities. Teachers should not enter into sexual relations with their students, not only because it's unfair to the other students, but because the inequality of power leads to abuse even when unintended. No doubt there are many cases in which the student is a willing participant and no quid pro quo is stipulated, but that doesn't make it a good practice. The inequality in power between the state and the convict is far greater than that between a professor and student. This could never pass the tainted consent test, which means it is not an issue that resolves based on being "voluntary".

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Free economic exchange implies some degree of equal bargaining power. We all realize there are many "voluntary" relationship that remain off limits due to other, prior inequalities. Teachers should not enter into sexual relations with their students, not only because it's unfair to the other students, but because the inequality of power leads to abuse even when unintended. No doubt there are many cases in which the student is a willing participant and no quid pro quo is stipulated, but that doesn't make it a good practice. The inequality in power between the state and the convict is far greater than that between a professor and student. This could never pass the tainted consent test, which means it is not an issue that resolves based on being "voluntary".
Fine. Opt out of the vasectomy/Norplant. I really don't see the problem.
If a KKK guy who lynched an African-American was paroled early on condition of not attending any more KKK rallies, would that violate his freedom of assembly?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
you said taint

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Fine. Opt out of the vasectomy/Norplant. I really don't see the problem.
If a KKK guy who lynched an African-American was paroled early on condition of not attending any more KKK rallies, would that violate his freedom of assembly?
For limited times and/or purposes? Probably not. Vasectomies are considered permanent as there is no guarantee that a reversal will be successful IF it could be tried.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.