Looking for Suggestions: How to start a blog?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
My wife is looking at starting a blog and she asked me for advice. I know as much as Sgt. Schutz: nothing. So I'm asking here. What is a good site to use to start a blog. Looking for one that is user friendly, free is nice but not a must. Also, what are some basic do's and don't when setting up and running a blog?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Free blog hosting and platforms

Domain name registration

Register your domain using the Whois anonymizer service.

Create a new email address to use with it that is not related to any personally identifiable information.

Work hard to ensure that you don't post geotagged pictures, or give out your address.

Those are generally good rules when starting a blog, however all that goes out the windows if you are relying on name recognition for your blog. Then you can just use blogger or something and tie it to your standard email account. However if your wife is considering posting things that might get people's knickers in a twist I'd recommend the steps above.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
My wife registered a .com name with godaddy and they don't provide a bolg. They say somewhere else and link it in the site she has with them. Question: is another web address required for the blog? Is another domain necessary?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My wife registered a .com name with godaddy and they don't provide a bolg. They say somewhere else and link it in the site she has with them. Question: is another web address required for the blog? Is another domain necessary?
Basically, if she is building a .com address then she must build it in some way. So either she or someone else must supply a hosting server and then build the blog. Some hosting services offer the server and the tools to make a functional blog. If she is not inclined to do it herself a hosting service may be the way to go.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Checkout wordpress or something like that. You can bring a custom domain, but usually when doing that you get out of the "free" tier.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Wordpress and Squarespace would both be options.

Squarespace's interface is supposed to be really simple to use although I've never used it myself- just looked into it some for my site that I'm building, although I decided to go with something a little more geared towards e-commerce.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what will be the focus of her blog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Just out of curiosity, what will be the focus of her blog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She is writing about how she beat stage 4 colon cancer with diet and folk remedies. She just self published a book on Amazon and wants to use a blog for updates. I'm not sure if I can post book here due to forum rules.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.