Last Chance U

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Finished season two. Want to make some comments.

Buddy Stephens - He's obviously a good coach on some level, but I'm struggling to find it. I think Coach Woods (*spoiler*), who later stepped down because of Stephens horrible attitude, was the backbone of the team. His spiel about wanting to change was all for the cameras.

Britney Wagner - She is an amazing human being. She does all that she can to help these young men, and for her to be alienated by Buddy is ridiculous. I'm glad she got out of there, she deserves better than EMCC.

Kam - I wanted him to get it. I wanted something to break through to him. He is so talented, and at times showed the fire you want from a guy. He never found the work ethic he needed though. One of my favorite moments was when a teammate told him (after he said he belonged somewhere like Bama) that "Your height and weight belong at Bama, but YOU don't." I hope he wakes up.

DeAndre Johnson - If you've ever had a close friend, family member, or yourself do something completely stupid and out of character, and try to come back from it...man, DeAndre is that guy. His maturity, his leadership, and the obvious pain he pain he feels from what happened I think will push him to do well. I know his opportunities were limited, as he was paying the price for his actions, but watching him made me believe he's a genuinely good kid.

Dakota Allen - Everything I said above applies here. He is obviously a really smart kid who made a huge mistake. I think he has all the tools to come back and get to the NFL.

Tim Bonner - I love his attitude, and his personality. He has a high motor. He thinks he is dumb, because I'm sure he was told that most his life, but there was such a genuineness to some of the things he said. I think with the right guidance, he can be successful at FAU.

Chauncey Rivers - He was my favorite player. Probably. His teammates liked him, he listened to coaches, he worked hard, and one of the only time he had issues was when Buddy threw his mom out of a game (didn't blame him). He landed in a good spot with Dan Mullens and co at Miss St.

Isaiah Wright - He's s tough case. He is talented, and likeable, but his attitude is tough to take. Some of it was warranted by being pushed to play injured, or by Buddy just being horrible at communicating, but he let his feelings get in the way. I worry about him making it without a really good support staff.

A few other thoughts.

Someone at a higher level needs to hire Davern Williams. I think he's the kind of coach you want on staff.

Marcus Woods is a genuinely good guy, and deserves to be Head Coach at EMCC.

I am glad they are doing a season 3, but don't know if moving the show to another CC (Independence CC) is going to be good for them or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Finished season two. Want to make some comments.

Buddy Stephens - He's obviously a good coach on some level, but I'm struggling to find it. I think Coach Woods (*spoiler*), who later stepped down because of Stephens horrible attitude, was the backbone of the team. His spiel about wanting to change was all for the cameras.

Britney Wagner - She is an amazing human being. She does all that she can to help these young men, and for her to be alienated by Buddy is ridiculous. I'm glad she got out of there, she deserves better than EMCC.

Kam - I wanted him to get it. I wanted something to break through to him. He is so talented, and at times showed the fire you want from a guy. He never found the work ethic he needed though. One of my favorite moments was when a teammate told him (after he said he belonged somewhere like Bama) that "Your height and weight belong at Bama, but YOU don't." I hope he wakes up.

DeAndre Johnson - If you've ever had a close friend, family member, or yourself do something completely stupid and out of character, and try to come back from it...man, DeAndre is that guy. His maturity, his leadership, and the obvious pain he pain he feels from what happened I think will push him to do well. I know his opportunities were limited, as he was paying the price for his actions, but watching him made me believe he's a genuinely good kid.

Dakota Allen - Everything I said above applies here. He is obviously a really smart kid who made a huge mistake. I think he has all the tools to come back and get to the NFL.

Tim Bonner - I love his attitude, and his personality. He has a high motor. He thinks he is dumb, because I'm sure he was told that most his life, but there was such a genuineness to some of the things he said. I think with the right guidance, he can be successful at FAU.

Chauncey Rivers - He was my favorite player. Probably. His teammates liked him, he listened to coaches, he worked hard, and one of the only time he had issues was when Buddy threw his mom out of a game (didn't blame him). He landed in a good spot with Dan Mullens and co at Miss St.

Isaiah Wright - He's s tough case. He is talented, and likeable, but his attitude is tough to take. Some of it was warranted by being pushed to play injured, or by Buddy just being horrible at communicating, but he let his feelings get in the way. I worry about him making it without a really good support staff.

A few other thoughts.

Someone at a higher level needs to hire Davern Williams. I think he's the kind of coach you want on staff.

Marcus Woods is a genuinely good guy, and deserves to be Head Coach at EMCC.

I am glad they are doing a season 3, but don't know if moving the show to another CC (Independence CC) is going to be good for them or not.

Didn't know it was moving. I think going to EMCC's rival, NW MS, would make for good TV. They also put a ton talent in the Power 5 and you could have the rivalry storyline, especially with the asterisk comment by Buddy Stephens.

Also, did you notice who the players gave the Gatorade bath to? It was Coach Wood not Stephens. He knew Wood was the backbone of the team and the "coach in waiting." Wood invested in the players. Stephens had to do something to embarrass him & push him out. I thought it was a "made for TV" moment until I read recent comments by Brittany Wagner about Stephens and his staff. She mentioned, indirectly, Coach Wood's situation.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/las...any-wagner-10-thousand-pencils-buddy-stephens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I remember last year a bunch of folks on here were not fond of Coach Woods. They thought he was a fraud a la' Hugh Freeze. I don't think that's true and I think this season went a long way towards proving it. He had innumerable opportunities to show his true colors in some very stressful settings, but he never wavered. I don't think the Christian thing is an act, I think that's who he is.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I believe Coach woods resigned and accepted a job somewhere on the campus: http://www.eastms.edu/news/Pages/marcus-woods-asst-vp.aspx

Davern Williams will be coaching somewhere next season somewhere whether it's at DI or DII schools.

I think Stephens is on thin ice and He won't be coaching after this season. I'm glad to see that they are focusing on another school, so it would help to track players during the season.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I believe Coach woods resigned and accepted a job somewhere on the campus: http://www.eastms.edu/news/Pages/marcus-woods-asst-vp.aspx

Davern Williams will be coaching somewhere next season somewhere whether it's at DI or DII schools.

I think Stephens is on thin ice and He won't be coaching after this season. I'm glad to see that they are focusing on another school, so it would help to track players during the season.
It said at the end of the show that Woods had moved to an administrative role and that Davern Williams was set to stay on as defensive line coach.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Soulless?
Unless you think Hoarders has soul then I still think its soulless. I just cant feel sorry for people who continue to not want to change what got them in the first place. Granted Ive only seen the first season, but I think the only ones that really seem to want the best for the kids are the counselor and Coach Woods, and that includes the kids themselves.

I just find it as 40% of a feel sorry for me thing, 20 % of people trying to help, and 40% Buddy Stephens thinking he is the best coach to ever coach football. Sorry but I stand by my statement. Atleast Two a Days limited Propst, and was more about the Hoover football community. I didnt like Two a Days, but its not as bad as Last Chance U

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I remember last year a bunch of folks on here were not fond of Coach Woods. They thought he was a fraud a la' Hugh Freeze. I don't think that's true and I think this season went a long way towards proving it. He had innumerable opportunities to show his true colors in some very stressful settings, but he never wavered. I don't think the Christian thing is an act, I think that's who he is.
I watched the last episode again, the last place I would want my kid to play is for Buddy Woods. A total train wreck

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I watched the last episode again, the last place I would want my kid to play is for Buddy Woods. A total train wreck
I assumed you meant head coach Buddy Stephens.
I have to wonder at his on-the-field success. Maybe it's as simple as Barry Switzer's maxim, "To succeed in college football, you only have to do three things well: recruit, recruit, and recruit."
Now, I do not believe Switzer was right, but in the case of EMCC, I believe Stephens takes some pretty talented (and desperate) players that have had problems at other schools, gives them a bit of coaching, but really just puts them out on the field and lets their talent take over.
I also believe that a good portion of his success came from Coach Woods and his offensive scheme. EMCC did seem to put up some crazy offensive numbers.
If I had a football-talented son, I would not advise him top go to EMCC. Coach Stephens has a great deal of growing up to do and I really do not care for the way he treats people.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm not a fan of religion, but he seemed genuine in wanting the guys to be better on and off the field. I don't care how you do it, if you can instill something in someone that makes them want to be a better human, I'm for it.

I sincerely hope his admin role is just a place holder to take over for Buddy, sooner rather than later.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
More surprised that Camion put himself in this situation than Isaiah. It seemed inevitable to me that he was going back to the gutter, but at least Camion seemed to be on the right track.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.