Last Chance U

roltidejunky

Scout Team
Oct 22, 1999
Vicksburg, MS
I find it hard to watch because of him. Theres no way he can be that stinking negative all the time. He has zero credibility and why kids go to play there is beyond me.

What do yall think of Coach Stephens ? I'm not impressed by his football knowledge or his people skills.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can't understand a word Tim and Kam are saying. Tim seriously might have some metal disability or something.

Dakota seems very well-spoken so far.
NO they do not have mental disability. They learned how to talk that way based on their culture and where they grew up. I didn't have any issues understanding them. Just because they speak differently doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was able to watch Season 2 and few things I noticed:
-Coach Stephens doesn't know how to relate to his players and coaches. He tears them down all the time and that may be his biggest weakness as a person. He needs to fix that if he wants to be a better coach. I can understand why people left.

-Wright definitely has the talent to make it on the big level, but it's his mentality that I'm very concerned about. His view on life, relationships and others, that scares me sometime and I wonder if he'll make it in life 5 years from now.

-Kam has emotional and maturity issues. I pray He figure out some things.
-Johnson definitely can make lot of Noise at FAU and he has the tools. he seem more mature and grown.
- DL players with the exception of Kam, They definitely are impressing me. Can't wait to see what they'll do few years from now.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
NO they do not have mental disability. They learned how to talk that way based on their culture and where they grew up. I didn't have any issues understanding them. Just because they speak differently doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.
I understand that, I just don't think Tim is all there. He just has these looks on his face like he has no idea what's going on.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understand that, I just don't think Tim is all there. He just has these looks on his face like he has no idea what's going on.
Fair assessment, but the thing is, I know few people who does that, but when it's time to get something done, they immediately turn the light on and goes to work. Some people are like that. hard to tell. That's why I said I can't wait to see how they'll turn out in few years.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm sure there are excellent student athletes at every university/JC. I was commenting on EMCC and the way it's portraying the school on the show. Thus, mentioned Jarran Reed. He's kinda THE success story for EMCC. Thought I would clarify as it seems you thought I was talking about student athletes in general. My mistake if I was unclear.
No, I was not offering a critique of what you said. Please do not take my comments that way. I was drawing some general inferences about student-athletes. Most, even at a place like Alabama, most football players will not get drafted. What they will get, however, is a free opportunity for an education. Sadly, at EMCC, it seems like too many are treating that educational opportunity as a distraction.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, and have explained this to my boys. I won't go into details, but I have experienced prejudice because of my speech and it is disheartening. To be judged because you are raised in a different part of the country or world is simply wrong, as is all prejudice. That said, at some point I realized that the world is a hard place and that the bias wasn't going to just go away because it was unfair, so I began working on my speech and turned around those perceptions. But I alienated a few folks from my home because they felt that I was ashamed of my past. Nothing could be further from the truth, but how do you prove that? I had to choose between some friends and a successful future in the business world.

Right or wrong, these kids are going to be judged based on many things that have nothing to do with their abilities. We can try to avoid this kind of prejudicial behavior as individuals, but most don't even make the effort.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree, and have explained this to my boys. I won't go into details, but I have experienced prejudice because of my speech and it is disheartening. To be judged because you are raised in a different part of the country or world is simply wrong, as is all prejudice. That said, at some point I realized that the world is a hard place and that the bias wasn't going to just go away because it was unfair, so I began working on my speech and turned around those perceptions. But I alienated a few folks from my home because they felt that I was ashamed of my past. Nothing could be further from the truth, but how do you prove that? I had to choose between some friends and a successful future in the business world.

Right or wrong, these kids are going to be judged based on many things that have nothing to do with their abilities. We can try to avoid this kind of prejudicial behavior as individuals, but most don't even make the effort.
You and me both.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jeez, man. Didn't mean for my comments to bring up those memories.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
No, I was not offering a critique of what you said. Please do not take my comments that way. I was drawing some general inferences about student-athletes. Most, even at a place like Alabama, most football players will not get drafted. What they will get, however, is a free opportunity for an education. Sadly, at EMCC, it seems like too many are treating that educational opportunity as a distraction.
I didnt take that way but thought my previous post needed some clarification. Excellent point. Like NCAA commercial says, "Most of our student athletes will go pro in something other than sports." EMCC has been more successful than I realized getting kids to the big time collegiate level. I forgot about Quinton Dial and DJ Pettway as for the Bama connection both of which are on professional rosters (I believe DJ is playing in the CFL).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just finished season 2.
Man, Buddy has some issues. The way he treats people, he just needs to take a step back and watch these two seasons of Last Chance U and do some soul searching.
Coach Stephens' treatment of people leads me to a second observation. Some of those players are talented, but disruptive in the locker room. I believe #4 Isaiah Wright is a talented player, but his personality limits how effective he is going to be.
Kam Carter struck me as completely poisonous. I would not want him in the same county with any organization I had anything to do with. Some positives, but enormous negatives. I hope he does well at Pitt, but I'll be surprised if he does.
I think De'Andre Johnson will work well with CLK. He seems to have matured and he has talent. Hopefully he knows how his misconduct (he was the guy who punched a girl in Tallahassee) was a near-death experience.
Dakota Allen seemed to have the least downside and maybe the highest upside. I think he will do well back at Texas Tech. They can use all the defensive help they can get at TT.

I enjoyed the series, but sometimes it was hard to watch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just finished season 2.
Man, Buddy has some issues. The way he treats people, he just needs to take a step back and watch these two seasons of Last Chance U and do some soul searching.
The biggest problem is that he isn't trying to help the player or coach when he yells at them. He is just attacking them.

Both of my boys are involved in a very competitive drum and bugle corps. They get yelled at when they make the slightest mistake in practice, but that is followed up with instruction - identifying exactly what they did wrong and what they need to do to correct it. The two combined create an environment which hones the skills of those involved. Those in the corps understand the value in the correction, and they accept it even though they pay to participate (yeah, they pay a lot of money to get yelled at every weekend for 6 months/year). The only thing that they get in return is pride in their performance. No scholarships on the line. No huge pay day on the horizon. They could walk away at any time, but everyone stays and endures because it is clearly meant to help them.

There is a reason that almost all of the players talk back to the coaches at this school. Even with everything at stake (scholarships at bigger schools and their football future), they still openly rebel. They do so because there has been no trust or respect established. And why would a player trust or respect these coaches? When the coaches poor mouth a player because he cannot cut on an injured ankle in a game, or when they question his work ethic because he cannot practice fully - and they do so in front of other players - they make one thing clear, they do not care about the players. These coaches are trying to move up the coaching ladder, and these players are the rungs on the ladder.

If Coach Saban represents everything that is right about sports, this show exposes everything that is wrong with sports in general. The only person really trying to help these kids is the guidance counselor who quit at the end of the season because even she reached the end of her rope in dealing with the coaches. Everyone else is using them for their own gain.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Just watched episode 1 of season 2.

I really dislike Buddy.

I really like the dude in the credits who wrote the song about the show and season 1.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It just seems like a far less interesting "two a days" rip off. I think if it was more in a 30 for 30 setup it would be better, but it's a soulless version of Two a Days imo.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Well for Brittney not to talk to the coach the entire season about his players tells you a lot about Stephens. This was a total train wreck and I didnt have to worry about binge watching. Dont waste your time.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I just finished the season. I was rooting for their opponents by the end. Stephens is one of my most disliked figures in sports right now.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Well for Brittney not to talk to the coach the entire season about his players tells you a lot about Stephens. This was a total train wreck and I didnt have to worry about binge watching. Dont waste your time.
I wonder how successful they will be without Ms Wagner, seems like she is the one that really towed the line and earned the kids respect

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.