Last Chance U

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Most of these guys dont act like they deserve another chance
I agree, except for the kid from Texas Tech, who seemed to make the most of his second chance. As for the others, it's completely understandable how they got there. Their attitude doesn't change. Do their time, scrape to get by, try to get to the league which in most cases doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
What do yall think of Coach Stephens ? I'm not impressed by his football knowledge or his people skills.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The sad truth is that most of these kids will never play a down of professional football, so the most important thing football is going to do for them is to give them a chance for an education. Whether they take advantage of that or not is up to them, but a lot of these "student-athletes" at EMCC act like class is an inconvenience, not the reason they are at Scooba.
Even a supremely talented, hard-working guy like Tyrone Propthro never got to play a down in the NFL. And it wasn't even his fault. It wasn't a dirty play by the other side. It was just a tragic cut of the cards.
But Prothro earned his degree in 2008.
I wish more college football players were aware of his story.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Finished watching season 2 last night. If you enjoyed the first season, you will probably enjoy this season. This show, after 2 seasons, makes it clear just how hard it can be to manage young people. But it also makes it clear that a whole lot of these guys are struggling because of their horrible upbringing. Even though some of these players seem to not care, much of that can be attributed to the facade that they have put up to hide their feelings of inadequacy. They grew up in a world in which weakness cannot be shown. They each hide their weaknesses in different ways.

IMO, most of these guys needs some serious therapy to have any chance of living a normal life - and that includes their head coach.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I enjoyed the first season.

I'm not sure what lesson we can draw from this kind of thing. We are told things like "believe in the dream, reach for the stars etc" but almost nobody on any of these teams will play for a Power-5 team let alone the NFL. A few of the hotshots went on to big college at the end of Season 1, but I never noticed any of them play meaningful snaps. The QB went to Auburn and I think disappeared. We were extremely lucky to get Pettway and Reed and get something out of them.

At some point you have to make a business decision. There is a good life to be had working a government job, or a registered nurse, manufacturing, the Armed Services or emergency services, business administration etc. And most of the kids I saw in Season 1 would be quite incapable of getting or keeping or of being remotely satisfied with a job like that. I do not like to think where they will end up - like Rolando but without the $50m, maybe.

Someone mentioned Prothro - a great counter-example. Finished his degree, was working at a bank, I think he is coaching now. They need to get him to deliver a talk at EMCC. Not everyone is going to get to a 7 figure income.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Finished watching season 2 last night. If you enjoyed the first season, you will probably enjoy this season. This show, after 2 seasons, makes it clear just how hard it can be to manage young people. But it also makes it clear that a whole lot of these guys are struggling because of their horrible upbringing. Even though some of these players seem to not care, much of that can be attributed to the facade that they have put up to hide their feelings of inadequacy. They grew up in a world in which weakness cannot be shown. They each hide their weaknesses in different ways.

IMO, most of these guys needs some serious therapy to have any chance of living a normal life - and that includes their head coach.

Ding ding ding.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The sad truth is that most of these kids will never play a down of professional football, so the most important thing football is going to do for them is to give them a chance for an education. Whether they take advantage of that or not is up to them, but a lot of these "student-athletes" at EMCC act like class is an inconvenience, not the reason they are at Scooba.
Even a supremely talented, hard-working guy like Tyrone Propthro never got to play a down in the NFL. And it wasn't even his fault. It wasn't a dirty play by the other side. It was just a tragic cut of the cards.
But Prothro earned his degree in 2008.
I wish more college football players were aware of his story.
Good post. Unfortunately, the program sells them as a place to rebuild their image/grades and shows them the few success stories they've have such as Jarran Reed. Most of them don't pan out and get to the league. But, the kids do what kids do. They believe the line they're sold and go there to play football not get an education. Their support system (i.e., family & friends) tells them to focus on football because that's what pays the bills. Truthfully, they're hoping their son/family member makes it so they can also get paid too. Nothing about their program makes them more successful than other major JC such as Blinn.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Good post. Unfortunately, the program sells them as a place to rebuild their image/grades and shows them the few success stories they've have such as Jarran Reed. Most of them don't pan out and get to the league. But, the kids do what kids do. They believe the line they're sold and go there to play football not get an education. Their support system (i.e., family & friends) tells them to focus on football because that's what pays the bills. Truthfully, they're hoping their son/family member makes it so they can also get paid too. Nothing about their program makes them more successful than other major JC such as Blinn.
Two of the best students I had while teaching at Alabama were student athletes (women's track and women's basketball). Not the best student-athletes, the best students. These young ladies were just hyper-focused and skilled at managing their limited time. They have to be.

I had a football player as a student at Va Tech. He was a solid student, but he knew that Senior Day at Lane Stadium (or his bowl game senior year) was going to be the last time he donned a football uniform. The NFL was not in his future. He was using football to get Va Tech to pay for his Va Tech degree. Smart play, in my book. And nothing wrong with that. Va Tech puts 1-3 players in the league each year, so figure the odds.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Two of the best students I had while teaching at Alabama were student athletes (women's track and women's basketball). Not the best student-athletes, the best students. These young ladies were just hyper-focused and skilled at managing their limited time. They have to be.

I had a football player as a student at Va Tech. He was a solid student, but he knew that Senior Day at Lane Stadium (or his bowl game senior year) was going to be the last time he donned a football uniform. The NFL was not in his future. He was using football to get Va Tech to pay for his Va Tech degree. Smart play, in my book. And nothing wrong with that. Va Tech puts 1-3 players in the league each year, so figure the odds.
I'm sure there are excellent student athletes at every university/JC. I was commenting on EMCC and the way it's portraying the school on the show. Thus, mentioned Jarran Reed. He's kinda THE success story for EMCC. Thought I would clarify as it seems you thought I was talking about student athletes in general. My mistake if I was unclear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.