John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Tumor

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't see where this had been posted, so I'll go ahead and do it.

I did not vote for Senator McCain in 2008, but I have always respected the guy. (I've long said the same of the late liberal Paul Wellstone, whom I disagreed with on virtually every issue and yet who I admired for his willingness to stand up to Pres Bush on roaring into Iraq).

For those who don't know - the prognosis on this is NOT very good at all. It is a terrible and ghastly way to die, something I would not wish on my worst enemy. And while I'm a firm believer in God and prayer, the fact of the matter is that in all probability this is going to end badly. As my brother the news producer said (and he has no medical training but he's reported enough things to pick up bits of knowledge here and there), even if one assumes low staging, the fact is that McCain is 80 years old and spent 5 1/2 years getting beat up in the Hanoi Hilton.

The most repugnant thing I've seen so far is a Trump supporter on my Facebook who posted that lie about McCain being pardoned by Nixon for treason. Most of what I've seen has at least been minimally encouraging.

I realize this nation's politics can be toxic, but I would hope there would be a line drawn by decent people everywhere. I've always thought of McCain as a guy who answered duty when it called and paid a horrible price for his service, even though I never felt that service entitled him to the Chief Executive office. I do sincerely hope perhaps against hope for a speedy and full recovery.

I've told my favorite McCain story here, but here it is again.

In 1988, GHW Bush selected Dan Quayle for the VP slot, a selection considered an embarrassment at best and a scandal at worst. McCain was chosen because of his reputation for integrity to go on those morning news shows and shill for the assets of Quayle. McCain basically went on one of them and suggested that the 41-year old Quayle might help draw female voters (can you even imagine someone saying this nowadays?). When he got off the air, Republican aide Torrie Clarke told McCain that he needed to present a stronger case for Quayle, whom McCain had served with on the Armed Services Committee. McCain retorted, "Torrie, I know three things about Dan Quayle: he's good looking, he's a scratch golfer, and he's dumber than (feces). I went with his strength."

And that was that.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Yeah, tough stuff. Politically, I am neither a big fan nor a hater. He's neo-con, and I'm Libertarian. We agree sometimes, and sometimes we don't. Personally, I admire the heck out of his courage during his stint in the Hanoi Hilton.

Godspeed, Senator.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Sad to hear this. I voted for him in the 2000 primaries. I thought he would be a better option than GWB. I lost my grandfather to brain cancer (he aslo had prostate cancer at the time.), it was horrible to watch. This hits close to home.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Second all you said about the disease I saw my brother and a 1st cousin die with it, so naturally I fear it. I doubt he receives the Jimmy Carter miracle...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Hate to see it. How old is he? 85 or so? Makes you wonder about the odd questioning of Comey.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is certainly a serious issue for Senator McCain and I will pray for him. I wanted to vote for him in 2008, but could not in good conscience support his running mate. I will always suspect the RNC forced her on him to offset the Dems choice of a black candidate. I respect and appreciate his service to our country as a Naval Aviator and U.S. Senator.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm not trying to sidetrack this so let me start by saying I wish him well in his battle.
Secondly, and just as important, I haven't respected him for almost 50 years. I have my reasons which are shared by many other Vietnam Veterans. He has been much more our nemesis than our friend.

Goodbye, John.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm not trying to sidetrack this so let me start by saying I wish him well in his battle.
Secondly, and just as important, I haven't respected him for almost 50 years. I have my reasons which are shared by many other Vietnam Veterans. He has been much more our nemesis than our friend.

Goodbye, John.
I mean he was a war hero, and an absolute hypocrite of a Senator. I supposed you can be both, but I still wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wish him well in his battle.

Other than that, I've decided my best course of action here is to follow my Mom's advice and just keep my mouth shut...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Second all you said about the disease I saw my brother and a 1st cousin die with it, so naturally I fear it. I doubt he receives the Jimmy Carter miracle...
Yeah, and Carter's case was different. He didn't have a glioblastoma, he had a melanoma that had metastasized to his brain. In no way am I dismissing melanoma (first person I ever knew who had cancer that died was a 37-year old with melanoma in early 1982), but it's not a glioblastoma.

I had a doctor friend (pathologist) I worked with three years ago. I guess he was about 52. He was the kindest guy, sharper than a tack. Right after beginning of the year, he suddenly developed a temper, was real short (he'd always been patient) with people, and uttered things incoherently. (In December 2013, he'd come across as very angry with me, which he'd never done before - just once; I chalked it up to holiday depression). He went in for a routine biopsy and after they looked at the CT, they stopped, afraid they couldn't stop the bleeding if it started. My boss came in crying one Friday afternoon and told me. When I asked my VA doctor friend, "When I say glioblastoma multiformae, what comes to mind?" One word: death.

Obviously nobody 'wants' cancer but three you most certainly don't want are this one, pancreatic, and bone.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, and Carter's case was different. He didn't have a glioblastoma, he had a melanoma that had metastasized to his brain. In no way am I dismissing melanoma (first person I ever knew who had cancer that died was a 37-year old with melanoma in early 1982), but it's not a glioblastoma.

I had a doctor friend (pathologist) I worked with three years ago. I guess he was about 52. He was the kindest guy, sharper than a tack. Right after beginning of the year, he suddenly developed a temper, was real short (he'd always been patient) with people, and uttered things incoherently. (In December 2013, he'd come across as very angry with me, which he'd never done before - just once; I chalked it up to holiday depression). He went in for a routine biopsy and after they looked at the CT, they stopped, afraid they couldn't stop the bleeding if it started. My boss came in crying one Friday afternoon and told me. When I asked my VA doctor friend, "When I say glioblastoma multiformae, what comes to mind?" One word: death.

Obviously nobody 'wants' cancer but three you most certainly don't want are this one, pancreatic, and bone.
My brother had the glial, my mother had the pancreatic. No one with bone yet..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My brother had the glial, my mother had the pancreatic. No one with bone yet..
Ouch.

My ex-brother-in-law died a year ago this month from panc. It was excruciating to watch. One day it was like nothing was wrong, the next day he couldn't even move it hurt so bad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.