Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I don't do this but everyone tells me my southern accent disappears when I am on the phone. I also do it when talking to certain people.
I lost mine sometime during college or before. But when I go home, and I'm there for a couple days, it starts coming back.

I've lived in the Midwest for over 20 years. But I still drop my 'g''s on some words. Some say they can detect a tinge of my Southern accent. Especially when I get tired.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Vocal Fry

I never heard of this until I saw your post. Now I know why my 35 year old daughter sounds so weird. Thanks.

A lot of young females but also other men and women as well. I work with a guy who does this constantly when talking business. Watch some of the fixer upper shows on TV; most of the women will have conversations with one voice but discuss features or technical aspects using vocal fry.
I never heard of this until I saw your post. Now I know why my 35 year old daughter sounds so weird. Thanks.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This isn't necessarily a word or phrase but a social schtick that scrapes on my nerves. A person who is commonly known throughout the community to be extraordinarily rich who constantly jokes about "being broke" and "wish he could afford to do that" when among people who are several tax brackets below him. Here's how this normally works. A group of guys are standing around and all of them (except him) are basically middle class folks. As they stand and wait for baseball practice to be over they shoot the bull about things guys normally talk about. Anything from fishing, vacationing, hunting, sports, vehicles etc. One of the middle class guys say "We just got back from Pensacola, FL on vacation." Then this guy demonstratively pipes in "Man I wish we could afford to do that. Must be nice." Over the course of the conversation he does this more times than he should to the point of being annoying. All the while never mentioning the pics he and his wife posted on FB of them vacationing in Scotland just a few weeks ago. Maybe he's trying to "fit in" because he knows the company he's standing around isn't in the same stratosphere when comes to tax brackets. And that's his way of just trying to be one of the guys. But geeze, it actually does the opposite.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Something that bothers me a little... When talking to a group or submitting a letter to folks, people often say, "I'd like to thank so-and-so...". I try to avoid this when talking to a group of folks and just thank the person outright. "Thank you, so-and-so...". If you'd like to thank somebody, go ahead and do it; don't tell me that you'd like to thank somebody.

This forum has a like button and a thank button but not a like-to-thank button.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Something that bothers me a little... When talking to a group or submitting a letter to folks, people often say, "I'd like to thank so-and-so...". I try to avoid this when talking to a group of folks and just thank the person outright. "Thank you, so-and-so...". If you'd like to thank somebody, go ahead and do it; don't tell me that you'd like to thank somebody.

This forum has a like button and a thank button but not a like-to-thank button.
When people pray aloud, they thank the Lord in this form, and furthermore, they add in a "just" even when they go on and on with a dozen things they are thankful for.

I Just Want To Thank You Lord

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
In recognizing a group. It is not each and everyone. It is either each one or every one.
It's not "each and everyone". It's "each and every one" with the same meaning as "each one and every one". It's kind of like the distributive property of multiplication in language: (each + every) x (one) = each (one) + (every) one

"every one" means the same thing as "each one" and they are paired for emphasis.

Everyone or Every One: What’s the Difference?
When to Use Every One

Every one, as you can see, is two words. It is an emphatic way of saying each.

If you are referring to each individual item or the individuals who make up a group, you will want to use the two-word every one. For example,

God bless us, every one!
Every one of the brothers was there last night.
Every one of these apples is rotten.
Each and every one of the cards you gave me was worthless.

If you ever find yourself using the phrase “each and every one,” as the above sentence does, you should never substitute the single-word “everyone.” Everyone refers to all members of a group and the word “each” tells us that what follows is meant to be specific.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
“Come on, it’ll be fun”

No....no, it won’t. I assure you forcing me to ride a roller coaster that will make me sick the rest of the day will not be fun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.