Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
A few things I dislike hearing:

At work:
"That's not my job." - It is if I ask you to do it
"Because we have always done it that way" or "We never did it that way." - Well just because it was always one way doesn't mean that's the way it should have been. There was a time when slavery was a "we always did that" situation too.

In media, I hate hearing the word "articulate" used about an athlete. Not because the word is an insult or anything negative in and of itself. However, I have noticed something about that word. When you hear it, I can almost guarantee that they are talking about an African American athlete. I never hear that about a Caucasian athlete. So, are they saying that as if it is a surprise that this black athlete can speak well, therefore it needs to be noted? I am white, but if I were African American, I would feel insulted every time this word was used.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's not "each and everyone". It's "each and every one" with the same meaning as "each one and every one". It's kind of like the distributive property of multiplication in language: (each + every) x (one) = each (one) + (every) one

"every one" means the same thing as "each one" and they are paired for emphasis.

Everyone or Every One: What’s the Difference?
Agreed. And there's a corollary that is absolutely out of hand -- the abuse of, "every day."

Every day = on a daily basis.

Everyday = Ordinary, run-of-the-mill, OK but nothing special.

Yet, on a daily basis -- that would be every day -- I see people who should know better using, "everyday" to indicate the concept of at least once during each 24 hour period.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
'But Her Emails' in a mocking tone from the Left to the Right.
People really need to get some new material.
While not a phrase, I wish we would confine the memes to the meme thread. They are as useless as bragging about post count and usually only posted to be condescending to another member.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.