Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Not answering the question that was asked is my biggest pet peeve.
“Did you get any chips?” “I haven’t been to Walmart.”
“What time do you want to leave?” “I’ve got to walk the dogs before we leave.”
“How long does it take to get to your parents house?” “I still have clothes in the dryer.”
My wife has mastered this art. To her there is no such thing as a yes or no answer.

Confusing they’re, there, and their is one I see on this board a lot. However, grammar police bother me more than the mistakes.

There is no “e” in ridiculous.

It irritates me when someone I call Mr. or Mrs. is addressed by their first name by someone thirty years younger than I. We are from the South. Please show respect for your elders.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
“How long does it take to get to your parents house?” “I still have clothes in the dryer.”
My wife has mastered this art. To her there is no such thing as a yes or no answer.

Confusing they’re, there, and their is one I see on this board a lot. However, grammar police bother me more than the mistakes.

There is no “e” in ridiculous.

It irritates me when someone I call Mr. or Mrs. is addressed by their first name by someone thirty years younger than I. We are from the South. Please show respect for your elders.
When I moved to the Midwest, it took me a long time to tolerate kids calling me by my 1st name. One of my daughter's friends asked me once, "What's your name?" I answered, "Mister."

I also hate it when I start to make a statement or ask a question, and before I can get the 2nd syllable out of my mouth, I hear, "Whaaaat??"

Or trying to give my phone number to a customer or vendor, and they keep saying "OK" while you are trying to relay the number. Then, "I didn't get the last part." Me: "Well it's because you didn't shut up long enough for me to give you my number."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
When I moved to the Midwest, it took me a long time to tolerate kids calling me by my 1st name. One of my daughter's friends asked me once, "What's your name?" I answered, "Mister."

I also hate it when I start to make a statement or ask a question, and before I can get the 2nd syllable out of my mouth, I hear, "Whaaaat??"

Or trying to give my phone number to a customer or vendor, and they keep saying "OK" while you are trying to relay the number. Then, "I didn't get the last part." Me: "Well it's because you didn't shut up long enough for me to give you my number."
My wife has encountered several students over her years of teaching whose parents will not allow their kids to say "Sir", "No Sir" or "Ma'am", "Yes Ma'am" to adults (in this case to their school teachers). Supposedly it's "degrading" to them.

My ten year old played baseball for a guy who's "old school". Had a kid who wouldn't say his "sirs". Coach kept correcting him 'til finally Mama confronted the coach after practice and said their son wasn't required to say "sirs". That a "yes" and "no" is sufficient. Coach told her "He can do that on that side of the fence and on your time. But when he's on this side of the fence and on my time. He'll address me sir, no sir and yes sir. If he can't do that then you need to go find another team." She went and found another team.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My wife has encountered several students over her years of teaching whose parents will not allow their kids to say "Sir", "No Sir" or "Ma'am", "Yes Ma'am" to adults (in this case to their school teachers). Supposedly it's "degrading" to them.
I don't get it. Who is the one being degraded.....student or teacher?

Seems to me to be a matter of respect to your elders.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't get it. Who is the one being degraded.....student or teacher?

Seems to me to be a matter of respect to your elders.
based on my experience, the ma'am and sir are very southern things (and decreasingly so it seems). it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

regardless, i support the coach in bamabuzzard's post above.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
based on my experience, the ma'am and sir are very southern things (and decreasingly so it seems). it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

regardless, i support the coach in bamabuzzard's post above.
I was always taught to address someone how they wanted to be addressed (outside of obviously ridiculous situations). Especially when it dealt with a child and an adult. Heck, I've had older co-workers who were a salary grade or four higher than I was explicitly tell me (and others) to address them "Mr." and their last name. They weren't my boss/direct report either. I can only imagine what would have happened if I would have said- "I don't do that. Your first name is sufficient."

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you've ever flown New Zealand Airways....the attendants all make a point of saying "Please" and "Thank you" when speaking to each other.

They do to demonstrate courtesy.

Perhaps it's a different slant from the "Sir" and Ma'am" discussion, I don't know.

I was at the time and have been ever since, very impressed to observe what some will do in the quest to maintain a degree of etiquette.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
“How long does it take to get to your
parents house?” “I still have clothes in the dryer.”
My wife has mastered this art. To
her there is no such thing as a yes or no answer.
We must be married to the same woman!:eek:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
“throwing shade”
“broke the internet”
Twitter “erupted”, “went crazy”, etc.
“clickbait”
Twitter
Can we just get rid of all the clickbait buzzwords?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.