Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
“Please feel free to contact me”—most often in email or other written communications. Why would I NOT feel free to contact somebody when I have their contact information?? If I need to do it, don’t worry—I WILL contact you!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
“Data” in public education

I’m so sick of hearing “let’s look at the data,” “how are we developing our lessons based on the data,” and “here’s the data for you and your team to plan effective lessons.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This one's been around for a while, but is another example that is getting so pervasive that a lot of people think it's correct English: "would have," in place of "had."

As in, "If all our coaches would have been fully engaged, the outcome of the Clemson game might have been different."

For all that's holy, it's, "If all our coaches had been fully engaged, the outcome of the Clemson game might have been different.

Exponentially worse though is, "would of," used in the same way. I see that occasionally, just not nearly as much as, "would have."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
“Data” in public education

I’m so sick of hearing “let’s look at the data,” “how are we developing our lessons based on the data,” and “here’s the data for you and your team to plan effective lessons.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just as bad is "metrics". By all metrics this is the outcome.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.