Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If we all can be proactive, we can cut out each and every one of these. At the end of the day, this will greatly affect our lives in a positive manner. Trust me on this.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
*Hisself

"He's going to help hisself a lot." My wife uses this word, and I've tried to explain to her that "hisself" is not a word.

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
One thing that bugs me is when someone is having an argument and cannot formulate a point, so instead commences to repeat a word or phrase over and over again, usually shouting it. "Whatever! Whatever! Whatever! . . . Whatever! Whatever!" Seeing two people do this to each other, while both seemingly thinking whoever speaks last wins, is excruciating.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Not necessarily a word, but I cannot stand it when someone uses a rising pitch or an added "-uh" on the final word in every sentence they utter. It seems to be an issue with young women more so then young men. I have seen it sneaking across the gender barrier a bit more lately.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Two things:

"Awesome" when used to describe the most mundane of accomplishments (which seems to be the usage more often that not). "I have finished cleaning my comb." "Awesome!"

Reflexive pronoun misuse, specifically, "myself." "When you have completed your test please hand it to Mr. Howard or myself." No, no, NO!! Please hand it to Mr. Howard or ME!! An awful lot of educated people make this mistake and it really makes me cringe.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
One word that I think was created in my generation was "Rad" (RADical). I think that word was left there to. I NEVER hear it used.
I hear it from time to time but I think mostly it is used with a bit of sarcasm involved. I would say ironically but some people don't like that either.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Millennials.
Irregardless (as mentioned already)
"I'll tell you what........" then they don't finish the statement.
Sport fan base with self-nickname, ala Best fans in baseball (St. Louis) or "America's Team" (ie Cowboys).
cowinky-dinky instead of coincidence.
"Remember when...." used by a kid. (ANd by a kid anybody under my age, which is 36. Yes, I know to some on this board, I would still classified as a "kid", but I'm talking a kid, not shaving yet, kid.)
Youtube star. Like being a youtube star is a legitimate thing. That is on par with being a reality tv show star, ala The Kardashians.
"As if."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.