Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I'm certainly not qualified to critique others speech, but this uneducated redneck cringes when I see or hear my MBA thumping co-workers misusing the words lose and loose, and also when an update is needed on a project our team is working on and someone asks for advice instead of saying something like "please advise on status".

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You are correct, in the past I have done everything I can to stay away from that part of Georgia which was difficult when driving from Alabama to South Carolina.
My wife and I made the Spartanburg-to-Birmingham-to-Tuscaloosa-and-back-again drive for 2 years in the early 90's when I worked for a major manufacturer based in Spartanburg. We chose to take I-20 to I-85 and avoid I-285 because I-285 was a disaster route even back then.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am sure I-285 is worse now than it was back in the 80' and 90's when if you drove between 75-80 mph you were creeping along.
I knew somebody in college that actually got a speeding ticket on 285. All of us were shocked and couldn't help but wonder just how fast was she going. She never told us, But my guess was 100+.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Someone mentioned your and you're. I can't do a link due to language, but go to YouTube and do a search for you're vs. your.

The language is fairly mild, but wanted to be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JF3

Scout Team
Jul 16, 2004
Phenix City, AL
I do not like the phrase, "I need to reach out to him/her/them".
No... If they are within arm's reach of you, just talk to them.
If they are not within arm's reach of you; Just call, text, mail a letter, or send an e-mail to them.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
when an update is needed on a project our team is working on and someone asks for advice instead of saying something like "please advise on status".
Personally, I don't really like the use of 'advise' as 'notify' or 'inform'

I prefer the use of 'advise' as 'recommend'

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do not like the phrase, "I need to reach out to him/her/them".
No... If they are within arm's reach of you, just talk to them.
If they are not within arm's reach of you; Just call, text, mail a letter, or send an e-mail to them.
Yeah, that is a bad one.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
my wife loves it when i tell her, "yes you are nauseous" ;)
or noxious :D

The #1 definition on Google refers to the affected person, not the nauseating agent....

affected with nausea; inclined to vomit.
"a rancid, cloying odor that made him nauseous"
synonyms: sick, nauseated, queasy, bilious, green around the gills, ill, unwell; More
seasick, carsick, airsick, travel-sick;
informal barfy;
rare qualmish
"the food made her feel nauseous"
causing nausea; offensive to the taste or smell.
"the smell was nauseous"

Informal barfy

haha

Last edited:

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Personally, I don't really like the use of 'advise' as 'notify' or 'inform' I prefer the use of 'advise' as 'recommend'
Understood, however Google dictionary says:

inform (someone) about a fact or situation, typically in a formal or official way.
[COLOR=#878787 !important]"you will be advised of the requirements"[/COLOR]
synonyms:inform of, notify about/of, give notice of, apprise of, warn of, forewarn of; acquaint with, make familiar with, keep posted about, update about/on;
informalfill in on
"you will be advised of the requirements"

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
When I say: "Thank you." ---- and get the reply: "No problem."

:mad:
LOL...I'm guilty of this one. I just feel weird saying 'your welcome'. I guess it's because when I do anything nice for someone I'm not doing it for recognition. It feels more modest to just say that it's no big deal to be nice....hence the 'No problem'.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm usually not bothered by verbal misuse of the english language. But one exception is how really strong southern accents can mangle certain words and specifically contractions. The biggest example would be 'Cain't'. I can not stand it, I cannot stand it, and I can't stand it. 'Cain't' is NOT a word!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.