Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
LOL...I'm guilty of this one. I just feel weird saying 'your welcome'. I guess it's because when I do anything nice for someone I'm not doing it for recognition. It feels more modest to just say that it's no big deal to be nice....hence the 'No problem'.
Perhaps you feel weird saying "your welcome" because the proper response is "you're welcome?"
:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
LOL...I'm guilty of this one. I just feel weird saying 'your welcome'. I guess it's because when I do anything nice for someone I'm not doing it for recognition. It feels more modest to just say that it's no big deal to be nice....hence the 'No problem'.
OK I understand what you're saying. But IMHO, when you say "You're welcome" you are merely acknowledging to the other party that they are "deserving" of your attention to whatever action took place. Has nothing to do with taking credit for anything. More like exchanging pleasantries.

Make sense?

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Jessie Palmer used to kill me with his frequent use of the phrase "dialed up". All analysts used it for a while but he ran it into the ground. The one I hate these days is "intriguing". Games or matchups cannot be interesting anymore. They have to be intriguing.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The use of present and future tense when referring to something in the past. I guess it is a short cut to using words like would have, will and had. I'm usually all for cutting words out but not at the expense of making sense.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Pet peeve is use of the word "individual". "We have an individual under arrest" " The individual driving the car is deceased."etc etc. Just use person darn it!! :mad:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
OK I understand what you're saying. But IMHO, when you say "You're welcome" you are merely acknowledging to the other party that they are "deserving" of your attention to whatever action took place. Has nothing to do with taking credit for anything. More like exchanging pleasantries.

Make sense?
Perfect.

I think a "no problem" might be appropriate if, for example, one does a favor or service for someone that goes beyond what might be considered standard/expected/customary act. For example, if a server refills a tea glass: "Thank you" "You're welcome." If I ask to borrow my co-worker's stapler: "Thank you" "You're welcome." If I ask my server to go next door to the Asian food market and get me some Himalayan rock salt and he does so: "Thank you" then either "You're welcome", or "No problem" works ok.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
+100

I'm not sure that I have ever heard this used appropriately.
I thought "begs the question" was correct?

begs the question is a term that comes from formal logic. It's a translation of the Latin phrase petitio principii, and it's used to mean that someone has made a conclusion based on a premise that lacks support. ( ... (6) So Squiggly's argument is based on a faulty premise.Mar 6, 2014

'Bring the question' is a parliamentary term from Rules of Order.

Example would be: " Most of Tidewater's posts beg the question".:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.