Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I thought "begs the question" was correct?

begs the question is a term that comes from formal logic. It's a translation of the Latin phrase petitio principii, and it's used to mean that someone has made a conclusion based on a premise that lacks support. ( ... (6) So Squiggly's argument is based on a faulty premise.Mar 6, 2014

'Bring the question' is a parliamentary term from Rules of Order.

Example would be: " Most of Tidewater's posts beg the question".:)

My goodness. How can you say that? I'm the poster child for evidentiary support (if evidentiary support had a poster child).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Example of begging the question:
"Prosecutor to defendant: So how did you feel when you killed your wife?"
The premise being investigated is whether the defendant killed his wife, but the question is based on the assumption that he did.

Or, one in Seebell's wheelhouse:
"People who deny the truth of Marxism are simply dancing to the tune of their capitalist masters, as Marx understood so well."

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think I've seen this one listed but this one drives me absolutely nuts. It drives me even more nuts because Gus Malzahn's wife used it on that famously funny interview with her and him where she seemed to be "on something". But the phrase "SHUT UP!" upon hearing something shocking, exciting or unbelievable.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I just have to say it - I HATE all the little negative and mocking nicknames given to coaches or people in sports, specifically college football.

Barners, Bammers, LSWHO, Free Shoes U, Mahlzoon, Nick Satan, Fat Phil, Urban Liar, Harbarf, Harbluff, $cam Newton -

It just feels so completely childish - like playground putdowns. Just morphing someones name to find an easy putdown.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I just have to say it - I HATE all the little negative and mocking nicknames given to coaches or people in sports, specifically college football.

Barners, Bammers, LSWHO, Free Shoes U, Mahlzoon, Nick Satan, Fat Phil, Urban Liar, Harbarf, Harbluff, $cam Newton -

It just feels so completely childish - like playground putdowns. Just morphing someones name to find an easy putdown.
moo

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Not a particular word or phrase but...
Asking a question to make a point and then answering it. I'd prefer someone to just make the statement.
For example, "Does this bother me? Yes." How about just saying, "this bothers me".

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Agree, but I will always refuse to capitalize the names of those for whom I have zero respect.

fulmer is the perfect example.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.