Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Server: "What are we having for dinner?"

My unspoken response accompanied by a momentary blank stare: "I don't know what you're having, but I know you've not been invited to dine with us."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Server: "What are we having for dinner?"

My unspoken response accompanied by a momentary blank stare: "I don't know what you're having, but I know you've not been invited to dine with us."
Reminded me of another of my pet peeves - when a waiter / waitress asks "Are you still working on that?" while trying to ascertain if i'm finished with my meal.

Working on that?

Goodness.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In the spirit of "complete transparency" so often used by politicians who are always telling the truth. :rolleye2:

Another one of late "political operatives". Sounds sinister, oh wait they are.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
In the spirit of "complete transparency" so often used by politicians who are always telling the truth. :rolleye2:

Another one of late "political operatives". Sounds sinister, oh wait they are.
Similar meaningless expression:

So-and-so "does not reflect the values of our institution."

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Reminded me of another of my pet peeves - when a waiter / waitress asks "Are you still working on that?" while trying to ascertain if i'm finished with my meal.

Working on that?

Goodness.
I had a waitress at Cracker Barrel say that to me once as she was reaching for my plate. I was pretty hungry that day and wasn't finished. I told her "Be careful or you might draw back a nub".

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I had a waitress at Cracker Barrel say that to me once as she was reaching for my plate. I was pretty hungry that day and wasn't finished. I told her "Be careful or you might draw back a nub".
Instead of "nub" it was "bloody stump" when my dad shared that phrase with us back in the 60's.

He got a big kick out of that. Was a stickler for proper etiquette. Used to also use the phrase "the King's English" when critiquing those who revert to using curse words while communicating.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.