Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
. . listening to Bham sportstalk radio Friday, heard a spot for an auto dealer near Riverchase, it included the phrase " . .he should have went to Riverchase (Auto dealer) . . "

Not a live tag, but part of the ad. My, my... even the agencies and copy writers - supposedly professional wordsmiths- can't speak the language correctly.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
. . listening to Bham sportstalk radio Friday, heard a spot for an auto dealer near Riverchase, it included the phrase " . .he should have went to Riverchase (Auto dealer) . . "

Not a live tag, but part of the ad. My, my... even the agencies and copy writers - supposedly professional wordsmiths- can't speak the language correctly.
T.N.N. :rolleyes:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
IMO or IMHO. This doesn't bother me too much but when I see this I always think "Duh. You are on a message board and just gave a point that is not fact. We already know it is your opinion. You do not need to add that."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO or IMHO. This doesn't bother me too much but when I see this I always think "Duh. You are on a message board and just gave a point that is not fact. We already know it is your opinion. You do not need to add that."
I agree with this and, will try to refrain from this in future posts. While we are on this I wish people who use abbreviated words would every once in a while explain what they mean. Or maybe someone would pin a thread so others can search for its meaning to avoid asking what these type abbreviations mean. WDYT(what do you think)?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree with this and, will try to refrain from this in future posts. While we are on this I wish people who use abbreviated words would every once in a while explain what they mean. Or maybe someone would pin a thread so others can search for its meaning to avoid asking what these type abbreviations mean. WDYT(what do you think)?
AMEN from the back row!!! LOL! My wife and I ran into this during baseball season with my oldest son's coach. He's in his early 30's and he communicates information to us through a group text. But the problem is half of his messages are abbreviations and my wife and I have no idea what most of them mean. I guess the younger folks communicate like this and all of these abbreviations are common language to them. It's not to us old folks pushing middle 40's.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
— Quick question....
— Inserting “Right?” into every sentence. Which took the place of another crotchet...
— Inserting “You know” into every sentence, often multiple times.
— value-add
— “effort” used as a verb
— “impact” used as a verb
— “up” used as a verb
— “would have” used as a substitute for “had”. As in, “If the kicker would have made the kick, we would have won. In the name of all that is holy, it’s, “If the kicker had made the kick, we would have won.”
— even worse, using “would of” in the same way.
— strength pronounced “strinth”
— length pronounced “linth”
— accessory pronounced “assessory”

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
— Quick question....
— Inserting “Right?” into every sentence. Which took the place of another crotchet...
— value-add
— “up” used as a verb
— “would have” used as a substitute for “had”. As in, “If the kicker would have made the kick, we would have won. In the name of all that is holy, it’s, “If the kicker had made the kick, we would have won.”
My mother in law is a retired grammar teacher of 30+ years. She said it is a blessing and a curse. When she is talking with someone (in just casual conversation) she said she has to force herself not to focus on their grammar. But rather what they are saying.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
— Quick question....
— value-add
— “up” used as a verb
* Agree on "Right?"........but it has to have the 20-something tinge of "Righ-eet?"

* The low-hanging fruit (not sure if they mean my truck nutz)

* At the end of the day...

* It is what it is....

* Acrosst...."I live acrosst Giles Boulevard from the Texaco"

* Literally......interchangeable with "figuratively", even if to the point of being redundant, and used constantly in conversation to the point of me yelling STFU.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
* Agree on "Right?"........but it has to have the 20-something tinge of "Righ-eet?"

* It is what it is....

* Literally......interchangeable with "figuratively", even if to the point of being redundant, and used constantly in conversation to the point of me yelling STFU.
It is what it is, right? At the end of the day it is literally about the low-hanging fruit acrosst from us - literally.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

* It is what it is....

Hey, watchyomouf! My grandmother and many other distinguished suthun grandmother's ended many of word with the sst. "Once-sst, twigh-sst, three times a lady!!!"

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Like used in every sentence. "Like, that was no way to treat someone."
Synergy
I've got your back. Slightly worse than "at the end of the day"
Boom. When auburn scores, boom KJ

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Vocal Fry

A lot of young females but also other men and women as well. I work with a guy who does this constantly when talking business. Watch some of the fixer upper shows on TV; most of the women will have conversations with one voice but discuss features or technical aspects using vocal fry.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
As we are on a sports board

Using the term "a product of" to describe a young man's hometown or high school. I was under the mistaken impression that we were referring to human beings.

A "real stud". How outdated and demeaning a term is this?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Vocal Fry

A lot of young females but also other men and women as well. I work with a guy who does this constantly when talking business. Watch some of the fixer upper shows on TV; most of the women will have conversations with one voice but discuss features or technical aspects using vocal fry.
That is taken a whole step farther when we look at the speech and mannerisms of West Point grads versus all others. The speech patterns of General Officers are so incredibly similar and have such an affectation as to provide a caricature of themselves. Thanks for the introduction of a new, to me, term.

BTW that appears to apply to many of the CEO's I have met. Not the great ones, the competent ones but the ones who have risen way beyond their competency level.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Vocal Fry

Weird. And I didn't even know there was a term for it until i heard it discussed on public radio. I just knew that I hated the sound, and how much of an affectation it was.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Vocal Fry

I don't do this but everyone tells me my southern accent disappears when I am on the phone. I also do it when talking to certain people.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.