Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There are words and phrases that when I hear them are like fingernails sliding down a chalkboard or feel like an abcessed tooth. These are a few I currently detest. What phrases or words drives you to drink?

"At the end of the day"
Reset
Trump surrogates

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I haven't been there "in a minute." I ain't seen Johnny "in a minute."

Drives me up the wall.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It is what it is (well duh!)

The Braves are two and one-half games out (good, I thought they might two and two-half out)

In an interview before his death (no kidding)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saying, "Right?!?" at the end of every sentence. I don't know if it's more grating than the incessant "you know" that it apparently replaced or not. It's a close call...right?!?

Using the reflexive unnecessarily and inappropriately. As in Gray Tide's post #10 above.

Using "I" in the objective case. As in, "John went to the beach with Jane and I." "I" is a nominative noun. John and I went to the beach with Jane. But John went to the beach with Jane and ME. [dammit]

Not knowing the difference between, "your" and, "you're."

Saying, "If I would have known..." It's, "If I had known...." For the record, "If I'd have known," is just as bad. It's a contraction of the mangled phrasing.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
"Fake news" drives me up the wall. The typical translation is actually "news with a slant I disagree with and have chosen to ignore".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Can anyone under 30 not use the word "like" 5 times in each sentence. I find myself not listening but counting the times they say "like" instead.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.