Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Can anyone under 30 not use the word "like" 5 times in each sentence. I find myself not listening but counting the times they say "like" instead.
Bingo.
Like, if you listen, to, like, a few, like, young people, with, like, poor vocabularies, you will, like, not enjoy, like, how frequently they say, like, "like."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Narrative as in false narrative or in the current narrative.

Remember when it was said, "well I guess we have a problem with that" or "that is going to be a problem". Now everything is problematic. Big time irritant.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Gravitas, like so over used like in the 90's. You know what I'm saying? (Another phrase I can't stand)

When someone starts a sentence with "actually ". Does this mean everything else you say is a lie?

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
1) Mixing of nominative and objective pronouns. (Although the use of "me" in place of "my" sounds rather British and is thus cool.)

2) Irregardless is not a word. I'm all for coining new words, but they should not negate their own intended meaning (see "I could care less").
3) People getting all worked up about the word "moist".

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I HATE the word "Impactful." Hate it.
It's already been mentioned but "irregardless" makes me want throw people through a plate glass window.

Almost any trendy word that the youth have coined. "Trill" "Respek" "Fam" "OTP" "Bae" "Ship" (not used to refer to a nautical vessel) "Skrill" "Swag" "Woke"

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Improper verb conjugation (tense) is another one.

Have ran, have ate, and have came drive me BSC. My head literally explodes when I hear them. <== See what I did right there?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
proactive

The word is active. No, active does not include reactive. Reactive has always been the opposite of active. Proactive is a made up word created to sell a few million books.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
When I say: "Thank you." ---- and get the reply: "No problem."

:mad:
Don't ever let me do anything for you then, :)

I say You're Welcome as well but sometimes mix it up with "It's no problem" or something along those lines.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Oh, goodness, there are so many...

Several have been covered already, including your versus you're, irregardless, and "I could care less." In addition...

(Some of these are written form only.)

Using apostrophes for plurality. No. No. NO. NO! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Affect versus effect.

Confusing i.e., i.e., that is, and e.g., i.e., for example, e.g., "Sometimes I like putting a condiment on my hot dog, i.e., ketchup or mustard." - which means that you are literally saying there are only two condiments in the world from which to choose: ketchup or mustard.

Peak versus pique. Nothing "peaks your interest."

Using "alot" - which is not a word - or "allot" - which is a word with an entirely different meaning - when you're trying to say "a lot."

Insure versus ensure.

Calling something ironic when it is simply just coincidental or unfortunate and not actually ironic.

Misusing literally, e.g., "That scared me so much I literally had a heart attack!" Um, no you didn't.

Using "should of" or "could of."

Double or triple negatives.

Hearing someone say or reading someone having written something like "Gosh, that literally shocked me to death when I learned it 'cause I was like there weren't no way I could of not never known that!" makes me literally want to shoot that person in the face.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"I could care less."
Oh, so you do care.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This annoyed me until I heard that this is only the first half of the complete statement: "I could care less, but I don't know how"

When someone starts a sentence with "actually ". Does this mean everything else you say is a lie?
No, it means that whatever is being said is a correction to a misconception, or otherwise in contrast to some other proposition

proactive

The word is active. No, active does not include reactive. Reactive has always been the opposite of active. Proactive is a made up word created to sell a few million books.
This may very well be an overused buzzword, but 'proactive' has a specific meaning suggesting anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes that is not sufficiently captured by 'active' The opposite of active is 'inactive' 'dormant' or 'idle'

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Almost any trendy word that the youth have coined. "Trill" "Respek" "Fam" "OTP" "Bae" "Ship" (not used to refer to a nautical vessel) "Skrill" "Swag" "Woke"
If you're trying to say my posting style isn't on fleek we're going to have words.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
"War ____ Eagle!"
"Roll ____ Tide!"

The added word is not need and just makes those who use it sound like a good for nothing, backwoods redneck. Plus, that Updyke idiot used the Bama version way too much and he is the first thing I think of whenever someone says the same phrase.

Guess I could add just plain old "War Eagle" to the list as well.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
"Having said that" or "That being said"

I don't remember these being used until the last 15 years or so. I don't even know what they mean. In most cases, they are a complete waste of words; in some cases, I think they may replace the word "however". I can read a forum thread and these phrases will show up in 3 or 4 posts in a row.

I do like how they can be used to completely disrespect someone just like "with all due respect". For example, "Jim's heart is in the right place; having said that, he is a complete idiot."

The next 2 just bother me a little but get old fast.

"At the end of the day"

"When it's all said and done"

"It is what it is"

I've heard a guy on the radio that I keep waiting for him to get all of these into one sentence; I know he comes close. Having said that, at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, it is what it is.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
One phrase that gives me a face palm is each and every one. Which is it? I want to thank each of you or I want to thank every one. Are they not all the same ones?

Proactive makes we want to puke.
Organic as in, the company wants organic growth.
Trust me or trust me on this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.