Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
When did primary become a verb? primaried
There aren't a lot of things people say that annoy me, but using a noun as a verb is among the most stupid trends in 'being cool' I've ever encountered. When I hear someone say "I'm too tired to adult today" I wanna slap the stupid out of them, but suspect they'd die before all the stupid left them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There aren't a lot of things people say that annoy me, but using a noun as a verb is among the most stupid trends in 'being cool' I've ever encountered. When I hear someone say "I'm too tired to adult today" I wanna slap the stupid out of them, but suspect they'd die before all the stupid left them.
i think you are fighting an uphill battle

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
10 years ago I had never heard this term, now it is suddenly a thing a ton of people say.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
10 years ago I had never heard this term, now it is suddenly a thing a ton of people say.
I'm slightly annoyed when otherwise intelligent people improperly use 'less' rather than 'fewer' (there are less people here today - *sigh*), but this is an abomination.

That said, while otherwise intelligent people have long allowed their desire to 'fit in' to impact their life, this 'noun as a verb' is particularly annoying. We regularly correct toddlers for simple grammatical errors, these adults should be slapped.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Administer > Administration > Administrate. What's next? "Distributate?" Why do we continually stick "a"s in where they never were before?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
When people mis-use myself and me. Can people not hear that it just doesn't sound right?

My wife and myself want to thank everyone.
Me and my wife went to the store.
Myself and my wife went to the game yesterday.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When people mis-use myself and me. Can people not hear that it just doesn't sound right?

My wife and myself want to thank everyone.
Me and my wife went to the store.
Myself and my wife went to the game yesterday.
How about "It happened to I and and a friend," and thinking you sound high falootin'?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My seventh grade teacher instructed us to “kill the other guy” if you are using a subject pronoun. He and I ate dinner. Kill one or the other becomes I ate dinner or he ate dinner.

In Tennessee people misuse tenses of the verb do. We done it. I done it. That makes my skin crawl.

Some people here pronounce Hawaii ... Hawahya. Jeepers.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
MO-bill for the city of Mobile
or
Mobul for the city of Mobile

"structural equation modeling"

Anything on a corporate buzzword bingo :D (like the following):

"Not in my bandwidth"

"Game changer"

"paradigm shift"

"social justice (warrior)"

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
when they're 90 these dummies still will not be able "to adult"

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I'm slightly annoyed when otherwise intelligent people improperly use 'less' rather than 'fewer' (there are less people here today - *sigh*), but this is an abomination.

That said, while otherwise intelligent people have long allowed their desire to 'fit in' to impact their life, this 'noun as a verb' is particularly annoying. We regularly correct toddlers for simple grammatical errors, these adults should be slapped.
I MIGHT occasionally say something like "less" meaning "fewer" (and vice-versa) and I also might say "well" when I mean "good" (and vice-versa). ... But, I would NEVER write it out wrong. ;)

Does that make me fewer less intelligent? :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.