Words and Phrases That Are Like Fingernails on a Chalkboard to You

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I allow a huge difference between writing and talking as well as a gap between formal writing and forum talk. I also don't mind the different accents and local pronunciations used by folks.

A lot of folks talk in at least two different languages depending on the circumstances. I've lately drifted back to my old ways even when addressing hundreds of people instead of my corporate world voice; maybe the older I get, the less I care.

I've read that people pick up their primary accent from other kids when very young (e.g. elementary school age) even more than from their parents and this will carry with them though there can be many changes depending on where they live afterwards. But it's always there, waiting to come back out... I need to have sub-titles like some of the guys on Moonshiners or Swamp People if (rarely) I get to drinking.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I allow a huge difference between writing and talking as well as a gap between formal writing and forum talk. I also don't mind the different accents and local pronunciations used by folks.

A lot of folks talk in at least two different languages depending on the circumstances. I've lately drifted back to my old ways even when addressing hundreds of people instead of my corporate world voice; maybe the older I get, the less I care.

I've read that people pick up their primary accent from other kids when very young (e.g. elementary school age) even more than from their parents and this will carry with them though there can be many changes depending on where they live afterwards. But it's always there, waiting to come back out... I need to have sub-titles like some of the guys on Moonshiners or Swamp People if (rarely) I get to drinking.
Completely agree. I've worked in corporate America for approximately 20 years and when I leave the office I like leaving all the "professionalism" behind for a while. I like returning to my southern dialect with all of it's "fixin' to's" and other not so grammatically correct verbiage.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It’s not a word or a phrase, but it bothers me when someone presumes a question is going to be asked so they ask it themselves then answer their own question. It usually comes with two questions.

Do I want Bama to beat Auburn? Of course I do.

Am I going to commit suicide if Bama loses? Probably not.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One of, if the most annoying is the misuse of the phrase "one of, if not the most ..."
I suggest, "This is one of the most annoying phrases. It may be the most annoying."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Doubles down ... I’m hearing it every day now.
Yeah, the news media has created an entire new vocabulary based on news reporter, media hosts, and politicians and it all seems related to the current occupant of the WH and his sycophants (love that word). I will attempt to update this post as new words and phrases appear. Feel free to join in the fun. :rolleye2:

double down and triple down are quite popular when referring to Trump's digging his heels in on a controversial topic he created.

guard rails, no adult in the room to keep the POS from doing what he wants without regard of consequences to those affected.

off ramp, some form of exit strategy from a bad situation the POS created. Not used much

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
“Throwing shade” is another one I’m tired of hearing.
This was brought up about 7 pages ago by me, along with every internet buzz word that is popular right now. I am fortunate enough to work in an office where everyone (except one) is over 38 and hates this lingo too. The one person that is not over 38 is Chinese and doesn't get the slang anyway.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
“Truth to power”—another worn out phrase, usually said in a political context, seemingly always from the left side of the spectrum. I’d rather stick my head in a tub of ice water than hear it again, and these too:

“End game”—“ what’s the end game here?”

“Brinksmanship”—“in an act of brinksmanship, ....”

“Tweak”—“we might need to tweak this a few times”

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
“Talent acquisition partner” or “people leader”. These are hot in the corporate world right now and spoken ad nauseam in my industry. Translation— simply means hiring clerk or someone in the HR profession.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Apostrophe abuse. As in, using an apostrophe to indicate plural. Drives me nuts that it's now so pervasive that many people think it's actually correct English.

Recent peeve: not understanding the difference between "every day" and "everyday." Another one that's getting so pervasive that many people think it's right.

For the record, "every day" means on a daily basis. As in, "I read TideFans every day."

"Everyday" means ordinary, run-of-the-mill, nothing special. As in, "TideFans is not an everyday sports board."

And yes, I feel kind of like Sysiphus in both of these.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.