NASCAR is DEAD

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
wow

I thought NASCAR was popular, what happened?
I typed out a snarky response mocking NASCAR and it's fans before realizing it wasn't helpful and only served to give me an inflated sense of superiority.

So my reply is now boiled down to:

I've never understood the appeal of NASCAR and am unsurprised that people aren't interested in going.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Insider: Few show up to witness wild Brickyard finish

Like Ryan, fans had been turned off by years of single-file racing, with one driver running away from the pack. After years of hundreds of thousands of fans filling out the Indianapolis Motor Speedway grandstands, only an estimated 35,000 were in attendance Sunday to witness a thrilling finish.

“It’s gotten more and more difficult to watch,” said Ritz, who said he is excited about the added drama of the race moving to September and serving as the regular-season finale. “It’s just single file. The fastest guy just checks out. There’s no racing. The racing is for 15th. It’s hard to get excited. The Xfinity race, though, seemed to be a step in the right direction. Hopefully they make those changes for the Cup guys next year. TBD I guess.”

What's not TBD Ritz said is whether or not the Brickyard will ever return to its past glory with hundreds of thousands of fans filling out the rows of the speedway grandstands.

“They killed off too many fans,” Ritz said. “The polish has worn off. How do you get that back? I don’t think they can.”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think two things have hurt NASCAR.

1. It is such a niche sport to begin with. It's not like baseball, football, basektball & soccer. Where involvement in the sport is more easily accessed and you can start playing it as a kid, and develop a love for it during your childhood.

2. The sport abandoned the aspect of continuing to cater to the fans they already had in order to tap into a market that never had interest in the sport and won't ever have interest in the sport. It has cost them dearly. Granted, this is just my opinion. An opinion from an outsider who is not a fan of the sport. But I've got family members who are long time fans so I hear them talking about it.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My dad was into NASCAR for a few years so in the early 2000's we went to the Talladega 500 about five times. Enjoyed the day together, but I've never been a NASCAR fan, and his interest seems to have waned dramatically over the last few years. Seems like the CoT really killed the momentum.

Was driving back from Atlanta last week and saw the Talladega raceway from the interstate - they've DRASTICALLY reduced seating as demand has fallen. Apparently it peaked at seating for 175k people, but has dropped to 80k now. That's a HUGE reduction (95k fewer seats)!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
My dad was into NASCAR for a few years so in the early 2000's we went to the Talladega 500 about five times. Enjoyed the day together, but I've never been a NASCAR fan, and his interest seems to have waned dramatically over the last few years. Seems like the CoT really killed the momentum.

Was driving back from Atlanta last week and saw the Talladega raceway from the interstate - they've DRASTICALLY reduced seating as demand has fallen. Apparently it peaked at seating for 175k people, but has dropped to 80k now. That's a HUGE reduction (95k fewer seats)!
I don't consider myself a "fan" but it came on after the Open yesterday and I could not believe the empty seats. I guess when Dale Earnhardt Jr. leaves who knows what will happen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Preempted the evening edition of the last stage of the Tour de France last night....I kept looking at the TV and was saying to myself.....they're holding us up just for some qualifying? That was the race itself? :rolleyes:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Good grief. That's almost like talking all of Bryant-Denny out. I didn't know they had done that.

I used to be a big fan and would watch every week. Then I just kind of drifted away. I think they got too big for their britches. They got away from their basic roots and people who were fans when it was trendy have gone away. The old fans who were run off by the trendy people haven't come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I think two things have hurt NASCAR.

1. It is such a niche sport to begin with. It's not like baseball, football, basektball & soccer. Where involvement in the sport is more easily accessed and you can start playing it as a kid, and develop a love for it during your childhood.

2. The sport abandoned the aspect of continuing to cater to the fans they already had in order to tap into a market that never had interest in the sport and won't ever have interest in the sport. It has cost them dearly. Granted, this is just my opinion. An opinion from an outsider who is not a fan of the sport. But I've got family members who are long time fans so I hear them talking about it.
IOW, Political Correctness is killing NASCAR. There's still time to save it, but it would mean retracing their tracks and changing policies back to where they were long before PC took over, and we all know that's not going to happen.

Let me also say that the "beginning of the end" for NASCAR was the so-called "Car of Tomorrow". In essence, every car on every track has to be exactly the same, and not a micrometer off. You could take any one part off of any one car and bolt it right into place on any other car on the track. The only things different between the cars are the paint job and numbers, and the drivers. Otherwise, everything is the same, and that's not what the fans pay their hard earned dollars to see.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Let me also say that the "beginning of the end" for NASCAR was the so-called "Car of Tomorrow". In essence, every car on every track has to be exactly the same, and not a micrometer off. You could take any one part off of any one car and bolt it right into place on any other car on the track. The only things different between the cars are the paint job and numbers, and the drivers. Otherwise, everything is the same, and that's not what the fans pay their hard earned dollars to see.

THIS

Remember when it was referred to as "stock car" racing? Nothing stock about it now. There was a time when the car on the track looked like your car in the driveway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.