The GOP Died at the Border Wall

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Great piece from Reason and they are of course right here

http://reason.com/archives/2017/07/24/the-gop-died-at-the-border-wall

In President Trump's America, anti-immigration animus is fast becoming the main organizing principle of the Grand Old Party. Not fiscal responsibility. Not the free market. Anti-immigrant fever.

For proof, look no further than the recent antics of two prominent Republicans: Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), both of whom have worked with the White House and floated plans to sacrifice traditional conservative economic principles to promote a harsh immigration agenda.

Meadows told Breitbart News, the organ of immigration hawks, recently aathat he was prepared to shut down the government again in September if Congress' spending bill failed to fund the Great Wall of Trump. "There is nothing more critical that has to be funded than the funding for the border wall," he declared.

It's stunning for Meadows to lobby for this money. He's an anti-spending warrior who helped found the House Freedom Caucus in 2015 for the express purpose of fighting rising government spending. He led the coup to depose House Speaker John Boehner two years ago after Boehner failed to cut half a billion dollars for Planned Parenthood from a bill to fund the government.

Yet here is Meadows now insisting that the border wall — that will cost upwards of $20 billion — needs to be funded fully. Why? He cites two reasons: President Trump made a promise to his base, and it is essential for national security. But a limited government conservative of all people should understand that if a lawmaker's campaign promises were a sufficient justification to fund government programs, America would have gone Greece's way many times over by now (not just when the bill for America's massive unfunded entitlement state comes due!). As for the security rationale, it's not just bogus — but backwards.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The GOP is dead. Long live the GOP.

Think pieces like this are fluff to drive intellectual liberals and conservatives to click and generate ad revenue. I would challenge anyone to actually define what the GOP stands for other than "beat the DNC." Bush was anything but a fiscal conservative. Romney wasn't much of one either. McCain, maybe, but he would probably sign anything as long as it increased military spending. Not to mention he had to pull in ol Palin to say all the stupid stuff he couldn't bring himself to say that would get him elected. And then Trump. Well there is an entire thread dedicated to that trainwreck of a man.

Aristophanes said:
You [demagogues] are like the fishers for eels; in still waters they catch nothing, but if they thoroughly stir up the slime, their fishing is good; in the same way it's only in troublous times that you line your pockets.
They (and I think this goes to politicians in general) have determined that selling hope is no longer the way to get elected. What incentive is there when you can split the populace and rake in oodles of money. Republicans outpace Democrats in party fundraising Even if there was someone willing to tap the breaks on restricting freedoms, spending, and whatever other practices that just aren't typically thought of GOP principles, who in their right mind would want to do that? The money train is rolling full steam ahead.

I think in 2018 you aren't going to see anyone trying to "save the GOP" or "get it on track." If anything it will be more politicians willing to say whatever is needed to appeal to people's basest instincts. If there is anything the GOP learned from 2016, it seems that the grand unifier for GOP candidates is being "not a Democrat." 2016 is a perfect roadmap for what happens when you get a bunch of typically non political people motivated and energized enough to actually take part in politics. That fervor and energy doesn't go away when their candidate loses in the primary. It isn't terribly hard to redirect it from being energy for a candidate, to energy against a candidate, principles of the standard bearer be damned.

It's really easy to forgive someone their foibles when they are running against satan herself and the only thing worse than voting for a terrible candidate is voting for satan. It's the false equivalency thing to the extreme. Everyone wants to say that all political decisions are picking the lesser of two evils. When you honestly look at someone and are willing to call them evil, and not just evil, but truly see in them the biblical version of evil, it tends to skew reality.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The GOP is dead. Long live the GOP.

Think pieces like this are fluff to drive intellectual liberals and conservatives to click and generate ad revenue. I would challenge anyone to actually define what the GOP stands for other than "beat the DNC." Bush was anything but a fiscal conservative. Romney wasn't much of one either. McCain, maybe, but he would probably sign anything as long as it increased military spending. Not to mention he had to pull in ol Palin to say all the stupid stuff he couldn't bring himself to say that would get him elected. And then Trump. Well there is an entire thread dedicated to that trainwreck of a man.

They (and I think this goes to politicians in general) have determined that selling hope is no longer the way to get elected. What incentive is there when you can split the populace and rake in oodles of money. Republicans outpace Democrats in party fundraising Even if there was someone willing to tap the breaks on restricting freedoms, spending, and whatever other practices that just aren't typically thought of GOP principles, who in their right mind would want to do that? The money train is rolling full steam ahead.

I think in 2018 you aren't going to see anyone trying to "save the GOP" or "get it on track." If anything it will be more politicians willing to say whatever is needed to appeal to people's basest instincts. If there is anything the GOP learned from 2016, it seems that the grand unifier for GOP candidates is being "not a Democrat." 2016 is a perfect roadmap for what happens when you get a bunch of typically non political people motivated and energized enough to actually take part in politics. That fervor and energy doesn't go away when their candidate loses in the primary. It isn't terribly hard to redirect it from being energy for a candidate, to energy against a candidate, principles of the standard bearer be damned.

It's really easy to forgive someone their foibles when they are running against satan herself and the only thing worse than voting for a terrible candidate is voting for satan. It's the false equivalency thing to the extreme. Everyone wants to say that all political decisions are picking the lesser of two evils. When you honestly look at someone and are willing to call them evil, and not just evil, but truly see in them the biblical version of evil, it tends to skew reality.
what should we expect with a 24/7 puke funnel providing conservatives with a daily (evil) boogey man for all of the things they don't like for the last 25+ years.

cleek's law said:
Today’s conservatism is the opposite of what liberals want today, updated daily.
but both sides, amirite?

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Both parties now embrace identity politics. One party is the party of straight, cis-gendered, heterosexual, christian white males and their supporters. The other party wants to displace and in some cases destroy the previous group.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Articles like this crack me (an independent) up - haha, the GOP is in shambles, but the Democratic party was pretty much declared dead late last year.

It's amusing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Both of the parties are dead in terms of effectiveness at governance. Neither has any real leadership capacity. Neither has any real motivating factor to vote for them. Both just live off the hate that grows towards their opponent while in power then parlay it into an election season victory every few years.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Articles like this crack me (an independent) up - haha, the GOP is in shambles, but the Democratic party was pretty much declared dead late last year.

It's amusing.
I see it as not the GOP is dead as they won't win elections but the GOP is dead as in they've sold out all their ideals and no longer the party they claim to be

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Both parties now embrace identity politics. One party is the party of straight, cis-gendered, heterosexual, christian white males and their supporters. The other party wants to displace and in some cases destroy the previous group.
in part, they want the straight, cis-gendered, heterosexual, christian white males and their supporters to stop trying to (using god as an excuse in many cases) treat them like second class citizens.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I see it as not the GOP is dead as they won't win elections but the GOP is dead as in they've sold out all their ideals and no longer the party they claim to be
I think that is a fair assessment. And that is how I read it too. However, having a title of "The GOP Died at the Border Wall" is click-bait.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I kinda took it as both. They're dead in future elections, especially among millennials, because they've sold out. Among younger voters they cannot be trusted. The same is also true of the Democratic Party just to a lesser extent. Again, I'm suggesting this among younger voters not in general terms.

ETA- I know the article doesn't mention younger voters. Just commenting on how this article might help explain current trends among voters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The GOP has been declared dead in print so many times that - just like crying racism every time they beat the Democrat for the White House - it has become another version of "the boy who cried wolf."

Remember when the election of Obama was the end of the GOP, along with his having both houses? I'm sorry, but all one has to do is look at the results: they own the White House, both Houses of Congress, the vast majority of state legislatures and governorships, and for that matter even the SCOTUS to a certain degree.

If the Democrats win the House in 2018 (the Senate is a virtual impossibility), we will be treated to stories again about how this is a sign of the impending doom of the GOP (you know, the same one that has just died time and again - what are they, kittens with nine lives?).

Of course, like most things: none of this is that simple in any direction. Trump didn't win "because" he was a Republican, he primarily won because: a) whatever insanity attached to him - and boy is there a lot - he offered 'change' in some form from the representative of the incumbent Obama admin; b) he ran against the one candidate on the planet whose 25-year rep of being untrustworthy destroyed any argument of "but he's lying."

The problem we have right now is that the two parties keep winning seats basically by being perceived or seen as "less bad" than the other one. And the problem a third party creates is that if it becomes viable then the only way it can win (and I'm speaking locally here) is by spending years depriving one party of the seat by taking more votes from Party A than from Party B, which only strengthens the hold of Party B. That's where you find a party locally willing to adapt enough positions from the third party to be competitive.

The Republicans do have a long-term problem that they have not yet settled in 150 years - the party has never sorted out specifically their vision of the proper role of government. The Democrats over time have decided to control everything except how many abortions you have and who you marry. The problem is that most Americans fall in between those areas.

Reports of "the GOP is dead" are like reports of "the Alabama dynasty is over." The only available evidence to validate it actually proves the opposite.

As far as values espoused, well, political parties survive long-term by abandoning old values for new ones as the stream flows differently. I'm not advocating it, I'm just pointing out its reality. I'm one of those the GOP left long ago, mostly when it marched into fiscal irresponsibility under GW Bush.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have, for the most part, voted Republican at the national level since I became eligible to vote. Nixon twice, Ford, Reagan once, GHW Bush twice, Dubya once. The other times I either abstained or voted Democrat. In all those cases the candidate I voted for I perceived to be the more honorable and qualified person. History proves I was duped along the way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.