Ole Mi$$ Coaching Search - Who is in that job in one year?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Probably somebody like Troy Calhoun at AFA.

He's probably not going to be given a chance otherwise. They could conceivably hire him cheaper.

He's guaranteed $3 mil if he's fired at AFA and his 2014 salary was $825K.

Ole Miss could bump it to $2.5 mil a year and hire on the cheap, guarantee him more money over the life of the contract, and they'd get
a guy used to winning with less.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Probably somebody like Troy Calhoun at AFA.

He's probably not going to be given a chance otherwise. They could conceivably hire him cheaper.

He's guaranteed $3 mil if he's fired at AFA and his 2014 salary was $825K.

Ole Miss could bump it to $2.5 mil a year and hire on the cheap, guarantee him more money over the life of the contract, and they'd get
a guy used to winning with less.
Winning with less is a lot easier to do in the MWC than the SEC. That's nothing to do with the point you are making, to be certain, but just goes to show that there really isn't an easy way out of this for the rebel black bears.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Winning with less is a lot easier to do in the MWC than the SEC. That's nothing to do with the point you are making, to be certain, but just goes to show that there really isn't an easy way out of this for the rebel black bears.
I get that part.

But now might be the time to endure a few "bad" seasons with a 50-year old coach who can bring them a new discipline and maybe set them up to be something better for the next coach.

In 2004, I talked to MSU fan after MSU fan absolutely convinced Steve Spurrier was coming to StarkVegas.

I'm NOT making that up.

Or maybe they should see if Cutcliffe wants to come back, although I doubt he would.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think Les can make Ole Miss into a consistent 8-4 team every year once they clear the scholly sanctions. They may not like him, but he'll provide stability and he can recruit Louisiana and bring in some descent talent.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I get that part.

But now might be the time to endure a few "bad" seasons with a 50-year old coach who can bring them a new discipline and maybe set them up to be something better for the next coach.

In 2004, I talked to MSU fan after MSU fan absolutely convinced Steve Spurrier was coming to StarkVegas.

I'm NOT making that up.

Or maybe they should see if Cutcliffe wants to come back, although I doubt he would.
Cutcliffe is going to retire at Duke. Ole Miss did him wrong, just like Nebraska screwed over Solich.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think someone like Troy Calhoun would be just what the doctor ordered for Ole Miss in terms of discipline, integrity and commitment to doing things right. OTOH, Ole Miss and the AFA are light years apart in terms of the kind of student athlete Calhoun would be coaching. I am sure Calhoun has very little discipline and academic problems where he is and recruiting is not his major concern, while these would all be obstacles for him in trying to change the culture at OM to fit his program.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Lane Kiffin will leave FAU for Ole Miss calling it his dream job
I'd like to dismiss this as insane because it sounds so nutty - but Ole Miss logic ("he nearly beat Alabama and he knows Saban's blah blah blah") make this
not nearly as unlikely as I'd like to think.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Cutcliffe is going to retire at Duke. Ole Miss did him wrong, just like Nebraska screwed over Solich.
You're not kidding there. I was living there when he got canned and what was so bizarre was.......they literally had NO solution to their problem, they just "knew" that no matter what, Cutcliffe needed to be canned. I mean, emotionalism of the highest sort.

"We'll burn up the whole village.....don't know what we're going to do in order to actually rebuild it, but we have to burn the village!!!"

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'd like to dismiss this as insane because it sounds so nutty - but Ole Miss logic ("he nearly beat Alabama and he knows Saban's blah blah blah") make this
not nearly as unlikely as I'd like to think.
And it is, after all, Lane Kiffin. Oxford? The Grove? The girls ? That`s like dying and going to heaven for a guy like him. Hell, some years back, that`d be like dying and going to heaven for a lot of us, come to think of it.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You're not kidding there. I was living there when he got canned and what was so bizarre was.......they literally had NO solution to their problem, they just "knew" that no matter what, Cutcliffe needed to be canned. I mean, emotionalism of the highest sort.

"We'll burn up the whole village.....don't know what we're going to do in order to actually rebuild it, but we have to burn the village!!!"
Cutcliffe was & is a quality coach. Honestly, he should still be at Ole Miss.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Lived in Mississippi at the time, too. Was like they completely forgot they were a year removed from Eli's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
IIRC, while working for Fulmer, Cutcliffe had a hand in our probation. For that I have no use for him whatsoever.
So, it's win at all cost even if you need to screw your alma mater? Is that what you were saying? After all these years, I never even thought about that. How naive could anyone be? Okay, I admit it. I was very naive. So there were two: a phat deplorable and a treasonous despicable on that staff??????? GrayTide, thanks for opening my eyes after all these years. As a result, we need at least a 25 game win streak against UcheaT!

Now, I believe any institution should be held accountable when they commit wrongs, but this was a stacked deck against Alabama, IMHO. Alabama doesn't need to
Cheat like UcheaT, to win. Warning to all schools EXCEPT Alabama from the commissioner's office, don't recruit in a certain city, we're gonna nail Alabama to a cross! Then, we're going to have a secret witness so they will NEVER see another Bowl of cereal or a NC!!!!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Lived in Mississippi at the time, too. Was like they completely forgot they were a year removed from Eli's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brothers and I were looking at each other the same way. "What, did they forget who they lost?"

That was the most insane off-season I can remember. I was living there in the NE corner and MSU fans were convinced Spurrier was coming to take over for Croom (they all thought that Croom was hired to get the NCAA off their backs - which he was - and then Croom was going to the NFL and Spurrier was coming to StarkVegas)......and at the exact same time, Ole Miss fans were wanting to draw and quarter Cutcliffe, who had just finally had his only real bad season.

It was the most unreality I've ever lived among.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.