Ole Mi$$ Coaching Search - Who is in that job in one year?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IIRC, while working for Fulmer, Cutcliffe had a hand in our probation. For that I have no use for him whatsoever.

I'm not totally sure this is correct. Cutcliffe went to Ole Miss after the 98 national title season (right as Tuberville was being carted out in a pine box or something like that); Fulmer's academic fraud scandal that had him turn us in didn't occur until 1999.

I won't argue the details because I may be wrong (I never followed them that closely back in the day regarding this), but I'm not convinced of this to be sure.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Matt Luke goes .500 this season, then I think it will be Matt Luke.
If he does better than .500 it's a guarantee.
If he goes 3-9...who know's...but it won't be Matt Luke
Bad situation in Oxford right now...
I don't think they get an established Head coach no matter what money they offer.
They'll have to gamble on an "up and comer" until the NCAA makes a decision, and that could be 2040.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think It'll be Matt Luke, because no matter what happens with NCAA... Matt Luke will probably most likely get the job. I don't think Lane Kiffin will leave after one year with FAU. He needs two years to show that he has matured as a Head coach. His troubles at Alabama still haunt him to this day...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IF (big if) OM learns anything from this, they'll avoid Lane Kiffin. Lane had some NCAA issues in his ONE year at tennessee, Kiffin's brother was recently fired by OM due to his involvement in NCAA issues, and the last thing anyone with an IQ larger than their show size would want to do is hire someone who will dance on the edge.

But I wouldn't care - I don't believe Kiffin is mature enough to handle being a HC at a real program.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IF (big if) OM learns anything from this, they'll avoid Lane Kiffin. Lane had some NCAA issues in his ONE year at tennessee, Kiffin's brother was recently fired by OM due to his involvement in NCAA issues, and the last thing anyone with an IQ larger than their show size would want to do is hire someone who will dance on the edge.

But I wouldn't care - I don't believe Kiffin is mature enough to handle being a HC at a real program.
What does a real program have to do with Ole Miss? (Half blue font)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm not totally sure this is correct. Cutcliffe went to Ole Miss after the 98 national title season (right as Tuberville was being carted out in a pine box or something like that); Fulmer's academic fraud scandal that had him turn us in didn't occur until 1999.

I won't argue the details because I may be wrong (I never followed them that closely back in the day regarding this), but I'm not convinced of this to be sure.
Bill, I vaguely remember reading that he had been questioned in regards to Alabama's recruiting of Means, but I could be wrong, long time ago now. :cool2:

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
Well, if they really want to distance themselves from the saint coach they had they need to hire a cussing, tobacco chewing and spitting coach. Maybe high school.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bill, I vaguely remember reading that he had been questioned in regards to Alabama's recruiting of Means, but I could be wrong, long time ago now. :cool2:
I did uncover he had some complaints about Logan Young, but he was at Ole Miss at the time.

I won't argue the fine details because I don't know them.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Cutcliffe coveted our head coaching job when Coach Shula got fired (was interviewed, per Coach Moore's book) and he was very gracious to Coach Moore and his family during CMM's hospitalization at Duke before the he passed.

I am not certain how involved he was or wasn't during the Dubose-era NCAA investigation, but I'm fairly sure he didn't play a central role in it. However, he certainly was in the Fulmer orbit, and probably chimed in on some of that garbage.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm so glad you found this. A few years back I was coming home from the beach and pulled up at the toll booth and saw this guy who looked just like Woody and I paid him. After we pulled off I told my wife that was Woody Widenhoffer ex HC at Vandy and she said no way that could have been him (I told several friends also and they had the same reaction). I now know I was right and have the proof.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'm so glad you found this. A few years back I was coming home from the beach and pulled up at the toll booth and saw this guy who looked just like Woody and I paid him. After we pulled off I told my wife that was Woody Widenhoffer ex HC at Vandy and she said no way that could have been him (I told several friends also and they had the same reaction). I now know I was right and have the proof.
Same here. I just couldn't remember where I had seen that toll booth guy before.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
is Woody Widenhofer still alive?
There's this amazing invention you might have heard of called the Internet

step one: log onto computer
step two: type google dot com in the above space
step three: type woody widenhofer

step four: read that he's still alive.....

:)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There's this amazing invention you might have heard of called the Internet

step one: log onto computer
step two: type google dot com in the above space
step three: type woody widenhofer

step four: read that he's still alive.....
Why bother going through the intermediate step of asking Google (knowing Google is going to turn around and ask you). Why not just go directly to the source?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.