Ole Mi$$ Coaching Search - Who is in that job in one year?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Some of the names that have been floated are absolutely laughable - guys like Kelly or Miles would be nuts to take that job barring a complete reversal of ncaa sanctions. Neil Brown would be crazy to consider it as well, imo.

This Luke guy is family, and you gotta think this Ed O part deux - I think he has a shot IF he can keep a straight course, keep the team together, and cobble together a fairly respectable season. If they can beat Cal, they should be 3-0, another should be win late in the year with La-alfayette. IF this scenario plays out - and he can find 2 to 3 wins elsewhere. I think Luke may Ed O his way into the job. After Cal, Ole mIss has...

bye week (seems early, huh?)
@ Alabama (ahh, I see)
@ auburn
Vandy
LSU
Arkansas
@UK
TAMU
@State

No gimmees here, with an improved Vandy and Kentucky. I think 6 wins gets him a good look, anything more and he is a probability

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You're either giving Miles too much credit or not enough. The guy wants to coach and there are credible reports out there that he would go to Ole Miss.

Les may want to win - who doesn't - but I honestly think the man wants to coach for the sake of coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You're either giving Miles too much credit or not enough. The guy wants to coach and there are credible reports out there that he would go to Ole Miss.

Les may want to win - who doesn't - but I honestly think the man wants to coach for the sake of coaching.

I agree, for Miles at 63 (which is not old btw) this could be his last roundup.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
IF Les goes there, he'd get paid what...$5 million/year +?

if he doesn't care about losing a lot of games, he could probably guarantee himself upwards of $20 million over the next 4 years (with a solid buyout package) and not even have to worry about winning anything.

he probably doesn't need any more money, but it could be easy pickings for him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IF Les goes there, he'd get paid what...$5 million/year +?

if he doesn't care about losing a lot of games, he could probably guarantee himself upwards of $20 million over the next 4 years (with a solid buyout package) and not even have to worry about winning anything.

he probably doesn't need any more money, but it could be easy pickings for him.
From what I can tell, Les is owed around $9 million from LSU. That could be one of his selling points to Ole Miss - pay me less than you would someone else because LSU owes me so much.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
From what I can tell, Les is owed around $9 million from LSU. That could be one of his selling points to Ole Miss - pay me less than you would someone else because LSU owes me so much.
true...and if he just wants to bank another $10-$20 million he could probably do that without even caring.

he's a good coach, likable guy who can recruit, and i think he's fairly clean all things considered.

IF he's willing and interested, they'd be stupid not to take him.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Purdue was not facing crippling sanctions

I did hear Miles on local radio last week - he is speaking here in Montgomery at Landmark Church in a few weeks - and he specifically said he wants to coach again, specifically mentioned SEC West, and alluded that he had heard a job may be coming open there. So perhaps he DOES want Ole Miss, maybe to get after those fighting tigers?

But I would like to see him back coaching, but in a stable situation with solid leadership. Ole Miss is neither of those.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Purdue was not facing crippling sanctions

I did hear Miles on local radio last week - he is speaking here in Montgomery at Landmark Church in a few weeks - and he specifically said he wants to coach again, specifically mentioned SEC West, and alluded that he had heard a job may be coming open there. So perhaps he DOES want Ole Miss, maybe to get after those fighting tigers?

But I would like to see him back coaching, but in a stable situation with solid leadership. Ole Miss is neither of those.
There have been reports of Les being interested in the job since it opened. To me, he makes perfect sense.

He provides stability. He can recruit Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, and Tennessee. As mentioned, he can be paid less thanks to his buyout.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Poor ole Les seems to get less credit for his resume than any coach I know. He seemed to be above board in recruiting, won a lot, and was a good representative of the schools he has been at. Yet given that, if I was Ole Miss I would not hire him. He doesn't seem to be a program builder which is what they need, but he would probably surprise us if he got the job. If not for Bama he would be a legend in coaching.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
If Ole Miss hires Miles, they may average -2.54 yards per rush against us. Not quite the same recruiting pool that he had in Louisiana.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Tubberville made his name there. And if I remember correctly, they were coming off sanctions. Mayby ole wingnut is exactly what the doctor ordered.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
There have been reports of Les being interested in the job since it opened. To me, he makes perfect sense.

He provides stability. He can recruit Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, and Tennessee. As mentioned, he can be paid less thanks to his buyout.
I think his interest in the job speaks as much to lack of interest by other schools in him than anything else. Ole Miss had a weak recruiting class last year, will have another weak one this year...compounded by the early signing period (and I'm not sure how their self-imposed scholarship limitations add up year to year). And they may get more scholarship reductions and an additional bowl ban that would allow players to transfer anywhere without sitting out. You're looking at a 3-4 year rebuilding program in the toughest division in Power 5 football. At his age, you have to wonder if he has the fire in the belly to see the rebuilding project through, or is just looking to hit the till for some big bucks one last time, and/or be a stopgap coach who can re-stock the shelves as they get through the rough patch.

On the other hand, the possibility of Miles in Oxford has to make Coach O nervous. For sure, Miles would recruit his share of talent out of Louisiana (just as Coach Saban does), meaning fewer homegrown players heading to Baton Rouge.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If I were OM I would pass on Tubs. He seemed to quit caring three coaching stops ago.
I think Tubby is burned out too. Now Les would be instant credibility and a win/win for Ole Miss. Being 63 he will not coach much after the (we think) three or four year recruiting sanctions. So ..... he might be able to have winning seasons till they "retire" him after leading them thru the wilderness.

Also, think of the fun we would have with the Ole Miss Miles/LSU Coach O match ups as well as the Ole Miss Miles/Alabama Coach Saban match ups.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Pretty sure they're going to hire new coach Fugh Hreeze.
Sounds like an old wrestling tactic. Bob Armstrong would lose a loser leave town match and come back as the Bullet or something like that. He did wear a mask though to conceal his true identity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.