Atlanta's Rainbow cross walks cost taxpayers $196K

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
please do. i haven't eaten there in forever. it used to be the go to place for our early morning meeting grub when i worked up that way. that always seems to happen to restaurants when they go chain (thinking dreamland and guthries)

we have a couple of good breakfast places down our way, thumb-up diner in east point and a little greek cafe in college park.
There is a thumbs up in Roswell but I find it just OK.

found this on google http://www.pba.org/flying-biscuit/

The Flying Biscuit’s Famous Flying Biscuits

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour (a soft winter wheat flour, like White Lily, is best)
1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
6 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup half and half for brushing on top of biscuits
1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling on top of biscuits
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Place flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into ½ tablespoon-sized-bits and add to the flour. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in all the heavy cream and the half and half.

Stir the dry ingredients into the cream and mix with a wooden spoon until dough just begins to come together into a ball. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times to form a cohesive mass. Do not overwork the dough.

Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1-inch thickness. The correct thickness is the key to obtaining a stately biscuit.

Dip a 2 ½ inch biscuit cutter in flour, then cut the dough. Repeat until all the dough has been cut. Scraps can be gathered together and re- rolled one more time.

Place the biscuits on the prepared sheet pan, leaving about ¼ inch between them.

Brush the tops of the biscuits with 1 tablespoon of half and half and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.

Bake for 20 minutes. Biscuits will be lightly browned on top and flaky in the center when done.

Makes 8 to 12 biscuits, depending on the size of the cutter.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have not made it for the fried chicken dinner but have always wanted to. Have fantastic fried chicken out here at Table & Main in Roswell and Miltons in Milton so no real need but I do love that place
Table & Main does a great fried chicken. That is one of our favorite places on Canton Street.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Table & Main does a great fried chicken. That is one of our favorite places on Canton Street.
Same, it is one of my go to places when I have co-workers in town as they always deliver. Keep meaning to try The Big Ketch across the street as it is owned and run by the same chef and owners of Miltons which is one of the best places in North Atlanta

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There is a thumbs up in Roswell but I find it just OK.

found this on google http://www.pba.org/flying-biscuit/

The Flying Biscuit’s Famous Flying Biscuits

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour (a soft winter wheat flour, like White Lily, is best)
1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
6 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup half and half for brushing on top of biscuits
1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling on top of biscuits
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Place flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into ½ tablespoon-sized-bits and add to the flour. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in all the heavy cream and the half and half.

Stir the dry ingredients into the cream and mix with a wooden spoon until dough just begins to come together into a ball. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times to form a cohesive mass. Do not overwork the dough.

Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1-inch thickness. The correct thickness is the key to obtaining a stately biscuit.

Dip a 2 ½ inch biscuit cutter in flour, then cut the dough. Repeat until all the dough has been cut. Scraps can be gathered together and re- rolled one more time.

Place the biscuits on the prepared sheet pan, leaving about ¼ inch between them.

Brush the tops of the biscuits with 1 tablespoon of half and half and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.

Bake for 20 minutes. Biscuits will be lightly browned on top and flaky in the center when done.

Makes 8 to 12 biscuits, depending on the size of the cutter.
i didn't realize thumbs up had a place in roswell. for a while they were in east point and i think edgewood somewhere.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
How states spend money is amazing. I recently started working in the IT department of a state agency and one of my new co-workers was telling me about how frustrating it is to purchase items. He said that he could go to one local shop and purchase 30 15' cat5 cables for $75 but, that is not allowed. That shop doesn't have a contract with the state so, instead, he has to use a vendor that charges $325 for the same 30 cables.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
How states spend money is amazing. I recently started working in the IT department of a state agency and one of my new co-workers was telling me about how frustrating it is to purchase items. He said that he could go to one local shop and purchase 30 15' cat5 cables for $75 but, that is not allowed. That shop doesn't have a contract with the state so, instead, he has to use a vendor that charges $325 for the same 30 cables.
Just go to the RSA Building! There are tons of those cables in the basement! But, you won't be spending any budget so you might lose that part of budget next fiscal year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I to work for a state agency. The simplest reason I can give you for what you are describing is "It's easy to spend other people's money." Our agency has the same problem. Why in the world those in power allow for contracts that aren't reasonable with market value is beyond me. IMO, it violates the fiduciary duty the acting agency has regarding taxpayers' money. I've watched departments who needed supplies, repair parts, or a piece of minor equipment, spend three times the price per unit because the store down the road that sells it for three times less doesn't have a contract with the state. Taxpayers' are getting raped many, many times over. If the contract bid doesn't match at least the market rate of the items then the contract shouldn't be approved. Yet they approve vendor contract after contract after contract allowing the approved vendor to sell the agency parts at grossly inflated prices. This is a very common practice with government in general. From federal all the way to state and local ones. And yet we've got people in this country begging for government to run healthcare and any other aspect of our lives they can get their hands on. Mind boggling.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I to work for a state agency. The simplest reason I can give you for what you are describing is "It's easy to spend other people's money." Our agency has the same problem. Why in the world those in power allow for contracts that aren't reasonable with market value is beyond me. IMO, it violates the fiduciary duty the acting agency has regarding taxpayers' money. I've watched departments who needed supplies, repair parts, or a piece of minor equipment, spend three times the price per unit because the store down the road that sells it for three times less doesn't have a contract with the state. Taxpayers' are getting raped many, many times over. If the contract bid doesn't match at least the market rate of the items then the contract shouldn't be approved. Yet they approve vendor contract after contract after contract allowing the approved vendor to sell the agency parts at grossly inflated prices. This is a very common practice with government in general. From federal all the way to state and local ones. And yet we've got people in this country begging for government to run healthcare and any other aspect of our lives they can get their hands on. Mind boggling.
Because that "overspent" money finds it's way back in election campaign funds as well as fishing, golfing, and other expeditions that the company awarded the contract happens to take elected officials or those responsible with awarding contracts.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Just Remember with stuff like this, someone got busted doing something incredibly wrong so the PTB created a law. Now we are all paying for it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You can still have controls in place and part of those controls be to ensure that the contracted vendor's prices line up with market value. Vendor/supplier contracts are written all the time in the private sector (as a safety net) with a market value clause in them. Why government contracts can't do this is beyond me.

Just Remember with stuff like this, someone got busted doing something incredibly wrong so the PTB created a law. Now we are all paying for it.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You can still have controls in place and part of those controls be to ensure that the contracted vendor's prices line up with market value. Vendor/supplier contracts are written all the time in the private sector (as a safety net) with a market value clause in them. Why government contracts can't do this is beyond me.
It's not "fair."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.