Bo Scarborough's Pro Protential

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not saying it's the right decision but it happens all the time. I don't care what anyone says, Humphrey needed one more year. There was talk that Bo seriously considered leaving after last season.
You're right.

I never understood - especially back in that day of "not nearly so big contracts" - Humphrey jumped so quick to the NFL.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Unless he gets injured this year, Bo is gone. He contemplated leaving this year until the injury against Clemson. With his injury history and the shelf-life of a NFL RB, I don't blame him.
Agreed. Without all the injuries, I think he could have been in the top 3 of best ever at Bama. As it stands, if he can get through this year without injury he should definitely go. Staying another year is just more opportunity to get injured.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You're right.

I never understood - especially back in that day of "not nearly so big contracts" - Humphrey jumped so quick to the NFL.
I understand why some think Hump should have stayed another year to improve his draft status, but the thing is, it's a huge risk. Let's say he gets better and is top 10 material. Then he goes from his $12M contract to a $20M contract. That's great, right!

First, it's a big assumption that he'd improve above being the 16th player taken.

Then other side of that is guys like foster, Jon Allen, and more specifically Eddie Jackson.

Fosters shoulder injury and drop down in the draft likely cost him $10M, with the same probably true for Jon Allen since both were likely top 10 picks without those injuries (assuming those were not there before their senior years, which might not be true.)

Jackson got a contract for $3M, after being projected as a likely first round pick after his junior year and going into his senior season. If he's just a mid-first rounder, it cost him $8-9M, toward the top of the first round and it cost him close to $20M.

So there's risk involved in staying, big risk. The real deal is that the difference in your life for a $12m contract to a $20m likely isn't that high. Both of those contracts are in the range of "never have to work after football" if a guy is smart with his money. $3m is not in that range. A $3M contract and a guy has to hope he makes it for the next contract and/or have a really good plan for what his post football career will be.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Agree gtgilbert; would loved to have had him another year, but Hump made the right decision.
If you are a solid first rounder; you got to go.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I understand why some think Hump should have stayed another year to improve his draft status, but the thing is, it's a huge risk. Let's say he gets better and is top 10 material. Then he goes from his $12M contract to a $20M contract. That's great, right!

First, it's a big assumption that he'd improve above being the 16th player taken.

Then other side of that is guys like foster, Jon Allen, and more specifically Eddie Jackson.

Fosters shoulder injury and drop down in the draft likely cost him $10M, with the same probably true for Jon Allen since both were likely top 10 picks without those injuries (assuming those were not there before their senior years, which might not be true.)

Jackson got a contract for $3M, after being projected as a likely first round pick after his junior year and going into his senior season. If he's just a mid-first rounder, it cost him $8-9M, toward the top of the first round and it cost him close to $20M.

So there's risk involved in staying, big risk. The real deal is that the difference in your life for a $12m contract to a $20m likely isn't that high. Both of those contracts are in the range of "never have to work after football" if a guy is smart with his money. $3m is not in that range. A $3M contract and a guy has to hope he makes it for the next contract and/or have a really good plan for what his post football career will be.
IIRC, one reason Allen stayed for his senior year was to let his shoulder heal after having surgery last year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree on Humphrey, I think it's seriously unlikely that he would have improved on 16th overall by much if at all. I would have loved to have him for 1 more year (can you imagine our secondary this season) but it was probably the right move for him.

IIRC Jon Allen had surgeries on his shoulders (can't remember when) and they were already an issue going into his senior year so that would have hurt his draft stock even if he came out earlier.

Eddie Jackson is interesting because I think his ability to return kicks probably helped him (which he didn't show until his senior year) but the injury really hurt him. No idea where he would have gone if he had left after his junior year.

Honestly, Foster probably would have gone much earlier if he didn't stay. I think he is the clearest cut case of probably losing money by coming back.

As for Bo, I think if he stays healthy this whole season and plays like he did at the end of the last year then he has a really good shot at being a 1st rounder. He is insanely talented and has underrated vision and hands. It's really hard to guess how the RB position will work itself out but I would imagine a healthy Bo still gets the most carries by a decent amount.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It all depends on his ability to remain injury free. 'Bad Wheels' can keep any pro career from gaining traction. I wish him the best. He has the potential to be another great one...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I have a love/Hate relationship with these NFL threads, because I love talking NFL football...but a lot of people here don't pay enough attention to make some of the statements they do.

Bo has a ton of talent, but there is virtually no way he goes in the first round. Injury concerns follow you like the plague into the league. He hasn't had a fully healthy season since his junior year in high school. If you don't think every scout in the NFL doesn't know that, and doesn't have it flagged, you don't know the NFL.

That being said, he does have a chance with a great year to creep into round 2. I still think it will be tough for him to go that high.

If I were betting right now I'd say if healthy he goes in round 3 or 4.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.