Bo Scarborough's Pro Protential

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
If Healthy, Big IF - but if healthy, how do you view Bo at the next level?

Coffee, could have been good I thought, but gave it up
Ingram went to a bad / awful situation for him in NO, yet has carved out a pretty good career
Lacy seems to have peaked - hope he comes back strong
Have high hopes for Henry

IF Bo can be healthy, more consistently healthy, I think he can be the best of the bunch.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm the last guy to ask about pro potential (I thought Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton Manning was my biggest faux pas. Ever).

I also thought Trent Richardson was going to be the best of the backs in the NFL.

My suspicion?

I don't think Bo can stay healthy enough, and I wouldn't take a chance on him.

I hope I'm wrong.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Agree Selma, his fragility history is going to be a huge consideration as to whether or not a team will make a large investment/contract and take that chance on him. I really hate that for him as he is a great athlete when healthy.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
As for Trent, and this is JMO, he started holding back a little in college like he was saving himself to make sure of no injuries before the draft........ and he just never could get his mojo back.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
He probably won't get drafted because of his injury history, so FA is probably his only shot.
IF he stays healthy, he could probably be serviceable for a few years.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
As for Trent, and this is JMO, he started holding back a little in college like he was saving himself to make sure of no injuries before the draft........ and he just never could get his mojo back.
To me, Trents problem was vanity. He got way too bulked up and that affected his elusiveness. Some may say he lacked vision but from what I saw of him in college, he had great vision. I think he got too much into the lifting weights thing.

As for Bo, if we want to compare him to Derrick who was healthier, more accomplished and fumbled less and went in the second. I'd say Bo is late second/early third.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Of course I don't see Bo going high because the NFL has basically give up on RB's early on unless you are just a beast that everyone says is a "can't miss" type of player. While I do think Bo has that ability and always has in my mind as I knew back in his Northridge days he was going to be very good, his injury problems have always been an issue.

Other than that, if he stays healthy, heck yes he can be a very good pro. I think Trent's biggest problem was his "off the field life" which sucked him dry as I thought he would have been a top back that was can't miss as well. I think Bo has that ability to dominate even the NFL, but it hinges on him staying healthy. Someone will take a shot on him in the draft, that is almost guaranteed at this point. He just moves too well for his size and is like Mark Ingram in that he was born into being a RB. Much more natural than Trent or Coffee was.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He probably won't get drafted because of his injury history, so FA is probably his only shot.
IF he stays healthy, he could probably be serviceable for a few years.
Did anyone read the OP? The question is posed assuming he's healthy. He'll put up monster combine numbers. He's a late 2nd or 3rd round pick if healthy..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll go out on a limb and say he gets drafted in rounds two or three and ends up being the starting tailback or at least see's quite a bit of playing time. He's too big and fast and good not to make a mark.
His health will be a concern but it won't keep at least one team from taking a chance on him.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Did anyone read the OP? The question is posed assuming he's healthy. He'll put up monster combine numbers. He's a late 2nd or 3rd round pick if healthy..
Lets just say, Bama has a plan for Bo, which they did last year - a carry count plan per game and also for the year, main focus on having him healthy for a Championship run. Lets say Bo stays healthy, maybe a nick or bruise, but nothing serious, and shares time with that crowded backfield. As such, he tallies around 1000 or 1100 yards, nothing earth shattering - but stays healthy. I think scouts know the ability, but a healthy year is the best thing he could accomplish for draft status.

If the above is the case, I do agree the combine numbers should be great - I would expect Bo to be selected sometime on Day 2 of the draft.

I think if he then avoids a situation like Ingram landed in, that Bo, if reasonably healthy, could be Saban's best back in the NFL, and become an all-pro type player. How Henry fares will be a consideration, as I can see him being very good as well - but while durable, he does have a lot more carry mileage to consider.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
To me, Trents problem was vanity. He got way too bulked up and that affected his elusiveness. Some may say he lacked vision but from what I saw of him in college, he had great vision. I think he got too much into the lifting weights thing.

As for Bo, if we want to compare him to Derrick who was healthier, more accomplished and fumbled less and went in the second. I'd say Bo is late second/early third.
He had great vision in college game, playing against amateur athletes. The game speeds up tremendously on the pro level. You hope great college backs transition to the NFL game. Some do, but many don't. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it's just a reality. There's enough film on Trent now that it is hard not to say he had bad field vision in the NFL.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The NFL doesn't care about running backs anymore. The rules have made it a passing league. Remember when passing for 4000 yards was a big deal? It is not that big a deal now.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://herosports.com/nfl/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-running-backs-saquon-barkley-bo-scarbrough-ahah Top 10 picks.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php Projected pick between 1 and 3rd round
And so forth on....
To suggest that he will be FA and not get drafted is silly. All he has to do is not get hurt this season and he'll be top 25 pick.

Now, the question is can he last in NFL? Depends on what team he goes to. He needs to be part of a system where they rotate RBs. so his chance to be successful back in NFL is pretty good.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
http://herosports.com/nfl/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-running-backs-saquon-barkley-bo-scarbrough-ahah Top 10 picks.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php Projected pick between 1 and 3rd round
And so forth on....
To suggest that he will be FA and not get drafted is silly. All he has to do is not get hurt this season and he'll be top 25 pick.

Now, the question is can he last in NFL? Depends on what team he goes to. He needs to be part of a system where they rotate RBs. so his chance to be successful back in NFL is pretty good.
Top 25 pick?

Come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Forgive me if I've missed obvious press, but why do we so readily assume he'll be 'fragile' in the future? I know he has had multiple injuries, or a recurring one, and I believe I read he had a broken leg vs. Clemson. Do people believe his playing style leads to issues, or do we speculate he has a bone density problem, or what? I realize he's a huge strong guy running and cutting incredibly fast.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.