Roomba's Next Big Step Is Selling Maps of Your Home to the Highest Bidder

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Y'all can keep plugging everything under the sun into the internet, I'll be sitting over here like it's 1999...

The Roomba is generally regarded as a cute little robot friend that no one but dogs would consider to be a potential menace. But for the last couple of years, the robovacs have been quietly mapping homes to maximize efficiency. Now, the device’s makers plan to sell that data to smart home device manufacturers, turning the friendly robot into a creeping, creepy little spy.
https://gizmodo.com/roombas-next-big-step-is-selling-maps-of-your-home-to-t-1797187829

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL! I bought the model just below. My washing machine, fridge and HVAC are all net-capable. You guess if they'll ever be connected... :D

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
LOL! I bought the model just below. My washing machine, fridge and HVAC are all net-capable. You guess if they'll ever be connected... :D
They've found botnet nodes on the smart fridges. Things have default usernames and pwds on the Linux controller with no way to change it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why would you want to attach your washing machine to the internet? What purpose does it serve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Why would you want to attach your washing machine to the internet? What purpose does it serve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly. The pitch on the HVAC with the super-smart thermostat was that it would automatically DL and install incremental improvements to the system. However, the thermostat has a SD card slot, so, once a year or so, I DL the updates and install them, never connecting the unit to the LAN...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.