CTE Found in 110 of 111 NFL Brains Studied

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Let me clarify my previous post. All these reports coming out about CTE are all focused on football, at least that is what is being reported heavily. If there are studies done on boxers and soccer players, etc., then those aren't being brought to public light as much.
I wholeheartedly agree that brain injuries are bad. I've had 1 diagnosed concussion and at least one more that went undiagnosed (knocked out on opening kickoff and do not remember the game, yet played in it). No telling how many others from getting hit and seeing stars. I wonder now if I'm having side effects from it. When I played, I played to get the player on the ground not to make some crazy hit with my head to punish someone. My son gave up football because of politics. He was a promising QB. Not so much from an athletic standpoint, but he just "got it". He understood offense and how to line people up. He led his team and was calm and the rest of the team followed him. It's like he was a natural. I don't regret his decision to quit one bit. I'd rather him not get his brain scrambled by some kid looking to make a highlight reel hit.
I think if the medical community can find something to help that would be great. The prevention of such nasty head on "imma gonna kill you" hits I think is the best place to start. That has to be coached out of the coaches first though.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's simply illogical to deduce that smacking your brain against the side of your skull doesn't cause some damage, either temporary or permanent. And playing football means this happened a lot - I don't think it's the brain-rattling, concussive big hits, but rather the constant, play after play abuse that adds up.

Does this happen in other sports or on certain jobs? Possibly.

Does this impact my enjoyment of the sport? Nope. I suspect it will continue to morph, as it always has, towards greater player safety. That's fine.

Do any of my kids play football? Nope. I told them, "I don't care if you break and arm or a leg - those heal up - you damage what's between your ears, you damage who you are."

I worry about my future at times - I played football for a long time, before people worried about concussions or had even heard of CTE. So no, I'm not a helicopter dad - I just know there's enough data out there to make me want to keep them from doing something that may cause serious problems later.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Let me clarify my previous post. All these reports coming out about CTE are all focused on football, at least that is what is being reported heavily. If there are studies done on boxers and soccer players, etc., then those aren't being brought to public light as much.
I wholeheartedly agree that brain injuries are bad. I've had 1 diagnosed concussion and at least one more that went undiagnosed (knocked out on opening kickoff and do not remember the game, yet played in it). No telling how many others from getting hit and seeing stars. I wonder now if I'm having side effects from it. When I played, I played to get the player on the ground not to make some crazy hit with my head to punish someone. My son gave up football because of politics. He was a promising QB. Not so much from an athletic standpoint, but he just "got it". He understood offense and how to line people up. He led his team and was calm and the rest of the team followed him. It's like he was a natural. I don't regret his decision to quit one bit. I'd rather him not get his brain scrambled by some kid looking to make a highlight reel hit.
I think if the medical community can find something to help that would be great. The prevention of such nasty head on "imma gonna kill you" hits I think is the best place to start. That has to be coached out of the coaches first though.
the CTE studies actually started with boxers years ago and as posted above, there are studies in soccer...which have led to limiting even teaching heading the ball to players over 10...and it should probably be expanded to include even older kids, but just like football, removing heading until kids are nearly grown eliminates a major aspect of the game.

i played soccer from childhood through my 20's and i can tell you first hand that there were a few times where i darn near knocked myself unconscious heading long balls...and i got a very serious concussion one time when i got my legs taken out and landed head first on an old astroturf surface.

i've seen people's heads split open from head butts and goal posts and i've heard legs snap from across the field on perfectly legal tackles. i'm 47 and my knees sound like popcorn and feel like they're on fire from all the years of pounding they took and i have the scars and screws in them to prove it.

soccer isn't football, but it can be a very violent and dangerous game.

it's really not surprising that football can cause serious brain injuries and i have little doubt that anyone who plays the game from childhood into adulthood runs a very high risk of serious, permanent injury.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Football has about 10 years left. Enjoy it while you can
I dunno with the kinda money the sport generates..Money has a way of becoming the main factor in allowing things to continue despite the risks & it's a personal choice each player makes to play football factoring in the injury risks..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is anyone actually surprised by these numbers? Water is still wet, right?
I'm not surprised that the percentage was high given the type of brains being examined, but 110 out of 111 with this specific disease - that surprised me. I expected that almost all would be suffering from some sort of mental condition, but not one. IMO, this suggests that CTE may be a symptom and not a disease to itself. We just need more data, and brains donated from otherwise healthy individuals.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not surprised that the percentage was high given the type of brains being examined, but 110 out of 111 with this specific disease - that surprised me. I expected that almost all would be suffering from some sort of mental condition, but not one. IMO, this suggests that CTE may be a symptom and not a disease to itself. We just need more data, and brains donated from otherwise healthy individuals.
This. There's no control group for this study. The requirement was "dead person that played football of some sort."

Worth repeating, these brains were donated by family members or players themselves that felt the player showed signs of CTE. Not like the brain was donated by a family of a guy that had no issues and the researchers found signs of CTE.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I dunno with the kinda money the sport generates..Money has a way of becoming the main factor in allowing things to continue despite the risks & it's a personal choice each player makes to play football factoring in the injury risks..
Except that over the past few years, agenda overrules money much more than it used to

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.