CTE Found in 110 of 111 NFL Brains Studied

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Football has about 10 years left. Enjoy it while you can
Not a chance. This was a targeted study that generated data to create a certain narrative. Until there's a control group study this data lacks a baseline comparison tool which would provide true insight to the concern..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not a chance. This was a targeted study that generated data to create a certain narrative. Until there's a control group study this data lacks a baseline comparison tool which would provide true insight to the concern..
There is no narrative. They are not claiming causation because they understand that they do not have random brain samples. Here is an excerpt:
The set of players posthumously tested by Dr. McKee is far from a random sample of N.F.L. retirees. “There’s a tremendous selection bias,” she has cautioned, noting that many families have donated brains specifically because the former player showed symptoms of C.T.E.

But 110 positives remain significant scientific evidence of an N.F.L. player’s risk of developing C.T.E., which can be diagnosed only after death. About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players had tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Football is being targeted. I'm sure the same could be said for any sport where there is contact. Soccer, basketball to some extent, catchers in baseball.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I do

Lets all play soccer
Lookie, I think people should be allowed to play football if they want but I think they have a right to know EXACTLY what they are risking when they begin to play. So understanding the correlation between football and CTE is crucial.

We shouldn't turn a blind eye to something this serious just because it could dampen our good time. Players need to be educated and make informed choices about their future. If they know what's going on and STILL want to bash each other, I'll still grill out and sip a beer while watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Here we go again. This was discussed on this board before and nothing has changed. First let's see a study on truck drivers, construction workers, hikers, regular ordinary folks, etc and then let's do one for all sports and see what the results are. Can you get a concussion playing football...darn right, but there is a thousand other ways too and on a frequent basis.

This is fact and I posted before....In Youth Sports (that is age 12 and under) their have been more reported head injuries in girl's soccer than all other youth sports nearly combined.

Sensationalism at it's very best IMO.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Im not really worried - It will take awhile but I think given the evidence post-mortem of CTE focus will now turn toward finding a drug to remove the protein buildup. I can only imagine the amount of funds toward drug research on this issue that will be massive and easily raised. Nobody wants to see football eliminated so someone will step up and focus efforts on drug development.

This drug trial in the UK is showing real promise in removing the protein buildups linked to Alzheimer's and dementia. Given the similarity in symptoms between CTE and Alzheimer's, there is a lot of research that could overlap and complement CTE studies. I cant find it right now but the drug being tested above has shown limited side effects and has potential to be taken as a maintenance treatment at low doses sort of like taking a cholesterol pill over several years. If so, its possible anyone with a concussion injury would be prescribed a similar medication to short-circuit the formation/buildup of the proteins released after injury.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Im not really worried - It will take awhile but I think given the evidence post-mortem of CTE focus will now turn toward finding a drug to remove the protein buildup. I can only imagine the amount of funds toward drug research on this issue that will be massive and easily raised. Nobody wants to see football eliminated so someone will step up and focus efforts on drug development.

This drug trial in the UK is showing real promise in removing the protein buildups linked to Alzheimer's and dementia. Given the similarity in symptoms between CTE and Alzheimer's, there is a lot of research that could overlap and complement CTE studies. I cant find it right now but the drug being tested above has shown limited side effects and has potential to be taken as a maintenance treatment at low doses sort of like taking a cholesterol pill over several years. If so, its possible anyone with a concussion injury would be prescribed a similar medication to short-circuit the formation/buildup of the proteins released after injury.
I agree. This is how science and medicine work. First you attempt to understand a disease, then you look for preventatives and treatments. We are still trying to understand the disease, but one thing is clear - repeated head trauma is linked to CTE and many other brain diseases. One preventative is clear - avoid repeated head traumas to reduce the likelihood of getting these diseases. Kinda like lung cancer - avoid smoking to lower your risk. You may get lung cancer anyway, but the odds swing greatly by making that one choice.

Our society understood the link between boxing and brain diseases almost 100 years ago. Boxing remains a very popular sport, and similar sports spring up all over the world (MMA being the most recent example). So for those worried about the future of the sport, relax. This isn't about banning the sport. Youth boxing exists in every major city. If youth boxing hasn't been banned, why would football be banned?

My questions - Why wouldn't we want to better understand this risk? Why wouldn't we want to make informed decisions? Where is the down-side here? Why are we attacking the science when it has posed no threat to this sport or any other?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm guessing that the one brain that didn't test positive for CTE was probably a kicker... :cool2:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IMHO, to ignore this or dismiss it as a vendetta against football is foolish and dangerous. Yes, there are more scientific studies and research to be done as mentioned earlier, but this poses a potential danger to the game as we know it. Proper science will lead us to inescapable conclusions at some point.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think this is true to an extent. You can only find CTE through examining the brain after someone dies. This exam is likely requested by the deceased and/or their family because they suspect they had CTE.

But football is a violent game and if it can be made safer I'm all for it. I'm also glad my son only played a couple times and never really got into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Football is being targeted. I'm sure the same could be said for any sport where there is contact. Soccer, basketball to some extent, catchers in baseball.
there have been and are on-going studies about the effects of soccer on the brain.

kids under 10 aren't even allowed to head the ball anymore and some players have started wearing what looks like an old-timey football helmet made with gel inserts.

it doesn't take a brain surgeon cutting into brains to understand that getting hit in the head with force repeatedly over long periods of time is not good for the brain.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Here we go again. This was discussed on this board before and nothing has changed. First let's see a study on truck drivers, construction workers, hikers, regular ordinary folks, etc and then let's do one for all sports and see what the results are. Can you get a concussion playing football...darn right, but there is a thousand other ways too and on a frequent basis.

This is fact and I posted before....In Youth Sports (that is age 12 and under) their have been more reported head injuries in girl's soccer than all other youth sports nearly combined.

Sensationalism at it's very best IMO.
that's why kids under the age of 10 aren't even allowed to head the ball anymore per US Soccer Federation rules.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone commented that this study is flawed because the brains donated were done so by family members or players that felt they had CTE. That's worth keeping in mind.

Also, we don't necessarily know the extent that CTE had on the player's life.

Remember when Stabler died? There were stories about him having CTE. Did that kill him? Or did his lifestyle kill him? We can't really say his lifestyle was due to him having CTE unless he got CTE while playing at Foley in the early 60's, and if someone wants to say that, then that person must acknowledge severe CTE couldn't kill a person since Stabler lived for 50 years after high school.

I'm not trying to discredit the study. Firmly believe these studies will help leaders figure out the proper ways to prevent - or at least weaken - the issues that cause brain injuries.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.