Police kill man in MS while serving warrant at wrong address

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This sounds awful based on initial reports.

I can see scenarios when shooting through the door is okay though this may not be the case. Highlighting that he was shot through the door does not indicate that this was a good or bad shooting.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Gee, I don't know day-day. Did he open the door, the police saw a gun and then the home owner closed the door just before he was shot? Why do the police do these raids late a night?

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Gee, I don't know day-day. Did he open the door, the police saw a gun and then the home owner closed the door just before he was shot? Why do thye police do these raids late a night?
This has been a mild fear of mine (nothing I lose sleep over); getting raided by the police at night due to wrong information on their part and I pull a gun to protect my home not knowing its the police.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Gee, I don't know day-day. Did he open the door, the police saw a gun and then the home owner closed the door just before he was shot? Why do the police do these raids late a night?
No knock raids to be specific. How do you know it's the Police if they don't announce themselves? Evidence be damned. Life is more important than evidence.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm sick of innocent people being killed by the police. Unless / until they start actually holding these idiots responsible for their actions, it will continue.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I always ask, but have any of you guys read Rise of the Warrior Cop? I think it is an interesting read on how we got to this point.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
No knock raids to be specific. How do you know it's the Police if they don't announce themselves? Evidence be damned. Life is more important than evidence.
Unless its a hostage/imminent danger type situation, why not just stake the place out with plainclothes/undercover? It is flat out stupid to put the officers, homeowners and neighbors in the path of bullets for a domestic or drug offense.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
About 8 months ago, 2 dudes escaped custody in Jasper. Big news in town.
A couple mornings after that, my wife is alone at the house; kids at school, me at work. She had had a tooth pulled the day before, so she took some pain med and was laying down in our bedroom, Because she didn't feel well, our Dane was in it's crate instead of roaming free in the house. The dog starts going apey and then she hears footsteps in the house. By the time she got her gun and got to the bedroom door, there was an officer on the other side. By the grace of God, she had a split-second moment of pause. If not for that, a local officer would have been shot, maybe dead, my wife would have probably been shot, maybe dead, and I'm sure that if the wife hadn't felt bad and had the dog out, she would have been shot. As it was, that dog put the fear of God in the officers that came in the house.
They said they received a phone tip that one of the escapees was at our address. She gets grilled about who she is and where is so-and-so. They're sheepish when they discover they hit the wrong house. She finds out the house is surrounded. They claim they came in when they saw the front door was ajar. Which it wasn't. And if it was, why was the mark of a pry bar visible on our door jamb? She was never shown a warrant. A lawyer says there's nothing we can do about it; legal.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A couple mornings after that, my wife is alone at the house; kids at school, me at work. She had had a tooth pulled the day before, so she took some pain med and was laying down in our bedroom, Because she didn't feel well, our Dane was in it's crate instead of roaming free in the house. The dog starts going apey and then she hears footsteps in the house. By the time she got her gun and got to the bedroom door, there was an officer on the other side. By the grace of God, she had a split-second moment of pause. If not for that, a local officer would have been shot, maybe dead, my wife would have probably been shot, maybe dead, and I'm sure that if the wife hadn't felt bad and had the dog out, she would have been shot. As it was, that dog put the fear of God in the officers that came in the house.
They said they received a phone tip that one of the escapees was at our address. She gets grilled about who she is and where is so-and-so. They're sheepish when they discover they hit the wrong house. She finds out the house is surrounded. They claim they came in when they saw the front door was ajar. Which it wasn't. And if it was, why was the mark of a pry bar visible on our door jamb? She was never shown a warrant. A lawyer says there's nothing we can do about it; legal.
Well, the legislature could adopt a law making it illegal.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I saw someone post on FB that he believes the reason for these type things is untrained/unqualified officers being turned loose into live action scenarios long before they are ready. One person in particular stated, and I don't know if it's true or not. A LEO is required to go through 300 hrs of training before becoming an active LEO. A barber goes through 1600 hrs of training. Again, not sure how valid that it is but it does raise the question. Are these guys really qualified and properly trained to do what they do? My guess is no. Are they truly professionals and experts at what they do? Or are they severely under trained and asked to do the job of an professional/expert?

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Too bad there is nothing in the Constitution to protect us from this stuff.

The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I saw someone post on FB that he believes the reason for these type things is untrained/unqualified officers being turned loose into live action scenarios long before they are ready. One person in particular stated, and I don't know if it's true or not. A LEO is required to go through 300 hrs of training before becoming an active LEO. A barber goes through 1600 hrs of training. Again, not sure how valid that it is but it does raise the question. Are these guys really qualified and properly trained to do what they do? My guess is no. Are they truly professionals and experts at what they do? Or are they severely under trained and asked to do the job of an professional/expert?
Maybe some clarification on typical state and local law enforcement training:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/slleta13.pdf

According to a U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics report in 2016 (stats from 2011-2013):

Excluding field training, basic training programs lasted an average of about 840 hours.

Overall, 37% of academies (which trained 31% of all recruits) required recruits to complete a mandatory field segment after graduating from the basic academy training program. Field training provides recruits with the opportunity to work with a field training officer in order to learn the practical aspects of law enforcement and community service, and to assimilate into the professional culture of a particular agency. More than two-thirds of state police or highway patrol (76%), county police (76%), municipal police (71%), and special jurisdiction (69%) academies had a field training requirement.

An additional 44% of academies (which trained 45% of all recruits) reported that there was a field training requirement, but the hiring agency oversaw it. When agency-specific requirements were included, there was a field training requirement for recruits at all county police and special jurisdiction academies and at nearly all municipal police (97%), multiagency or regional (96%), state police or highway patrol (94%), and sheriff’s office (90%) academies.

Among academies that oversaw a mandatory field training component, the average program was about 500 hours. Municipal police academies (630 hours) had the longest field training programs on average.

Maybe that's still not enough, but it seems a little more accurate than the standard internet sensationalism (not your doing, or course).

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I saw someone post on FB that he believes the reason for these type things is untrained/unqualified officers being turned loose into live action scenarios long before they are ready.
Maybe some clarification on typical state and local law enforcement training:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/slleta13.pdf

According to a U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics report in 2016 (stats from 2011-2013):

Excluding field training, basic training programs lasted an average of about 840 hours.

Overall, 37% of academies (which trained 31% of all recruits) required recruits to complete a mandatory field segment after graduating from the basic academy training program. Field training provides recruits with the opportunity to work with a field training officer in order to learn the practical aspects of law enforcement and community service, and to assimilate into the professional culture of a particular agency. More than two-thirds of state police or highway patrol (76%), county police (76%), municipal police (71%), and special jurisdiction (69%) academies had a field training requirement.

An additional 44% of academies (which trained 45% of all recruits) reported that there was a field training requirement, but the hiring agency oversaw it. When agency-specific requirements were included, there was a field training requirement for recruits at all county police and special jurisdiction academies and at nearly all municipal police (97%), multiagency or regional (96%), state police or highway patrol (94%), and sheriff’s office (90%) academies.

Among academies that oversaw a mandatory field training component, the average program was about 500 hours. Municipal police academies (630 hours) had the longest field training programs on average.

Maybe that's still not enough, but it seems a little more accurate than the standard internet sensationalism (not your doing, or course).
My intuition is different than Buzz's. I think the training they receive is the problem.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It is impossible to really train to be a cop unless you are put in actual situations. They can set up all the role playing they want, but it isn't real unless you have a real gun with real bullets facing a real bad guy or a real Australian lady in her nightgown.

A barber can just sit at the barber school working on real people who walk in wanting to get a cheap haircut until he has his hours and is good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This sounds awful based on initial reports.

I can see scenarios when shooting through the door is okay though this may not be the case. Highlighting that he was shot through the door does not indicate that this was a good or bad shooting.
Yeah, if you're the homeowner and someone is beating on your door in the middle of the night...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So in addition to responding to angry knocks at the door in the middle of the night with my 12 gauge in hand, I also need to sleep in a kevlar vest so I've got that on as well?

This is utter insanity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.