LSU used to paint opposing teams colors in one end zone

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm sure some of you knew this. I had no idea. I'm watching the 1977 Alabama vs. LSU game on Youtube, played at Tiger Stadium, and one end zone is painted crimson with a giant UA in white. In the comments, someone stated that this was routine practice for LSU up until the ncaa disallowed them wearing the white jerseys at home some time in the early 80s.

I've never been aware of any team ever doing this. It actually looks pretty cool.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sure some of you knew this. I had no idea. I'm watching the 1977 Alabama vs. LSU game on Youtube, played at Tiger Stadium, and one end zone is painted crimson with a giant UA in white. In the comments, someone stated that this was routine practice for LSU up until the ncaa disallowed them wearing the white jerseys at home some time in the early 80s.

I've never been aware of any team ever doing this. It actually looks pretty cool.
Maybe I am simply mis-remembering, but I thought that this was common back then. Maybe I am thinking of bowl games.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

To be fair, when an opposing team has a 28-9-2 (.718) record on your home field, they should get their name in the EZ. :biggrin:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To be fair, when an opposing team has a 28-9-2 (.718) record on your home field, they should get their name in the EZ. :biggrin:
Simply amazing that in a series that dates back to 1895, and includes 83 total games played, that they still have yet to reach double digit wins at home against us. And this isn't Mississippi State or Kentucky we're talking about.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know I am in the minority, but I prefer non painted enzones except for the name. Green grass and Alabama in white.
As long as the field isn't blue (or some other crazy color), I can live with painted end zones. funny that last year's pre-season NFL game in Canton had to be cancelled because they painted the entire field green because it was in terrible condition and the field got too slick for safety.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Is that why Tennessee has the checker board end zones that we used from the 40s to the 60s at Legion Field? As Roger Shultz said, "We should pay property taxes up here, cause we own Tennessee!" :)

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Simply amazing that in a series that dates back to 1895, and includes 83 total games played, that they still have yet to reach double digit wins at home against us. And this isn't Mississippi State or Kentucky we're talking about.
And kids... this is why L6U isn't considered a rival :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.