Link: Jim Harbaugh's Antics Could Wear Thin at Michigan If Team Keeps Coming Up Short

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the antics wearing thin is exactly what led to his abrupt falling apart and termination in SanFran.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
+1. He's made them a factor nationally almost immediately.

I get that he's a jerk and people don't like him but he's probably a top 5 coach in CFB, certainly a top 10 one. The big question for him is can he beat Meyer/OSU, which has been the thorn in UM's side for 15 years, even when they've been good.

As far as "his antics running thin?" Get real. Zero chance Michigan even considers moving on any time soon.
Maybe not with the fans, but I could see the administrators getting tired of things if he doesn't finish better than third in his own division.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not a subscriber to what Paul Finebaum says most of the time. But I think he is dead on when he says (and he's said this a lot) at some point the antics and bravado isn't going to work anymore if he doesn't start winning conference championships and playing for NC's.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If I'm a Michigan fan, I'm not freaking out yet. He has two ten-win seasons in two years and has one more win than Saban had in his first two years.

Gee, fans at a traditional power will get antsy if a coach isn't contending for a championship soon. What a remarkable thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Maybe not with the fans, but I could see the administrators getting tired of things if he doesn't finish better than third in his own division.
They just had back to back 10 win seasons and top 12 AP finishes -- the first time they've done that since 02-03. The reality is Michigan hasn't been an elite program since the early Lloyd Carr years and Harbaugh has them on that track. I don't get any sense Michigan will sour on Harbaugh. I think a lot of his "antics" rub his detractors the wrong way but his supporters? They love it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm not a subscriber to what Paul Finebaum says most of the time. But I think he is dead on when he says (and he's said this a lot) at some point the antics and bravado isn't going to work anymore if he doesn't start winning conference championships and playing for NC's.
Agreed. There is a reason the 49ers let him go after making the play-offs three straight years and getting to a Super Bowl. Over time his act gets old.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Agreed. There is a reason the 49ers let him go after making the play-offs three straight years and getting to a Super Bowl. Over time his act gets old.
I'm pretty sure Jed York being an incompetent clown played a role in that as well. There's a reason they're on their fourth head coach in four years and why they went from being an elite franchise playing in the Super Bowl to being one of the three worst teams in the league in five years... I'm pretty sure most 9ers fans would jump at the chance to take him back.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
+1. He's made them a factor nationally almost immediately.

I get that he's a jerk and people don't like him but he's probably a top 5 coach in CFB, certainly a top 10 one. The big question for him is can he beat Meyer/OSU, which has been the thorn in UM's side for 15 years, even when they've been good.

As far as "his antics running thin?" Get real. Zero chance Michigan even considers moving on any time soon.
A factor? Third in his division? He's made noise without substance. He's a chihuahua barking on the porch for attention. He's done nothing no other coach couldn't have done if given the keys to a large university in a conference absolutely begging for a rival to their one super team. He's underachieved. Ten wins is becoming a lot like 1,000 yard rushers because of the length of the season. Ten wins when their is only the possibility of eleven games? Outstanding. Ten wins when you could be playing fourteen but you lose out? Not so much.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm pretty sure Jed York being an incompetent clown played a role in that as well. There's a reason they're on their fourth head coach in four years and why they went from being an elite franchise playing in the Super Bowl to being one of the three worst teams in the league in five years... I'm pretty sure most 9ers fans would jump at the chance to take him back.
Fans, yes. Players/organization, I think no.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
A factor? Third in his division? He's made noise without substance. He's a chihuahua barking on the porch for attention. He's done nothing no other coach couldn't have done if given the keys to a large university in a conference absolutely begging for a rival to their one super team. He's underachieved. Ten wins is becoming a lot like 1,000 yard rushers because of the length of the season. Ten wins when their is only the possibility of eleven games? Outstanding. Ten wins when you could be playing fourteen but you lose out? Not so much.
By no stretch of the imagination has he underperformed having been there for only 2 years.

There are 65 "Power 5" teams (including Notre Dame) and out of those 65 only 15 teams won 10 or more games in 2016. Anybody in that group had a better than average season - those people had GOOD seasons.
A mediocre coach doesn't take his team to the Super Bowl and repeating playoff appearances in the NFL and then follow that up with back-to-back 10 win seasons in his first 2 years back in CFB.

Yah - Michigan has the draw to be a top contender, but their consistent underperformance over the last few years proves that it still NEEDS a good coach to take them there. They don't just float to the top of the pack based on talented players alone.
Look, the guy is obnoxious and I wouldn't mind seeing him vamoose back to the NFL but to say "he's done nothing no other coach couldn't have done if given the keys to a large university in a conference begging for a rival to their one super team" is empirically untrue given the fact that we JUST saw it happen with the last coach and have seen it happen in other conferences beforehand.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Only a handful of coaches in all of CFB had 10 win seasons in both 2015 and 2016.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I may not care for the dude as a person but got a ton of respect for him as a coach. Everyone is down playing them but I expect his team to overachieve this year. Frankly, I believe college football is a better place when the historic powers are back on top.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Only a handful of coaches in all of CFB had 10 win seasons in both 2015 and 2016.
After a quick glance, it appears only nine P5 teams had back to back 10-win seasons in 2015 and 2016:
Clemson
Bama
Oklahoma (Stoops retired)
Ohio State
FSU
Wisconsin
Michigan
Okie Lite
Stanford

Which means out of 65 P5 teams, there are eight returning coaches (12% of P5 coaches) who have won 10 games in each of the last two seasons.

By way of comparison, Michigan was 12-13 in the two seasons previous to Harbaugh's arrival.

He might be a loon, but he's definitely doing well - the man can coach.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

You're out of touch with reality. Winning 10 games is a big deal for a Power 5 team, as is back to back top 11 finishes... How is a team ranked No. 3 in the country "not a factor" on the last week of the season? They were a blown first down call from potentially playing in the playoff.

They've probably been a bit overhyped/overrated at times but he's done a great job there, and with Hoke's recruits too.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I have to wonder how long Michigan will tolerate Harbaugh. Does 11-1 with another loss to Ohio State put him on the hot seat?? His antics get old but these are 18-21 year olds. Also if they do fire him, who will they get that's better??

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Harbaugh is a great football coach. Michigan is very very fortunate to have him, and he'll have a great career there, unless he chooses to go elsewhere. That's just my humble opinion.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.