Link: Nick Saban Envisions Changing Regular-Season Schedule, College Football Playoff

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Alabama coach Nick Saban has a theory for the College Football Playoff that he thinks is "so far out" that nobody will listen to him.

"We should play all teams in the Power 5 conferences," Saban said Wednesday. "If we did that, then if we were going to have bowl games, we should do the bowl games just like we do in the NCAA basketball tournament -- not by record but by some kind of power rating that gets you in a bowl game. If we did that, people would be a little less interested in maybe bowl games and more interested in expanding the playoff."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would love a 10 game SEC schedule, but you are asking for trouble with this. IMO. There will be far more parity, that's for sure. You ain't going 11-1 or 12-0 against that schedule every year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
going undefeated or once-defeated will not be so important in that scenario. I know one thing, it would kill bowls because around half of the power 5 bowl eligible teams live off 4 gimme wins and picking up any two wins (or more) in the conference schedule.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
going undefeated or once-defeated will not be so important in that scenario. I know one thing, it would kill bowls because around half of the power 5 bowl eligible teams live off 4 gimme wins and picking up any two wins (or more) in the conference schedule.
Probably true because I see few teams being able to do it. As far as the bowls... I think what CNS was saying was you forget the wins/losses records at all. Eliminate the 6 win requirement or 5 or whatever it is now, and just make a power rankings and fill the bowls that way.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It sounds like he wants it to be like the NFL. There are others who seem to think that would be better, too. I do not want an expansion of the playoff. I am fine with the rating system part, though. In fact, I wish they would get rid of the ridiculous playoff committee and just go back to the BCS formula to select the top four teams. I also like having a few games against lower level competition because of the whole underdog feeling that is part of what makes college football superior to me. I'm sure this will turn into another "which is better- NFL or college football" discussion, so I will go ahead and say again that I prefer the college game. Now, while I'm at it, they should adjust the replay rule, get rid of the playoff committee, get rid of all of the extra "entertainment" that goes with a TV broadcast of a game, and quit making every single rule another advantage for the offense. There's my list since I'm right up there with Saban in level of importance. Hahahahaha! What would you guys change, or would you keep it like it is, or do you love Coach Saban's suggestions?

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Honestly I love it the way it is now. Diminishing the Bowls, diminishing the regular season, and killing smaller football programs isn't something I'd be overly excited about.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
What about programs that are outside the Power 5 conferences but either have or have the potential to have better programs than many Power 5 teams? For example, the University of South Florida will likely be a Top 20 team to start the season and has a good chance to run the table this year. Should the door be closed to them (and other teams like them)?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Love Saban, but don't agree with this at all. This would do too much damage to the sport outside of the P5 conferences. Every great football program started somewhere.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Love Saban, but don't agree with this at all. This would do too much damage to the sport outside of the P5 conferences. Every great football program started somewhere.
I know he is wanting equity in schedules and cross conference scheduling...but this would hurt a lot of schools unnecessarily. He's smarter than I am...at least in football.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think more damage than good would come from this plan, for both the power five schools and every other classification.
A lot of those smaller schools pay for a majority of their athletic budget by playing on the road against a power five team. To me, that's a good thing.
There's also an occasional upset, which, in my opinion, is also great for college football.
And honestly, if you play twelve power five teams the national championship could come down to which team has the most players that aren't injured, because that would be a brutally physical schedule.
The fact that Coach states, "That's how the NFL does it"....well, to me college football shouldn't be like the NFL.
Being "College Football" and not Professional Football is what makes College Football so awesome of a game.
Plus, I can almost guarantee you, if this rule was put in place, power five schools would be scrambling for enormous hours trying to schedule the worst power five football teams in America in their non-conference games lol.
Personally, I liked the BCS, I accepted the playoff scenario. I don't think it would be good for the players if the season or the playoffs were to be expanded.
It would be wonderful for us fans who could watch all year, but the players don't need to play that much football.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My guess is that very soon (in the cfb timescale terms at least) every great program will start by being in the power conference league within the greater collegiate sports association. Sucks but money is going to push it that direction.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think more damage than good would come from this plan, for both the power five schools and every other classification.
A lot of those smaller schools pay for a majority of their athletic budget by playing on the road against a power five team. To me, that's a good thing.
There's also an occasional upset, which, in my opinion, is also great for college football.
And honestly, if you play twelve power five teams the national championship could come down to which team has the most players that aren't injured, because that would be a brutally physical schedule.
The fact that Coach states, "That's how the NFL does it"....well, to me college football shouldn't be like the NFL.
Being "College Football" and not Professional Football is what makes College Football so awesome of a game.
Plus, I can almost guarantee you, if this rule was put in place, power five schools would be scrambling for enormous hours trying to schedule the worst power five football teams in America in their non-conference games lol.
Personally, I liked the BCS, I accepted the playoff scenario. I don't think it would be good for the players if the season or the playoffs were to be expanded.
It would be wonderful for us fans who could watch all year, but the players don't need to play that much football.
Just my opinion.
Kansas would be getting a lot of phone calls and incredible offers...this is a non-starter imho.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.