Luginbill on Slow Recruiting

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Terrific quote from Lugs here about what's happening at Bama, Auburn, UGA and other schools:
"B/c coaches are taking back some control and offers have stipulations on what is committable. This buys them time to further evaluate."

"Committed #s are down across the country for this reason. Also, w/ Bama they are going to have a small class anyway."

https://twitter.com/TomLuginbill/with_replies

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Terrific quote from Lugs here about what's happening at Bama, Auburn, UGA and other schools:
"B/c coaches are taking back some control and offers have stipulations on what is committable. This buys them time to further evaluate."

"Committed #s are down across the country for this reason. Also, w/ Bama they are going to have a small class anyway."

https://twitter.com/TomLuginbill/with_replies
..... offers have stipulations on what is committable. This buys them time to further evaluate."

What do the stipulations mean? You can only commit after a certain date is my guess.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
..... offers have stipulations on what is committable. This buys them time to further evaluate."

What do the stipulations mean? You can only commit after a certain date is my guess.
Not necessarily a certain date. More like "We're offering you to show we're pretty interested, but you can't commit until we figure out what the guys higher on the board are going to do."

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
From what I read today -- we may not sign any 5* kids this year.....

Strange....
I will go out on a limb here and say that whatever we do in recruiting will trend towards the best net effect for the team and its future impact on our continued domination in college football.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Hope we are solid with a relatively large group of DTs and SDEs . . . Either JUCO or extremely advanced high school. With Hand and King gone, Payne likely to be, we will need some contributors on the def front

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Not necessarily a certain date. More like "We're offering you to show we're pretty interested, but you can't commit until we figure out what the guys higher on the board are going to do."
I would think that Bama is telling kids that we won't offer or accept a commitment from them unless or until they are 100% committed! I think Saban is tired of the waffling! He's said it numerous times that kids don't understand what "commitment" means.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would think that Bama is telling kids that we won't offer or accept a commitment from them unless or until they are 100% committed! I think Saban is tired of the waffling! He's said it numerous times that kids don't understand what "commitment" means.
Because the concept of the importance of "giving your word", and what that means, unfortunately, is not taught like it used to be.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
All one needs to do is watch the last two quarters of the Vandy game to realize why we can afford to be selective at this point. A freshman QB (Tua) handing off to two freshman RB's (N. Harris and Robinson) or throwing to two freshman receivers (Ruggs and Jeudy) Not to mention the number of freshman, RS freshman and sophomores getting playing time on the defensive side of the ball.

For us it is about finding the right guys to fill needs. Others out there could only wish they had our talent "problem".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We've had to tell guys that want to commit that they aren't as high on the board as others that could possibly commit. Highly doubt this is it at all.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So what's the consensus from the recruiting experts here? Having the #1 overall class seems very unlikely so are we looking at a top 5 class or at least top 10?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So what's the consensus from the recruiting experts here? Having the #1 overall class seems very unlikely so are we looking at a top 5 class or at least top 10?
Top 10 for sure. Top 5 is possible if we hit on the guys we really like. This year isn't a very good overall on elite prospects, so the staff is banking on getting the top guys they're after.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Top 10 for sure. Top 5 is possible if we hit on the guys we really like. This year isn't a very good overall on elite prospects, so the staff is banking on getting the top guys they're after.
We will end up top 5 if not top 3 IMO. We will flip and close on some elite guys coming down the stretch to get us in the top 3-5.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.