Observations About Upcoming Season from a Member of the Training Staff

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was traveling last week and was changing planes at Midway in Chicago and near our gate there was a young man with an Alabama polo near where I was about to take a seat to wait. Naturally, I said "Roll Tide" and we struck up a conversation.

Turns out, he and his travelling companion work with the Sports Medicine/Training Staff in the football program. Here's what he shared:

1. He said the team is "hungry" because of the incredible disappointment from not finishing last year. He said this with a prophetic gleam in his eye like this would be a special year!
2. He said Daboll is a big hit with the team and he expects a nice shift to more power football and play action. He agreed that Lane was a huge distraction near the end of season.
3. He said Tua is really pushing Jalen to be a better throwing qb. Just as CNS has already stated, he said Tua will play. He said he's a special player.
4. He said Najee Harris is going to be incredible. He said our running backs are all very talented.
5. And, he said the team is ready for fall camp because Scott Cochran's program is so tough during the summer that fall camp is "easy."

Of course, he told me nothing "secretive" and most of these things we already knew, but it was a cool conversation to have with someone close to the program. And by the way, these two young folks were model representatives of the University. They were very bright, well spoken, humble and friendly.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
I was traveling last week and was changing planes at Midway in Chicago and near our gate there was a young man with an Alabama polo near where I was about to take a seat to wait. Naturally, I said "Roll Tide" and we struck up a conversation.

Turns out, he and his travelling companion work with the Sports Medicine/Training Staff in the football program. Here's what he shared:

1. He said the team is "hungry" because of the incredible disappointment from not finishing last year. He said this with a prophetic gleam in his eye like this would be a special year!
2. He said Daboll is a big hit with the team and he expects a nice shift to more power football and play action. He agreed that Lane was a huge distraction near the end of season.
3. He said Tua is really pushing Jalen to be a better throwing qb. Just as CNS has already stated, he said Tua will play. He said he's a special player.
4. He said Najee Harris is going to be incredible. He said our running backs are all very talented.
5. And, he said the team is ready for fall camp because Scott Cochran's program is so tough during the summer that fall camp is "easy."

Of course, he told me nothing "secretive" and most of these things we already knew, but it was a cool conversation to have with someone close to the program. And by the way, these two young folks were model representatives of the University. They were very bright, well spoken, humble and friendly.
Great stuff! Thanks for the insight.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We should have a solid to very good OL. Even though the right side is still a bit unsettled, it's a whole lot easier to be effective run blocking than pass blocking. So the power game fits into that well.

Fresh legs in the 4th quarter after the opposing D has endured 45 minutes of body blows should mean strong finishes. If the passing game can be just good enough that even the best defenses can't ignore huge parts of the field, we could be formidable.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One other thing, when we were talking about Tua, he also mentioned we may see him on 3rd down some. Kinda intriguing as to how CNS might use him.

If he comes into the game on 3rd and medium/long it would seem to indicate pass, of course, but you'd think the defense would assume the same and they'd load up and blitz. Of course they'd only do this once if he burned them by picking it up and hitting the hot route.

If this is the case, Tua is way ahead of where most think he is in understanding the offense and reading the defense and it shows how much confidence the staff already has in him.

Really looking forward to how this plays out.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
One other thing, when we were talking about Tua, he also mentioned we may see him on 3rd down some. Kinda intriguing as to how CNS might use him.

If he comes into the game on 3rd and medium/long it would seem to indicate pass, of course, but you'd think the defense would assume the same and they'd load up and blitz. Of course they'd only do this once if he burned them by picking it up and hitting the hot route.

If this is the case, Tua is way ahead of where most think he is in understanding the offense and reading the defense and it shows how much confidence the staff already has in him.

Really looking forward to how this plays out.
I am not doubting he said it, but I really doubt this happens. If you are going to pull your #1 QB on crucial 3rd downs, then you are better off moving #2 to starter. I'm not drinking all this Kool-Aid yet...sounds a little like preseason hype to me. We have a lot of talent, but we have a lot of places where players have to prove themselves in the heat of the battle. I AM excited about that!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I am not doubting he said it, but I really doubt this happens. If you are going to pull your #1 QB on crucial 3rd downs, then you are better off moving #2 to starter. I'm not drinking all this Kool-Aid yet...sounds a little like preseason hype to me. We have a lot of talent, but we have a lot of places where players have to prove themselves in the heat of the battle. I AM excited about that!
One thing that is underrated about Jalen is his running ability on 3rd down. He had 5 rushing TDs on 3rd down plays (see LSU). He needs some work on 3rd down passing but his running ability can bail him out on some tough 3rd downs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, unless this is against weaker opponents to give Tua pressure plays with the first string offense. But against your better opponents, with the game in doubt, Jalen needs to be on the field for every offensive play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I actually thought the same thing, but I do recall he said "3rd down packages." Maybe he was referring more to a set of plays that are passing plays that would be typically called on 3rd down and long. So, in other words, Tua might get a few series a game that are designed around his strength to throw the ball.

Again, kinda exciting to see the possibilities.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Most times when a true freshman plays like Hurts did last season - 240 Completions in 382 Attempts with 23 TD's and 13 INT for 2,780 yards (and he rushed for another 954 yards and 13 TD's) - the sky is the limit the next year. Only at Bama would we think the back-up QB with no college experience would be better than our returning QB which was also the SEC offensive player of the year. SMH. Everyone acts like Jalen isn't working to get better also.

The last thing I remember Jalen doing last season was standing in the end zone with the Clemson defense on the ground behind him after putting us ahead with 2 minutes to go with. IMO, if the defense goes out and gets a stop then Jalen is looked at much differently.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Most times when a true freshman plays like Hurts did last season - 240 Completions in 382 Attempts with 23 TD's and 13 INT for 2,780 yards (and he rushed for another 954 yards and 13 TD's) - the sky is the limit the next year. Only at Bama would we think the back-up QB with no college experience would be better than our returning QB which was also the SEC offensive player of the year. SMH. Everyone acts like Jalen isn't working to get better also.

The last thing I remember Jalen doing last season was standing in the end zone with the Clemson defense on the ground behind him after putting us ahead with 2 minutes to go with. IMO, if the defense goes out and gets a stop then Jalen is looked at much differently.
Yes. He would get sprinkles with his ice cream cause sprinkles are for winners.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

You may be drawing that inference from the other threads about Jalen and Tua but that is not even mentioned here at all.

First, I was just happily reporting what I had been told.

Second, nobody said Jalen wasn't the starter in this thread or wasn't working to get better. Matter of fact, the young man emphasized that but that's not really news to be reported because nobody thinks Jalen hasn't got better (based on A-Day) or that Tua is going to start or overtake Jalen anytime soon.

And, if it's true that Tua is a more talented passer doesn't mean he's better overall than Jalen.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Sorry but it would be stupid crazy IMO to pull Hurts on 3rd downs after what he proved he can do with his legs last year. The kid was 2 minutes away from leading us to a NC and player of the year yet he seems to get punished most for the Clemson lose. I kinda wish Tua would get put in early and make a few mistakes so people would back off of Hurts a little. I agree with TiderMan, if we beat Clemson there would be zero talk of Hurts splitting time with Tua.

Personally, I think Tua should red-shirt so that we can maximize his years on campus after Hurts leaves for the NFL. I know I am in the minority with that opinion.

Our coaches know this team but, I just don't see how you pull Hurts unless he is struggling. QB musical chairs never seems to work out very good.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

FWIW I found this interesting on the Tua front
Five Alabama Offense Questions/Answers

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]A football coach who is close – very close – to the Alabama situation confided, “It’s like God decided to give all the best quarterback attributes to one person, and it was Tua.” Tua is destined to be known only by his first name by everyone save Eli Gold, who no doubt relishes the opportunity to intone “[/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Tua Tagovailoa[/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular].” And the voice of the Crimson Tide is likely to get that chance this season.[/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]There was a school of thought that if [FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Jalen Hurts[/FONT] could be productive and avoid injury, as he did last year, that it would make sense to redshirt Tagovailoa (6-1, 219) and make another true freshman, [FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Mac Jones[/FONT], the mop-up quarterback.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Both Tagovailoa and Jones entered The University in the spring semester to take part in spring drills. In the A-Day Game, Tagovailoa was 17-29 for 313 yards and 3 touchdowns with 1 interception. Scout.com ranked him the No. 1 dual threat quarterback in the nation and he was named MVP at The Opening and of the Elite 11 competition in 2016.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]So here is Alabama with the returning All-SEC QB and SEC Offensive Player of the Year, and yet [/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Tua Tagovailoa[/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular] is going to get playing time. And we know that because Saban has said so.[/FONT]

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sorry but it would be stupid crazy IMO to pull Hurts on 3rd downs after what he proved he can do with his legs last year. The kid was 2 minutes away from leading us to a NC and player of the year yet he seems to get punished most for the Clemson lose. I kinda wish Tua would get put in early and make a few mistakes so people would back off of Hurts a little. I agree with TiderMan, if we beat Clemson there would be zero talk of Hurts splitting time with Tua.

Personally, I think Tua should red-shirt so that we can maximize his years on campus after Hurts leaves for the NFL. I know I am in the minority with that opinion.

Our coaches know this team but, I just don't see how you pull Hurts unless he is struggling. QB musical chairs never seems to work out very good.
We can debate "how" or "when" Tua will be implemented into game plans, but the "will" has already been answered by CNS.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I thought Daboll would turn us into NE's system, I'm very happy for that. We have too many RB's to totally abandon the run game.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
But did he mention who the highest paid player on the team in or the 2017 spending budget for the Red Elephant club is??? **blue font**

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

To be fair, while Hurts almost took us to the promised land he also struggled at times last year. While some of that I blame on Freshwater, some of the blame goes to Hurts as well. If he hits that same slump this year, we are going to see Tua without a doubt. If he's our better option going forward then so be it. No player can become complacent under Coach and rightfully so. I'd imagine Jalen would be better against some teams and Tua might be a better option against others. This could be better for us in the end.

But I do agree with you about the 3rd down stuff. No way would I want Tua trotting out on 3rd downs so coaches could blitz us without hesitation. But if Tua can make us better or make Jalen better by getting some of Jalen's snaps then I'm all for it.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Will Tua play this year? I would assume so because CNS said he would. Will he play with game in doubt? Probably not unless Jalen is very very bad. CNS's first priority is to win the football game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.