It took DEF CON hackers minutes to pwn these US voting machines

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In less than 90 minutes, the first cracks in the systems' defenses started appearing, revealing an embarrassing low level of security. Then one was hacked wirelessly.

“Without question, our voting systems are weak and susceptible. Thanks to the contributions of the hacker community today, we've uncovered even more about exactly how,” said Jake Braun, who sold DEF CON founder Jeff Moss on the idea earlier this year.

“The scary thing is we also know that our foreign adversaries – including Russia, North Korea, Iran – possess the capabilities to hack them too, in the process undermining principles of democracy and threatening our national security.”
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/29/us_voting_machines_hacking/

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Im sure it never occurred to either party. Once we revolt we should put CA in charge. He's already rich, so we should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm sorry, but CNN very clearly said before the election that the election cannot be hacked:

No, the presidential election can't be hacked

President Obama, the greatest bastion of virtue and morality since the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, told us:

President Obama ridiculed Donald J. Trump on Tuesday for saying that the presidential election was rigged against him, telling Mr. Trump, the Republican nominee, to “stop whining and go try to make his case” to win more votes than Hillary Clinton.

At a news conference in the White House Rose Garden, Mr. Obama said, “I have never seen in my lifetime, or in modern political history, any presidential candidate trying to discredit the elections and the election process before votes have even taken place.”

I know that CA is no leftist apologist, but I'm sorry - nobody now gets to whine about stolen elections when the folks you had running things for eight years kept insisting it couldn't happen.

Nobody gets to whine after attacking the other guy for whining. Not on my watch. Sorry.

===================

Now........on a more serious note (I WAS kidding above - mostly)........any time one has computer systems they CAN be hacked. Saying they cannot is like saying the Titanic is "unsinkable."

(Of course, the cynic in me suspects this whole article is designed to plant the seeds to discredit Trump when the Democrats do something stupid - like nominate a radical leftist under the notion that "after having seen this dude for four years, nobody will vote for him" - and that imbecile wins again).

Let's face it: most of the predictive articles of doom nowadays by partisans are nothing but black ops designed to discredit the winner just in case 'our' guy loses.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I am not sure why this would be surprising to anyone who knows about DEF CON and the folks who attend. My Sales Engineer was with me Monday-Wednesday of last week and flew to Vegas for the conference Wednesday night. He bought a burner phone in San Antonio and placed his work laptop and personal phone in his "travel Faraday cage" that went into the safe of his hotel room. And this is his 10th DEF CON.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A paper record of each vote should be required by law.
In my jurisdiction, the ballots are paper (voters "bubble in" their prefer candidate's name). Voters feed the bubbled in ballot into the vote-counting machine, which tabulates immediately, and stores the paper ballot.
Poll watchers watch the machine add the ballot to the totals and record the current vote tallies at standard intervals over the course of the day. If Hillary has 400 votes (75% of the total) at 9:00 am, 800 votes (75%) at noon, 1200 votes (75%) at 3:00 pm, 1600 (75%) at 6:00 pm, and then 200 votes (10% of the total) at the final tally, the mechanical tampering is obvious. Somebody went in after 1800 and changed a bunch of Hillary votes to Trump votes. The paper ballot recount will indicate the real numbers. And since these machines are not connected to the internet, someone has to physically touch the machine to tamper with voting totals, and CCTV will show who did it. My little Hooterville town has I think a good system to thwart fraud.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
In my jurisdiction, the ballots are paper (voters "bubble in" their prefer candidate's name). Voters feed the bubbled in ballot into the vote-counting machine, which tabulates immediately, and stores the paper ballot.
Poll watchers watch the machine add the ballot to the totals and record the current vote tallies at standard intervals over the course of the day. If Hillary has 400 votes (75% of the total) at 9:00 am, 800 votes (75%) at noon, 1200 votes (75%) at 3:00 pm, 1600 (75%) at 6:00 pm, and then 200 votes (10% of the total) at the final tally, the mechanical tampering is obvious. Somebody went in after 1800 and changed a bunch of Hillary votes to Trump votes. The paper ballot recount will indicate the real numbers. And since these machines are not connected to the internet, someone has to physically touch the machine to tamper with voting totals, and CCTV will show who did it. My little Hooterville town has I think a good system to thwart fraud.
That is the way it is in my town as well.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
That's the way it should be. Someone should be able to take a sample of the paper ballots and compare percentages of each candidate's votes with the machine count. If there is a discrepancy, recount with anther machine.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Maysville votes like Tidewater. The way it should be. Some places vote electronically with no paper back up. No good.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.