Question: When does practice start? And question about Parks...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Re: When does practice start? And why

When does practice start? And why can't Jarez Parks get one of the vacated schollys? He could possibly provide depth at defensive end right? We need him and Ray.
1. Practice starts Thursday
2. We still at the 85 scholly limit, at least one more player would have to leave before he would get a scholly.
3. And yes ... players do need practice :cool2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Practice can't start until the day mandated by the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

I think the NCAA mandates a date (usually around August 1st) and 29 practices allowed before the season starts. I think there is more detail to the rule like the outlaw of 2 a days, but there was an interesting conversation on CFL on ESPN yesterday where Marcus Spears believed that players only needed 24 practices to get ready for the season and the other guy on the panel said they only needed 15 practices because of all the work that is put in during the off season. Players get tired of beating up on one another and they put in far more year round work than players did 20, 30, and 40 years ago. Coaches today may not like it, but I actually agree that players may only need about 20 practices in August to get ready for the season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

We've generally looked really sharp coming out of the gate, so I think all that practice has served us well. In generalities, yes, I think there should be less practice because there are more games today than ever before in this sport. Still, we should be looking for the compromise between preparedness that helps avoid injuries and wear n' tear that causes injuries.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

can't Jarez Parks get one of the vacated schollys? He could possibly provide depth at defensive end right? We need him and Ray.
In order for Parks to come on campus one of the members of the 2017 signing class would have to leave. The 85 limit is not the problem with getting Parks on campus but the 25 class limit. Per the reporting on NSD, Parks was told that the 2017 class was full, therefore Bama could not sign him. We had 26 signees which was the 25 allowed and one carryover from prior years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

In order for Parks to come on campus one of the members of the 2017 signing class would have to leave. The 85 limit is not the problem with getting Parks on campus but the 25 class limit. Per the reporting on NSD, Parks was told that the 2017 class was full, therefore Bama could not sign him. We had 26 signees which was the 25 allowed and one carryover from prior years.
It's the 85 limit. We're at 85 now. We can back-count guys because of previous departures.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

It's the 85 limit. We're at 85 now. We can back-count guys because of previous departures.

That would indicate that we actually needed some folks to leave to get to 85?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

That would indicate that we actually needed some folks to leave to get to 85?

No, there were just other whatever-color-shirts waiting ahead of Parks for the spots that opened up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We were over 85, which is why Brannon and Bulovas were blue shirts. They should now be on scholarship because of the recent departures. If someone else leaves, Parks should get that spot.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I think the NCAA mandates a date (usually around August 1st) and 29 practices allowed before the season starts. I think there is more detail to the rule like the outlaw of 2 a days, but there was an interesting conversation on CFL on ESPN yesterday where Marcus Spears believed that players only needed 24 practices to get ready for the season and the other guy on the panel said they only needed 15 practices because of all the work that is put in during the off season. Players get tired of beating up on one another and they put in far more year round work than players did 20, 30, and 40 years ago. Coaches today may not like it, but I actually agree that players may only need about 20 practices in August to get ready for the season.
I think the first 10 practices or so are focused on fundamentals and determining who is going to begin the season on the travel squad, who will start out redshirting etc... Then the last two weeks of camp the travel squad and begin prep for the game. So really it's not all getting ready for the season it's finding out who is prepared to play winning ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.