Title IX Is Broken: USC Kicker Booted For Nothing

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I would change my comment to PC Federal Government instead of NCAA ..... but what is the difference?:)
A whole order of magnitude of corruption and demagoguery? After all the NCAA membership is comprised of the Chancellors/Presidents of the member institutions while congress is comprised of career politicians, that's hardly a fair match now is it?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A whole order of magnitude of corruption and demagoguery? After all the NCAA membership is comprised of the Chancellors/Presidents of the member institutions while congress is comprised of career politicians, that's hardly a fair match now is it?
I have met a number of university presidents and ADs - they are pretty darned corrupt themselves. They are also career politicians.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Beyond ridiculous. I feel sorry for the young man. I hope that he can play elsewhere and kicks a field goal that gives a USC opponent a victory over them some day. Not sure that's realistic though. And the Title IX thugs make NZAA enforcement look like a couple of kittens whose eyes aren't open yet.

My sister-in-law is an upper-level administrator at a high-profile private college. Her stories about the Title IX enforcers disgust me. Sounds a whole lot like "Drag the guilty [so-and-so] in here, we'll give him a fair trial and hang him after dinner". And unfortunately the mindset described above is consistent with what she says -- anyone who makes a claim of any sort of abuse is 100% credible and contrary testimony is a lie from the first minute. Any female who says she was not mistreated is a pitiable creature who is obviously lying because she is scared to speak out, suffering from PTSD or Stockholm Syndrome, doesn't appreciate how she has been degraded, blah, blah, blah.

Look, I have three nieces in college right now and I worry about each of them every day. What happened to that poor girl at Vanderbilt was heart-rending. But we've crossed a line. Guilty till proven innocent and we aren't really going to listen to your proof. Charges like this can ruin a young man's life and hold him up to an astonishing level of public humiliation. All without a single criminal charge. Good luck getting your application to transfer accepted at another quality institution. Every job interview this fellow goes on for the rest of his life, some HR type is going to put his name in Google and this will be on the first page. How many interviews will it cost him? How many times will some unlucky interviewer (like me) have to say to him "I need to know about your ejection from USC." Maybe his lawyers will recover enough money for him so that he can retire.

If you and your college girlfriend want to have a pretend wrestling match, play slap-tickle-hug, or you want to fireman carry her over to the sofa for some snuggling, make darn sure your blinds are closed, because you are running a much worse risk than taking drugs or shoplifting at the SUPe store, etc.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
This is one of those instances where I wish I knew each student very well, had known each for a long time and how they acted around and with each other. I could then render a solid opinion on what's going on here. I could at least satisfy myself whether this was as unjust as it seems.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is getting some traction. If the young man decides to take legal action (and if I were in his shoes, I think I would), it might not end so well for USCw.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Title IX is and has always been a joke - why should a university be forced to fund sports that are a net loss? If there is interest, the money will be there.
I don't necessarily think that the sole purpose of collegiate sports should be a positive monetary benefit for the university. However, the restrictions that Title IX puts on schools, namely equal spending and equal number of male and female athletes, frequently results in the elimination of (often popular) teams, not the addition of teams, for "equality". This is why very few universities have a men's wrestling, soccer, rowing, boxing, lacrosse, etc. Some schools even drop teams like baseball. Its not because the interest isn't there-plenty of guys in high school play these sports but have nowhere to go with them afterwards. At Alabama, the university has a varsity women's rowing team. There is a men's club team that pays for all their own equipment, organizes their own practices, etc right alongside the women. Same with soccer. Women's team, but no men's. Plenty of men play soccer in the southeast these days. Plenty would like to play at alabama if offered. However because of Title IX they will never have University support. Club teams aren't even allowed by the school to have "university of alabama" on their kit anymore. Title IX reduces athletic opportunities in the name of "equality".

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
To be clear, this has nothing at all to do with the NCAA and everything to do with how federal law/rules/regs have been (mis)interpreted and (mis)applied. I am hoping a number of universities lose so much money in lawsuits they have a strong disincentive for these sham hearings that end up demeaning both men and women. This is not the first case of a woman claiming no wrong happened to them and yet the sham officers in the sham hearing come back with a finding of guilt. They have made a mockery of justice and demean women in the process.
The universities are put in a no win situation, much like police departments and k-12 schools. They are forced to follow federal or state mandates/laws. If they speak out against ones that really do not make sense, they are branded as racist, sexist, cruel, etc. If they do not follow them, they can lose funding or be punished. If the officials investigate situations and do not think something should be done, then the person who reported the problem will sue. If they investigate and decide something should be done, then the person who is being investigated sues. We have too many ridiculous laws that have stemmed from way, way, way too many ridiculous lawsuits. Our society becomes polarized where anyone and everyone can claim to be a victim of some sort, and the only people who gain anything are all the attorneys.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't necessarily think that the sole purpose of collegiate sports should be a positive monetary benefit for the university. However, the restrictions that Title IX puts on schools, namely equal spending and equal number of male and female athletes, frequently results in the elimination of (often popular) teams, not the addition of teams, for "equality". This is why very few universities have a men's wrestling, soccer, rowing, boxing, lacrosse, etc. Some schools even drop teams like baseball. Its not because the interest isn't there-plenty of guys in high school play these sports but have nowhere to go with them afterwards. At Alabama, the university has a varsity women's rowing team. There is a men's club team that pays for all their own equipment, organizes their own practices, etc right alongside the women. Same with soccer. Women's team, but no men's. Plenty of men play soccer in the southeast these days. Plenty would like to play at alabama if offered. However because of Title IX they will never have University support. Club teams aren't even allowed by the school to have "university of alabama" on their kit anymore. Title IX reduces athletic opportunities in the name of "equality".
This is yet another perfect example of a situation that may seem fair and just and equal to some, but it is really not in any way, shape, or form when put into practice. There are too many rules and laws that have absolutely zero common sense. Sometimes I wish we were a true democracy who could put more issues to a popular vote. Then again...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The issue with Title IX in this case isn't about equity. It's about the sexual assault issues and previous administration's "Dear Colleague" letter.

For those of you who aren't fans of Clay Travis, this case has been picked up by New York Magazine, hardly a source of conservative orthodoxy.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...shows-how-broken-title-ix-enforcement-is.html

Going to be interesting to see if - and how! - ESPN covers this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't necessarily think that the sole purpose of collegiate sports should be a positive monetary benefit for the university.
I didn't say anything about monetary benefit - I just believe that if a sport cannot fund itself, if it's a net drain on the D, it should be dropped. Male or female - doesn't matter. So much money is wasted on funding sports that no one other than the parents of the participants care about it's ridiculous.

Title IX is a decent idea, in theory - it keeps schools from purposely keeping females from having options. I get that. But the reality is it's a bad solution to a problem, always has been, and it gets worse every day.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I didn't say anything about monetary benefit - I just believe that if a sport cannot fund itself, if it's a net drain on the D, it should be dropped. Male or female - doesn't matter. So much money is wasted on funding sports that no one other than the parents of the participants care about it's ridiculous.

Title IX is a decent idea, in theory - it keeps schools from purposely keeping females from having options. I get that. But the reality is it's a bad solution to a problem, always has been, and it gets worse every day.
Realizing that, in this case, the Title IX angle isn't about money or equity, I'm putting that aside to talk about money and equity. It seems to me the simple and fair solution would be to exempt from a covered institution's Title IX scholarship calculation any sport that makes money. That means if your football program is profitable, those 85 scholarships do not have to be "counted" for equity. That would tend to produce one, or some combination of, the following:

More cost center (non-revenue generating) mens sports (rowing, wrestling, soccer, etc.); or
Fewer (non-revenue generating) women's sports.

You might see some of the latter (Bowling? Really?), but it seems to me (disclaimer - I don't really know) the men's sports generally were eliminated, not because they were losing money (though they probably were), but rather because there are only so many women looking to play varsity sports at the post-secondary level, and football's 85 scholarships have to be balanced. So, eliminating the smaller men's sports is simply a rational, and the easiest, response to the Title IX rule. Stop balancing revenue generating scholarships, and everything changes; not for every school, of course, but that's not my problem or concern.

Does anyone doubt there would be a plethora of young men who would want to play, say, varsity soccer on scholarship at Alabama; or that that would increase the overall academic talent pool at the Capstone and, by extension, in the state's job pool four years later?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I actually don't fault USC here. They're just doing what they're told to do by the Justice Department.

And that's who is at fault. What I can't figure out is that prosecutions such as this under Title IX very clearly do not conform to the standards of presumption of innocence as guaranteed by our constitution. Therefore, the only remedy here is for some of these students to sue up to the level of the Supreme Court and have the Court either strike down parts of Title IX or at least issue guidance that supersedes whatever a particular administration's Justice Department would issue.

I'm going to make an apology ahead of time to female (and male) victims that are offended by what I'm about to say, but if you can't prove it in open court -- with the accused getting to confront you and your story -- you don't get a conviction and you also don't get to punish the alleged offender despite that fact. Better the guilty walk free than the innocent pay for alleged crimes they didn't commit. That's the hallmark of the entire American judicial system and Title IX doesn't get to run roughshod over it just in the name of political correctness. This needs its day in front of SCOTUS as quickly as possible.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I actually don't fault USC here. They're just doing what they're told to do by the Justice Department.

And that's who is at fault. What I can't figure out is that prosecutions such as this under Title IX very clearly do not conform to the standards of presumption of innocence as guaranteed by our constitution. Therefore, the only remedy here is for some of these students to sue up to the level of the Supreme Court and have the Court either strike down parts of Title IX or at least issue guidance that supersedes whatever a particular administration's Justice Department would issue.

I'm going to make an apology ahead of time to female (and male) victims that are offended by what I'm about to say, but if you can't prove it in open court -- with the accused getting to confront you and your story -- you don't get a conviction and you also don't get to punish the alleged offender despite that fact. Better the guilty walk free than the innocent pay for alleged crimes they didn't commit. That's the hallmark of the entire American judicial system and Title IX doesn't get to run roughshod over it just in the name of political correctness. This needs its day in front of SCOTUS as quickly as possible.
I agree on everything you said but I seriously doubt the Supreme Court making any ruling that is NOT PC.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Update: he is suing U$C.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/44992/his-alleged-victim-said-she-wasnt-victim-school-ashe-schow

The University of Southern California (USC) was told by another student in 2017 that Matt Boermeester choked his girlfriend Zoe Katz and slammed her against a wall. The couple, who is still together, insisted that they were just playing around and that nothing untoward happened.

USC, however, saw things differently, and reached out to Katz to help her.
Which led to all sorts of stuff...............and I will leave it at that.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I hope he and others sue and win. Title IX has no business determining if someone has been sexually assaulted or something. That's what the police and judges are paid to do.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Title IX originally came into being to assist women in getting a fair shake when it came to athletic dollars in college. This bent the good ole boys something awful. However, it does seem this situation in discussion is ridiculuous. The individuals involved have both said they were just horsing around and it was all in fun. Unfortunately, some "do-gooders" at USC are trying to justify their position by apparently browbeating this young lady as they believe this is a case of "battered wife" syndome. Somebody needs to get a life and stop messing with the lives of these two young people. Perhaps a dose of "litigation therapy may help them straighten out these idiots at USC.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Title IX originally came into being to assist women in getting a fair shake when it came to athletic dollars in college. This bent the good ole boys something awful. However, it does seem this situation in discussion is ridiculuous. The individuals involved have both said they were just horsing around and it was all in fun. Unfortunately, some "do-gooders" at USC are trying to justify their position by apparently browbeating this young lady as they believe this is a case of "battered wife" syndome. Somebody needs to get a life and stop messing with the lives of these two young people. Perhaps a dose of "litigation therapy may help them straighten out these idiots at USC.
Lately, USCw's leadership doesn't seem to be exercising the best judgement.

I'm guessing this is not a new problem, only that it's just now coming into the public domain.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The issue with Title IX in this case isn't about equity. It's about the sexual assault issues and previous administration's "Dear Colleague" letter.

For those of you who aren't fans of Clay Travis, this case has been picked up by New York Magazine, hardly a source of conservative orthodoxy.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...shows-how-broken-title-ix-enforcement-is.html

Going to be interesting to see if - and how! - ESPN covers this.

Something tells me that it won’t have a bunch of wrongly accused men come out arm in arm in solidarity at the ESPYs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.