Title IX Is Broken: USC Kicker Booted For Nothing

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
“The Title IX investigation began…after a neighbor witnessed Boermeester (USC’s kicker) and Zoe Katz roughhousing. The neighbor told his roommate, who told a coach in USC’s athletic department that Boermeester was abusing Katz. The coach then reported the incident to the Title IX office.

Katz said she was summoned to a mandatory meeting with Title IX officials, where she told investigators that the two were playing around. Katz was subsequently told that she “must be afraid of Matt,” she said. She told officials she was not. Boermeester has not been arrested or charged with a crime.

“When I told the truth about Matt, in repeated interrogations, I was stereotyped and was told I must be a ‘battered’ woman, and that made me feel demeaned and absurdly profiled,” Katz said. “I understand that domestic violence is a terrible problem, but in no way does that apply to Matt and me.”

Katz said that she has “never been abused, assaulted or otherwise mistreated by Matt.” Katz said the Title IX office made her feel “misled, harassed, threatened and discriminated against,” and caused her to hire an attorney.

“The Title IX office’s response was dismissive and demeaning,” she said.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/title-ix-broken-usc-kicker-booted-nothing/

Another example of a warped politically correct world. As someone said today on radio art Briles was accused of looking the other way and then when they do not look the other way and report what they see ..... it causes the innocent to get railroaded. WAY TO GO NCAA.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Sounds like Boermeester and Katz should both sue USC for defamation, false whatever, and come up with some more charges. And include the unnamed witness. This is ridiculous.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is an example of investigators seeing what they want to see - something which supports conclusions that they have already made - and ignoring evidence and testimony which refutes their conclusions. This is a pervasive mentality. It is the primary reason that so many innocent people end up in jail.

If you are ever in a situation in which you must judge another, please take the time to gather all of the evidence before beginning the process of deriving conclusions.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This definitely messed up. I do think there might be some part of the story missing though and the University can't really share it but I doubt they are on the right side of this based on Katz's comments. Telling someone you think is a victim how they feel is definitely not a sound strategy.

I will say that what was happening at Baylor (assuming even half of the act alleged in the lawsuits and such are true) isn't something I would use as an example for your point. Literally no excuse for looking the other way in the Baylor situation.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Having had the misfortune of watching one of my students go through the kangaroo court of a Title IX hearing, I can say that Joe Stalin's show trials were as fair and honest.
They hand out their findings of "responsibility," there is no appeal, no presumption of innocence, no legal counsel. And the punishments are very real. How this travesty ever found acceptance in polite society is a mystery.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Title IX is and has always been a joke - why should a university be forced to fund sports that are a net loss? If there is interest, the money will be there.

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
This is an example of investigators seeing what they want to see - something which supports conclusions that they have already made - and ignoring evidence and testimony which refutes their conclusions. This is a pervasive mentality. It is the primary reason that so many innocent people end up in jail.
I wish it were that. Unfortunately, it's a clear result of a 2011 Obama Administration edict to universities. Some detail, courtesy of the Volokh Conspiracy:

By KC Johnson and Stuart Taylor January 31

On April 4, 2011, the same day that President Obama formally announced his reelection bid, his Education Department, with no advance notice, reinterpreted Title IX as giving the federal government authority to dictate the specific procedures that colleges must use to adjudicate student-on-student sexual assault allegations.

This “Dear Colleague” letter, issued by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), told all of the more than 7,000 colleges that receive federal money to use the lowest possible standard of proof, a preponderance of evidence, in sexual assault cases (though not in less serious matters such as cheating and noise violations). The letter required universities to allow accusers to appeal not-guilty findings, a form of double jeopardy. It further told schools to accelerate their adjudications, with a recommended 60-day limit. And, perhaps most important, OCR strongly discouraged cross-examination of accusers, given the procedures that most universities employed.

The Obama administration never explained the timing of this document’s release. Nor did it explain how a plainly worded, 40-year-old anti-discrimination law had become a fount of such highly controversial mandates.

In early 2016, Oklahoma senator James Lankford, who has emerged as an important defender of campus due process, requested that the Education Department provide the legal basis for the Dear Colleague letter. The response was less than convincing, even though the Obama administration had nearly five years to come up with a rationale. In a single paragraph, then-OCR head Catherine Lhamon maintained that the 2011 letter merely “reminded” colleges and universities of a requirement to use the preponderance of evidence standard, which, she asserted, OCR had previously established in two unpublished letters with individual universities. (In one of these cases, the alleged perpetrator was a professor, rendering it of little use to analyzing student-on-student allegations.) Lhamon said nothing about the source of OCR’s claimed authority to require that colleges allow accusers to appeal not-guilty findings, that they discourage cross-examination of accusers or that they accelerate adjudications. She implied that these provisions were so obvious that OCR correctly issued them without seeking public comment.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wish it were that. Unfortunately, it's a clear result of a 2011 Obama Administration edict to universities. Some detail, courtesy of the Volokh Conspiracy:
Nothing in this requires that investigators consider young men guilty just because they are accused, nor does it require that they ignore evidence indicating innocence.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Having had the misfortune of watching one of my students go through the kangaroo court of a Title IX hearing, I can say that Joe Stalin's show trials were as fair and honest.
They hand out their findings of "responsibility," there is no appeal, no presumption of innocence, no legal counsel. And the punishments are very real. How this travesty ever found acceptance in polite society is a mystery.
It is very simple how the travesty found acceptance. Speak out against it and you are all over the local, state and national news as being a sexist. PC at its finest.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Nothing in this requires that investigators consider young men guilty just because they are accused, nor does it require that they ignore evidence indicating innocence.
A lawyer drew up the requirements. Your average economics major (at your service; double entendre intended) can tell you how the incentives work.

Imagine the intersection of a Venn Diagram whose sets are: (1) a preponderance (just 50.1%) of the evidence; (2) expedited hearings; (3) discouraging cross-examination of accusers; (4) appeal of not guilty findings (aka, double jeopardy); (5) administrators' fears of losing federal funds. That overlap, my friend, is nearly total, and is why young men are thus treated. Whatever the intent and legal requirements of 2011's "Dear Colleague" letter, its incentives have the effect of favoring procedures that lead to guilty verdicts.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
To be clear, this has nothing at all to do with the NCAA and everything to do with how federal law/rules/regs have been (mis)interpreted and (mis)applied. I am hoping a number of universities lose so much money in lawsuits they have a strong disincentive for these sham hearings that end up demeaning both men and women. This is not the first case of a woman claiming no wrong happened to them and yet the sham officers in the sham hearing come back with a finding of guilt. They have made a mockery of justice and demean women in the process.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Good Lord there are so many things wrong with this title IX stuff, it's depressing. The idea that you can have a legal jeopardy dictated by the government but administered by ideologically driven proxies is just so disturbing. And why do boring, sexless, unimaginative people end up in these positions to judge other people's behavior? (Nevermind, I know why.)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Amazing to me how people can take someone's word in one instance and not in another. If the girlfriend has said, "YES he hurt me" they would have BEEN ALL OVER IT AND HE WOULD BE IN JAIL. YES SIR, THIS GIRL IS TRUSTWORTHY.

But when this trustworthy girl does not tell them what they want to hear .........

How strange is this: HQ finds out the boss is letting employees take food home with them which is going to be tossed if not eaten NOW. HQ puts a stop to this. How? They don't trust the Manager to point out which things can be taken home. That is what the manager was doing.

But they can trust said manager NOT to let anyone take anything. Hmmm. I sounds to me like they need to hire a manager they can trust. I mean. how can you claim to trust some one in one instance and not another?

Bottom line: They don't trust the manager to not let them get ripped off by designating what can be taken. BUT, but they do trust said manager to not let them get take anything. Hmmmmm.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
“The Title IX investigation began…after a neighbor witnessed Boermeester (USC’s kicker) and Zoe Katz roughhousing. The neighbor told his roommate, who told a coach in USC’s athletic department that Boermeester was abusing Katz. The coach then reported the incident to the Title IX office.

Katz said she was summoned to a mandatory meeting with Title IX officials, where she told investigators that the two were playing around. Katz was subsequently told that she “must be afraid of Matt,” she said. She told officials she was not. Boermeester has not been arrested or charged with a crime.

“When I told the truth about Matt, in repeated interrogations, I was stereotyped and was told I must be a ‘battered’ woman, and that made me feel demeaned and absurdly profiled,” Katz said. “I understand that domestic violence is a terrible problem, but in no way does that apply to Matt and me.”

Katz said that she has “never been abused, assaulted or otherwise mistreated by Matt.” Katz said the Title IX office made her feel “misled, harassed, threatened and discriminated against,” and caused her to hire an attorney.

“The Title IX office’s response was dismissive and demeaning,” she said.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/title-ix-broken-usc-kicker-booted-nothing/

Another example of a warped politically correct world. As someone said today on radio art Briles was accused of looking the other way and then when they do not look the other way and report what they see ..... it causes the innocent to get railroaded. WAY TO GO NCAA.
Pretty much agree with all you say, but since Title IX is a federal law and not an NCAA rule or bylaw, you might cut the boys in Indianapolis a little slack this time. Lord knows they give us plenty of ammunition for criticism without being blitzed for something over which they have no control. :smile:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Pretty much agree with all you say, but since Title IX is a federal law and not an NCAA rule or bylaw, you might cut the boys in Indianapolis a little slack this time. Lord knows they give us plenty of ammunition for criticism without being blitzed for something over which they have no control. :smile:
I would change my comment to PC Federal Government instead of NCAA ..... but what is the difference?:)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.