Former Florida QB John Reaves Dies at 67

CrimsonDynasT

2nd Team
Sep 23, 2007
So sad! I remember him as a great collegiate QB but did not know of his addiction background. It is good to know Mr. Reaves overcame his dependency issues. May God comfort his family and friends.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for your post, Gray.

While we are very saddened by his passing...much of his life was spent chased by his own demons....and hopefully is now finally at peace.

He's still one of only five quarterbacks from Florida high schools to be chosen in the first round.....by the Philadelphia Eagles as the No. 14 overall pick in the 1972.

His pro career included 17 NFL starts – including two for the Bucs in 1987. He also played for the Tampa Bay Bandits from 1983-85 under coach Steve Spurrier and later joined his Gators staff as an assistant coach.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks for your post, Gray.

While we are very saddened by his passing...much of his life was spent chased by his own demons....and hopefully is now finally at peace.

He's still one of only five quarterbacks from Florida high schools to be chosen in the first round.....by the Philadelphia Eagles as the No. 14 overall pick in the 1972.

His pro career included 17 NFL starts – including two for the Bucs in 1987. He also played for the Tampa Bay Bandits from 1983-85 under coach Steve Spurrier and later joined his Gators staff as an assistant coach.

I used to love watching him with the Bandits. I of course would pull against them because we had the Stallions. He died too young.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He was also originally from Anniston AL, before his family moved to Florida when he was young.

67 is very young. Has a cause of death been determined?

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
An interesting side note. He was in the same class with Pat Sullivan. They both wore the number 7. When Reaves and Sullivan played in the Senior Bowl, they both had #7. One had 7R and the other 7S. Have never seen that before or since.

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA
In Johns final game at the University of Florida against the Miami Hurricanes, the Gators were safely ahead but had turned the ball over on downs with Reeves 7 yards short of setting the record. On the next play the entire Gator defense fell to the ground allowing Miami to score so that Florida would get the ball back and Reaves would have another chance. Rest in peace John.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In Johns final game at the University of Florida against the Miami Hurricanes, the Gators were safely ahead but had turned the ball over on downs with Reeves 7 yards short of setting the record. On the next play the entire Gator defense fell to the ground allowing Miami to score so that Florida would get the ball back and Reaves would have another chance. Rest in peace John.
Called "The Gator Flop"....as a UF alumnus, I will always be embarrassed by that. Total BS and the worse part is the record which was broken was that of Jim Plunkett...one of the best QB's to ever play the game yet not inducted into the NFL HOF....which is also a bunch of BS.....

But I put the blame on our HC at the time, Doug Dickey...not John Reeves.

RIP and Godspeed to John....

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I am not a Florida fan, but I was listening to the game on the radio to see if John would break the record. I thought the flop play was hilarious. Don't be embarrassed, because the play didn't mean anything beyond allowing John to break the record.

In fact I thought the entire episode was kind of neat.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Called "The Gator Flop"....as a UF alumnus, I will always be embarrassed by that. Total BS and the worse part is the record which was broken was that of Jim Plunkett...one of the best QB's to ever play the game yet not inducted into the NFL HOF....which is also a bunch of BS.....

But I put the blame on our HC at the time, Doug Dickey...not John Reeves.

RIP and Godspeed to John....
There's an article on CNN today about how much pain Plunkett is in and requires 13 pills a day.

Sad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.