2017 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports and Press Conference Updates)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I had a cold this week. A lot of our student workers are back on campus, probably had something to do with it.

Wonder if Bo had a similar thing?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm guessing at this point Josh Jacobs has very little chance of being on the field against Florida State. I know we have other running backs but I was really hoping to see him blossom this season. I hope he gets better.
Me too. I'm a huge fan of his and really want this to be his season for a big breakout. Hopefully he gets healthy quickly but it doesn't seem like he will be back anytime too soon.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Josh Jacobs and Damien Harris were great pass catchers out of the backfield and the Pats were always a very friendly offense to that kind of tailback. We don't really know about the new Harris's hands and Scarbough is more like Henry who wasn't much of a pass catcher.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Josh Jacobs and Damien Harris were great pass catchers out of the backfield and the Pats were always a very friendly offense to that kind of tailback. We don't really know about the new Harris's hands and Scarbough is more like Henry who wasn't much of a pass catcher.
From everything that has been reported thus far, he's going to be doing plenty of catching.

And Bo and Henry are similar in the fact that they both can catch, but Lane didn't call many RB pass plays.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
True but IIRC Scarbrough played some WR in HS or something like that and reportedly has great hands.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I forget that about Bo despite him being local. It is really odd because Kiffin called more stuff where the RB had opportunities yet they almost exclusively happened with Dame or Jacobs on the field in 2016.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
With the caliber of athlete we recruit (especially at the running back position) I don't think catching the ball will ever be an issue for our RBs. It's not like we're calling elaborate routes for the RBs anyhow. We generally just use them as a safety valve or chip block then peel into flats or something like a quick option route. Nothing really down the field or anything that would be considered difficult to catch. I think that sluggo to Kenyan Drake that we ran on the first play against Florida a few years ago is about elaborate a route as the coaches have called run for a RB. Drake was more of a hybrid player also..

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
With the caliber of athlete we recruit (especially at the running back position) I don't think catching the ball will ever be an issue for our RBs. It's not like we're calling elaborate routes for the RBs anyhow. We generally just use them as a safety valve or chip block then peel into flats or something like a quick option route. Nothing really down the field or anything that would be considered difficult to catch. I think that sluggo to Kenyan Drake that we ran on the first play against Florida a few years ago is about elaborate a route as the coaches have called run for a RB. Drake was more of a hybrid player also..
I think many of us were hoping that Jacobs and possibly Najee were going to change that and have those 2 guys be more in the David Johnson, Marshall Faulk, & Le'Veon Bell mold. Or at least that was what I was/am still hoping happens

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think many of us were hoping that Jacobs and possibly Najee were going to change that and have those 2 guys be more in the David Johnson, Marshall Faulk, & Le'Veon Bell mold. Or at least that was what I was/am still hoping happens
The NFL guys you listed aren't running routes down the field though. They're just such elite athletes that teams will do whatever they can to get the ball in their hands including little option routes and such to get them the ball in space. It's not like Jacobs and Najee can really do anything that previous RBs we've had here can't. I watched Derrick Henry run routes with the WRs at the NFL combine and I don't think he dropped a single pass. If you didn't know he was a RB you probably would've thought he was a WR/TE hybrid. TJ Yeldon had a 70 yard catch and run for a TD in his rookie season with the Jags. We've always had RBs capable of catching passes we just haven't traditionally utilized running backs in the passing game. I think we all hope that changes and if it does, IMO, it will have more to do with Daboll's scheme rather than we finally have RBs who are capable of running routes and catching passes..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The NFL guys you listed aren't running routes down the field though. They're just such elite athletes that teams will do whatever they can to get the ball in their hands including little option routes and such to get them the ball in space. It's not like Jacobs and Najee can really do anything that previous RBs we've had here can't. I watched Derrick Henry run routes with the WRs at the NFL combine and I don't think he dropped a single pass. If you didn't know he was a RB you probably would've thought he was a WR/TE hybrid. TJ Yeldon had a 70 yard catch and run for a TD in his rookie season with the Jags. We've always had RBs capable of catching passes we just haven't traditionally utilized running backs in the passing game. I think we all hope that changes and if it does, IMO, it will have more to do with Daboll's scheme rather than we finally have RBs who are capable of running routes and catching passes..
That's not entirely accurate. See this PFF article on David Johnson. Bell is more of a shorter route guy overall but Johnson is a legit weapon at WR and more and more RBs are adding that skill set (Christian McCaffrey for one). It also sounded like Jacobs was practicing some a slot WR. There is a big difference between being able to catch and being able to run routes. I personally was hoping Jacobs would run some real routes this season. It just allows your offense to be more flexible and catch the D in bad spots especially when going hurry up (which it sounds like we are going to do a lot of this season).

EDIT: I do agree Daboll will be the key factor if any of this happens not necessarily the RBs. But I think the depth at RB and the diverse skill set we have there encourages coaches to find creative ways to use all our RBs. So, if Bo and Damien are the main ground and pound guys then how do you get a guy like Jacobs on the field who is crazy elusive and has great movement skills? You have him play some WR.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
On Alabama's Pro Day, with all of the receivers injured, Henry became the receiver for Coker. He didn't drop one pass. That part of his game was totally wasted at Alabama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That's not entirely accurate. See this PFF article on David Johnson. Bell is more of a shorter route guy overall but Johnson is a legit weapon at WR and more and more RBs are adding that skill set (Christian McCaffrey for one). It also sounded like Jacobs was practicing some a slot WR. There is a big difference between being able to catch and being able to run routes. I personally was hoping Jacobs would run some real routes this season. It just allows your offense to be more flexible and catch the D in bad spots especially when going hurry up (which it sounds like we are going to do a lot of this season).

EDIT: I do agree Daboll will be the key factor if any of this happens not necessarily the RBs. But I think the depth at RB and the diverse skill set we have there encourages coaches to find creative ways to use all our RBs. So, if Bo and Damien are the main ground and pound guys then how do you get a guy like Jacobs on the field who is crazy elusive and has great movement skills? You have him play some WR.
Thanks for the article. That's impressive that David Johnson's average target depth was a little over 8 yards. No doubt that someone like Jacobs being covered 1 on 1 with a linebacker in the slot is a severe mismatch. The Patriots seemed to always utilize elusive guys like Dion Lewis, Edelman, Welker etc. better than anyone in the league. I hope Daboll uses some of that scheme from the Patriots and we see some of it from Bama this year..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
On Alabama's Pro Day, with all of the receivers injured, Henry became the receiver for Coker. He didn't drop one pass. That part of his game was totally wasted at Alabama.
That may have been what I was thinking of. Kind of surprised the Titans haven't used him much at all in the passing game either outside of the traditional RB screens and such..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That may have been what I was thinking of. Kind of surprised the Titans haven't used him much at all in the passing game either outside of the traditional RB screens and such..
Since he won the Heisman and Alabama won the championship, it is hard to complain about the way that he was used - but it is clear that this was (and still is with other RBs) a valuable tool left on the shelf by Kiffin. Daboll will change that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.