Link: USA Today - Coaches Poll - Bama # 1

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Wonder what the Alabama record is for most seasons in a row ranked at #1 at some point.

As for UM, eventually this sort of thing starts to hurt. You end up with 3-4 losses by season's end and all the news stories start with "Despite being ranked in the Top 10 to start the season...." So far there has been so much media pandering over them that they've avoided too much damage even if they underachieved. Eventually, though, that'll change. Harbluff needs to have a really good season this year and a lot of kids are going to have to step up from him to do so.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm personally SURPRISED that Michigan is getting that much love.
True ... they should lose to OSU, PSU and hopefully MSU. They will lose to Florida in the season opener, so out the gate They are looking at the potential of 3-4 losses with at least one wild card team like Wisky that they can lose to.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How much time do you think CNS spends on his list. He is one of the 65 coaches who submit a weekly poll.
I would guess this is delegated by most all of the coaches and they don't even scan it before it gets sent in.
Majority of coaches give the job to their SID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Wonder what the Alabama record is for most seasons in a row ranked at #1 at some point.

As for UM, eventually this sort of thing starts to hurt. You end up with 3-4 losses by season's end and all the news stories start with "Despite being ranked in the Top 10 to start the season...." So far there has been so much media pandering over them that they've avoided too much damage even if they underachieved. Eventually, though, that'll change. Harbluff needs to have a really good season this year and a lot of kids are going to have to step up from him to do so.
The current streak is the record.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The current streak is the record.
If Bama reaches #1 at any point in time this season in the AP poll, it will be 10 consecutive years - three more than the old record held by UM from 1986-1992. Even if they don't, it's hard to imagine another run of this magnitude and consistency in any of our lifetimes.

Honestly, it's why I don't sweat the small stuff too much - we're witnessing something that has never been done before in CFB. Enjoy it!

RTR!

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The SEC has 5 in the Top 16, so the SEC is still getting a lot of respect from the Coaches.
Exactly! When our Sugar Bowl representative ends up 8-5, it is hard to justify putting anyone too high. I think most people believe there are a few teams who have chances to be good, so they put several in the 10-20 range to see which, if any, team or teams move into the top ten group. No other team proved to be very consistent last year. Several would look good one week and look like crap the next.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Mark Packer on Sirius College Sports made a good point today and I think RTR91 basically said it earlier in the thread.
Packer said, "If you think a college head coach actually takes the time to try and figure out who the 22nd best team in the country is, then I'm sorry, you're crazy...they give the poll to an intern or the S.I.D."
I can't help but believe that.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
We never win the title when we're ranked #1 to start the year...

Saban teams are always better when they're hungry and have something to prove. Hopefully this team can finish what we failed to do last year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saw somewhere that they lost all of the back-ups as well. Find that hard to believe. What's the story there?
They were just a senior heavy team. No real story - just experienced. This year they will have a very inexperienced team, but not as young as Alabama - also, not as talented. But they are very talented, and they have a solid coaching staff. They are going to be good again, but not good enough. :cool:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.