Link: Saban speaks on Hand (legal discussion on NS)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let's keep this thread strictly about the discipline and the effect of the team. Place comments about the law in the thread on NS...

LINK

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Re: Saban speaks on Hand...

Makes sense. If you think about it, suspending any player for a game - especially an impact player - really is punishing the whole team, not the player. I've never been for game suspensions of college players, unless they violated a football related rule. This is a police matter, and will be handled by the judicial system like all other DUI cases. Nothing at all to do with football. Trust Saban - Hand will pay a steep price - most likely one that involves extra conditioning - which should result in good things all the way around anyway. Plus whatever else he deems relevant to help the kid change his decision making.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

This LINK goes in far more detail. "... I have two choices. I can punish the guy for putting himself in a bad situation, aight, but making a pretty good decision after he put himself in that situation. Or we can take the situation that he put himself in, which is drinking, aight, and have him assessed for that and try to help him so he can make better choices and decisions in the future."

Listen, I'm old school but I agree with the decision. Coach Saban's logic makes sense to me in this situation.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I would've done differently just because it is so risky to even be behind the wheel while parked when impaired but I do not fault Saban. If he believes or can prove he didn't drive then this is more of an alcohol abuse issue.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Selfishly, I am glad to hear that Hand will not be suspended. But I know that Saban is going to get ripped for this and I hate to hear/read that garbage.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

When I got busted for speeding, the judge made me go to the Children's Hospital trauma ward. I saw little kids who had been hit by drunk drivers and speeders. It is humbling. Coach should make him do that.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I would've done differently just because it is so risky to even be behind the wheel while parked when impaired but I do not fault Saban. If he believes or can prove he didn't drive then this is more of an alcohol abuse issue.
Enjoy your posts, friend, but this is pure speculation. All we know is Hand got his DUI for being asleep at the wheel of his parked car with the keys in the ignition. This tells us one of two things. Either he knew he was too drunk to drive and decided to sleep or wait it out, or he was so drunk he passed out once he got to the cozy confines of his car. We just don't know and it's unhelpful to speculate any further on the matter.

As for the suspensions, the media just wants a scalp. No need to placate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This LINK goes in far more detail. "... I have two choices. I can punish the guy for putting himself in a bad situation, aight, but making a pretty good decision after he put himself in that situation. Or we can take the situation that he put himself in, which is drinking, aight, and have him assessed for that and try to help him so he can make better choices and decisions in the future."

Listen, I'm old school but I agree with the decision. Coach Saban's logic makes sense to me in this situation.
Thanks for a better link. I was trying to get a thread up in a hurry and keep it on topic...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Selfishly, I am glad to hear that Hand will not be suspended. But I know that Saban is going to get ripped for this and I hate to hear/read that garbage.
I agree and wonder what the reaction here would be if this had been a barn player.

Hopefully, Hand and his teammates will learn a lesson from this. I don't know what the appropriate punishment is, but that's Saban's job.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I have to agree with coach. The fact that he didn't drive the vehicle means he at least made a good decision to not multiply a bad one.
I initially thought he was actually "Driving" under the influence. In that case, to me, it's a suspension period.
This puts a different light on the story.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Didn't see this thread until now - but here's what I posted in the original thread over in N/S.....

Just saw the Coach Saban presser on Finebaum.

Community service and no loss of game time.

What I really appreciated is how Coach Saban explained his line of thought on the matter.

It makes ALL the difference in the world when you put things like this into context.

Handled very well.....

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Makes sense. If you think about it, suspending any player for a game - especially an impact player - really is punishing the whole team, not the player. I've never been for game suspensions of college players, unless they violated a football related rule. This is a police matter, and will be handled by the judicial system like all other DUI cases. Nothing at all to do with football. Trust Saban - Hand will pay a steep price - most likely one that involves extra conditioning - which should result in good things all the way around anyway. Plus whatever else he deems relevant to help the kid change his decision making.
This is certainly one way to look at it, and it seems that everyone here agrees with how CNS decided to handle it. I look at it like the player should face his teammates and apologize to them because it was his decision that let the team down, not the punishment that punished the whole team. Then he could say that it is time for someone to step up in his place and get the job done. To me, that is how team building and teaching lessons takes place. Playing in the game is the ultimate reward for players during the season. If they know they can make bad decisions and still play, what lessons are learned? They learn that if they are good enough, they can do whatever they want. As some have said, though, I do not know the entire situation. Did he decide to sleep it off and not drive? Did he just pass out before he was able to drive? Anyway, I like the quick decision so the speculation doesn't continue.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

“If he would have drove the car, it would have been a totally different circumstance.”

This was my exact stance all along. Saban knows better than I, and I take his word for it. I see no problem with no suspension providing he did not actually put people in harms way.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I am perfectly fine with Saban's decision. He did a great job explaining why he chose that route. Would have been completely different if he drove the car.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I'll admit, I was kind of leaning towards a suspension--but CNS clearly explained his reasoning, which is sound. Plus, he made it clear that suspension is still a possibility of Hand doesn't live up to his obligations.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

I'll admit, I was kind of leaning towards a suspension--but CNS clearly explained his reasoning, which is sound. Plus, he made it clear that suspension is still a possibility if Hand doesn't live up to his obligations.
In addition to the community service and police ride-alongs, I'm sure there are other things not made public like extra conditioning, classroom requirements, curfews etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if he had to apologize to the team too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.