Interesting take on the ACC from coaches...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't like the stealing signals, it falls right in line with gimmicks as far as I'm concerned. Should we guard against it? Yes. Should you just line up and beat the other team with sound execution? Even more yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Our failure to adjust in that game was one of Saban's lesser moments.

I also disagree. Owning the know how to adjust is one thing. Having the tools in the box is another. Sadly someone (CLK) rearranged the tools right before the car went up on the rack.

We were literally seconds away from another championship with a true freshman QB, a new OC and facing arguably the best defense since LSU.

RTR!!!

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
Hey guys, been awhile since I've been around, happy almost-2017-season to you!

Should you just line up and beat the other team with sound execution?
I'm curious, how is "stealing" signals any different than using film to determine opponents' tendencies, or changing the play at the LOS based on a pre-snap read? In either case, you're using more than "sound execution" -- you're changing your approach based on information gleaned from your opponent. The way I see it, failing to protect your signals is no different than failing to properly disguise a blitz, and allowing the opposing QB to call the right audible.
That said, if you want to address the issue, what about using NFL-style wireless comms between the coaches and (certain) players?

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
You're responsible for changing up your signals. Unless there's a technological aspect to it (video taping, wiretapping, etc.) I think anything done out in the open is fair game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I actually disagree... not that we didn't adjust, just that it was Saban's fault. We've seen Saban adjust many times in the past- I honestly think it had more to do with what the personnel could do best. He probably had valid adjustments he could have made but whether the personnel could have executed those adjustments is another matter. Now this isn't going to turn into another "pile on Hurts and his NC performance" statements, though his documented limitations from the playoffs will have contributed to that. I think the offensive line wasn't able to adjust either, and with the disappearance of Scarborough we were kid of drifting lifelessly with no real way to implement a Plan B.

Saban couldn't tell Sark "maybe wait 10-15 seconds before deciding the play?" That's the one area I believe Kiffin would have made a difference against Clemson.

We averaged 23 seconds per play against Clemson (obviously includes between plays). The only game less than that? Mississippi State, which was 22.8 seconds. The average time per play for Kiffin's 13 games is 26.6 seconds.
Who knows exactly if it makes a difference, but when the game winning touchdown is scored with less than 3 seconds left, one has to wonder.

With a tired defense, a slower drive could have made a pretty big impact.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.