Google's "Anti-Diversity" Screed

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think it depends on the job. I think there are jobs that (simply put) women tend to be better at than men because of the differences in how they are wired and vice versa. Granted, you can always find an exception but it's counter productive to build off an exception.
Reddit thread: I'm a male nanny. My job search was a living hell. Reddit said:
I'm 19 years old.

I was listed on care.com for less than two weeks before the website deleted me because I was reported by tons of moms claiming that because I am a male, my sole purpose in searching for a job as a babysitter/nanny is to molest and abuse children. Then moms from care.com posted my full name on craigslist once a week saying to beware of me.

Simple searches about male nannies lead you to tons of heated debates in which mothers say men cannot be trusted alone with children, and that men cannot provide care for children because they don't have the same parental instincts as women. That is, of course, unless that man is family. It's terrible.

I then started working at a daycare center (a job which requires tons of training and background checks--they found the craigslist posts and such and said I was not the first male they'd seen to have this happen to them), and parents came to know and love me--inviting me to family events and such; buying me christmas presents since I was their toddler's 'school teacher'. Now, I babysit three kids from two families regularly, and have one awesome nannying gig for a two year old boy who is seriously my honorary little brother.

It worked out for me, but a lot of men in my original position end up in terrifying situations in which moms will hire them just to accuse them of abuse and get money for damages. Yeah. That .... happens to men in childcare.

Men not being good role models/guardians and/or being oversexualized monsters and/or not having good instincts when caring for children is one of the most annoying gender stereotypes ever.
Yeah.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i hear what you're saying, but is also counter productive to build off of the assumed "status quo" (for lack of a better word)
Oh I agree. It's a slippery slope if you're not careful. Hiring personnel in general isn't an easy thing. It's a inexact science. We finished a round of hiring (last year) where I sat in on the interview panel and it seems a year later we scored a 50% success rate. Sadly about half of the people we hired have turned out to be not what we thought we were hiring.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Oh I agree. It's a slippery slope if you're not careful. Hiring personnel in general isn't an easy thing. It's a inexact science. We finished a round of hiring (last year) where I sat in on the interview panel and it seems a year later we scored a 50% success rate. Sadly about half of the people we hired have turned out to be not what we thought we were hiring.
hiring folks is my least favorite thing. we have been trying to hire someone all summer and finally found a good candidate that had experience in our industry and could pretty much immediately come in and help us out (which we desperately need). he sent an email the day before he was scheduled to start saying that he was taking another job (after sending an email 5 days before that confirming the start date, bennies, etc). as much as that sucks, we probably dodged a bullet.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you're looking for a nanny and you saw a candidate who was a retired Catholic Priest. Would you seriously consider him?

They aren't absolutes but stereotypes exist for a reason. They weren't just randomly made up for no reason. I have five children and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt if a 19 year old male was interested in baby sitting my children. No way in heck I'm even considering him. Because it simply isn't common for 19 year old male to seek out that type job. Again, I'm not making decisions of that nature hoping I get the exception.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
but a lot of their push seems to be reaching out to folks like the one's mentioned in the second quotes. it's almost a chicken and egg problem.
I learned the same thing from a guy I worked with a while ago: Brigadier General Remo Butler, the first African-American Special Forces officer to make flag rank (General). Remo was a Golden Gloves boxer in his younger days. He used to hang out at the big gym at Ft. Bragg, "throwing pig" iron and chatting up the young bucks in the gym. He would ask where they worked (frequently the Corps Support Command in Combat Service Support branches like Transportation or Quartermaster). When they asked him where he worked, he told them he commanded the Special Warfare Center. He suggested that the fit ones try out for Special Forces, and many would decline, saying, in effect, "I don't want to be the only black face in that crowd." Remo would say, "Yes, SF is pretty white, and if you don't try out, it always will be. Look at me. I made it." Remo did what he could to get young black studs to join Special Forces, because, as he said, "If we allow the stereotype to exclude 15% of our recruiting base (15% of the Army is black), then our pool is just that much smaller."
Ultimately, though, adults make their own career decisions and while we can try to reduce perceived barriers to entry you can only do so much.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
i don't see that men and women being wired differently or communicating differently equates to them not being able to do the same jobs as men equally well.
Did the author say all women are unable to perform equally as well as men in the referenced Google role(s)?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
the entire piece was based on women not being "wired" the same as men which (he thinks) is why they are not as capable of success in the tech field.
I know far too many great, brilliant technical women to agree with him though sadly I know a lot of guys like him in this industry. Convinced, evidence be damned, that every woman they meet in our field is either there because of their looks or some sort of affirmative action scenario. The folks on this thread who can't conceive of how that creates headwinds that men simply don't face would astound me if I didn't know them better at this point

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
the entire piece was based on women not being "wired" the same as men which (he thinks) is why they are not as capable of success in the tech field.
I know far too many great, brilliant technical women to agree with him though sadly I know a lot of guys like him in this industry. Convinced, evidence be damned, that every woman they meet in our field is either there because of their looks or some sort of affirmative action scenario. The folks on this thread who can't conceive of how that creates headwinds that men simply don't face would astound me if I didn't know them better at this point
The existence of great, brilliant, technical women doesn't contradict aggregate data that suggests they are less suited to the field on average

Any female MMA fighter could kick my butt, but I think I could take the average woman.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The existence of great, brilliant, technical women doesn't contradict aggregate data that suggests they are less suited to the field on average

Any female MMA fighter could kick my butt, but I think I could take the average woman.
I agree. I have a sister in law that I would put up against any man here and I'd bet on her, think Brienne of Taarth for the GoT fans

but his screed is dismissive of all women and that kind of attitude can become entrenched leading to a feedback loop that exasperates the problem. Leads to women not wanting to work in the field, leads to men keeping their daughters away (my FiL for instance who argued his daughters didn't "need to know math or science" but for darn sure his Son's did) and women being held back for promotion or even being treated seriously by male coworkers/bosses. I've seen it all first hand over my career and have exploited the heck out of it frankly getting some astoundingly brilliant female employees who were easy to hire away due to being stuck working for and with Neanderthals that couldn't possibly listen to a woman's solutions especially if it was right. Their loss, my gain

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i saw a response to this whole thing basically saying that even absent the dismissive stuff about women, pretty much anyone in a large company (especially a lower level staffer) that wrote and circulated company wide a 10 page memo criticizing the hiring and training practices of the company would be having a long talk with their boss and would probably be crap-canned or seriously reprimanded.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree. I have a sister in law that I would put up against any man here and I'd bet on her, think Brienne of Taarth for the GoT fans

but his screed is dismissive of all women and that kind of attitude can become entrenched leading to a feedback loop that exasperates the problem. Leads to women not wanting to work in the field, leads to men keeping their daughters away (my FiL for instance who argued his daughters didn't "need to know math or science" but for darn sure his Son's did) and women being held back for promotion or even being treated seriously by male coworkers/bosses. I've seen it all first hand over my career and have exploited the heck out of it frankly getting some astoundingly brilliant female employees who were easy to hire away due to being stuck working for and with Neanderthals that couldn't possibly listen to a woman's solutions especially if it was right. Their loss, my gain

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I count one female astronaut as a friend, an engineer, albeit with a degree from AU. From her and from my BIL, I knew long before the movie came out that we wouldn't have even had an early space program without the technical skills of black women...

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
As a whole, men and women are different. It's just a fact. On the whole, men are physically stronger than their female counterparts. Women are generally better at things which require greater manual dexterity. Women and men communicate differently (yeah, we all communicate in primarily spoken language) and process information differently. Women expect men to read their minds. Men get in deep mess for speaking their minds and being direct and to the point (unless you're a politician in which you don't have an inkling as to how to be direct and you generally don't want people to understand your point).
You can find exceptions to every rule.
Don't kid yourself into thinking that companies don't hire people for the simple reason of trying to look diverse. And GOD knows the gvt does it on an overboard level.
My daughter has a friend (a female) who is going into a stem program here. My daughter knows about the stem program just like any other school kid around here. My daughter has no interest in the Stem program. It is not because I have steered her away from such things as science and tech as I expect her to do well in all of her classes regardless of her desire to follow pursuits in history or math or science, etc. My daughter wants to be in interior design and do photography. That is her decision. I won't try to change her mind in the interest of Diversity or trying to be the "token" to show that women can do these things.
Bottom line is that all persons are different and depending on their genetic makeup and personal likes and dislikes and preferences they may just not want (for the most part) to get into one of these fields.
Please quit trying to push people into fields or positions they may not want to be in just so you can toot your horn and say "look at me. I'm doing my part for diversity/social change/justice".
Is there discrimination of all types? Sure there is. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY LAWS, ETC ARE ON THE BOOKS. AS LONG AS EVIL EXISTS IN THIS WORLD THIS WILL STILL BE HERE.
But, let's get past this notion that women and men are equals because we are not. Doesn't mean that women can't do the same jobs as a lot of men can do (and vice versa for that matter) but there are things that one can do better ( on the whole ) than the other.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.