Google's "Anti-Diversity" Screed

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
i saw a response to this whole thing basically saying that even absent the dismissive stuff about women, pretty much anyone in a large company (especially a lower level staffer) that wrote and circulated company wide a 10 page memo criticizing the hiring and training practices of the company would be having a long talk with their boss and would probably be crap-canned or seriously reprimanded.
I wonder if he got to take the fish with him .... 'cause of the manners and whatnot.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I agree. I have a sister in law that I would put up against any man here and I'd bet on her, think Brienne of Taarth for the GoT fans

but his screed is dismissive of all women and that kind of attitude can become entrenched leading to a feedback loop that exasperates the problem. Leads to women not wanting to work in the field, leads to men keeping their daughters away (my FiL for instance who argued his daughters didn't "need to know math or science" but for darn sure his Son's did) and women being held back for promotion or even being treated seriously by male coworkers/bosses. I've seen it all first hand over my career and have exploited the heck out of it frankly getting some astoundingly brilliant female employees who were easy to hire away due to being stuck working for and with Neanderthals that couldn't possibly listen to a woman's solutions especially if it was right. Their loss, my gain
Can you show me what in his 10 pages led you to this conclusion?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I know far too many great, brilliant technical women to agree with him though sadly I know a lot of guys like him in this industry. Convinced, evidence be damned, that every woman they meet in our field is either there because of their looks or some sort of affirmative action scenario. The folks on this thread who can't conceive of how that creates headwinds that men simply don't face would astound me if I didn't know them better at this point
The idea that female employees only got hired to meet an affirmative action quota, and the doubt that this view casts on female achievement, sound like an eloquent argument for getting rid of affirmative action programs. They are unconstitutional anyway.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i was going to say, you didn't miss much.
no I didn't. I know enough guys like him that I predicted most of what he would say from the intro. Got to say though, I love his use of footnoting as if he is providing evidence and then the footnotes are actually just his explanations of the comment with nothing at all behind them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
no I didn't. I know enough guys like him that I predicted most of what he would say from the intro. Got to say though, I love his use of footnoting as if he is providing evidence and then the footnotes are actually just his explanations of the comment with nothing at all behind them.
but it's scholarly.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
One could say we know enough guys like you to know how you are going to react, and your rationale, for your conclusions.

At the end of the day, all it really means is "Well, that is, uh, just like your opinion, man."

Someone needs to post the obligatory picture of The Dude, as that is the predictable action of my MO.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
My wife works in IT and my sister is a surgeon. Both fields are male dominated and I have heard both of them lament the disparate treatment they receive every day. After a while anyone that faces this kind of "you are out of your field/stay in your lane" treatment starts to look at lashing out at people that they feel hold them back and destroy them. Women are particularly good at destroying people.:biggrin:

If "Joe Google" had any intelligence about him, he would know that there would be severe backlash and that he would be eventually found out. So, I feel no sympathy for the fella and he got exactly what he SHOULD have expected from the beginning. I'm really thinking this was a publicity stunt on his part, or he's just an idiot. Not sure which one.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
One of my best friends is the first woman that was admitted to Princeton's Medical School.

She is part of the vast right-wing conspiracy.

Her hubby, also a doctor, is part of the vast left-wing kook conspiracy. Except that he is not a kook, and has grown weary of all the kooks.

Interesting couple. Way back when, someone thought it would be good for them to be introduced to each other. Seven weeks later, they were married. That was 40-some years ago.

They get along wonderfully, yet never agree on anything!

Other than voting is now a waste of time.

Getting old sucks, because everything you encounter is something you have encountered before, and you get tired of it.

(BTW, the hubby is a "head doctor". I won't bring up his views on "transgenders". You won't like it, and he probably doesn't want the grief of defending it.)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
i read the whole thing
I had not read the entire thing, got the jist and thought that enough but decided that was unfair so I read it this morning in full and my opinion has not changed.
Fair enough. We just comprehend it differently. Did either of you read the article I linked, by chance?

I'm not out to make champions or martyrs of people who circulate 10 page memos about their place of employment. But its interesting to me that this guy gets torched by the same crowd that lauds Colin Kaepernick. Supposedly, both were trying to "start a conversation" about something in society they believed was harmful. Of course, it jeopardized the employability for both, so I'd agree with those who have said it probably wasn't smart to speak up in the first place.

For the record, I don't have a daughter but if I did, she would be encouraged to pursue her interests without judgment either way, and expected to do her best in all subjects. If she ended up an engineer or a home maker, I'd be proud of her. I've got 2 sisters. My parents are very old fashioned. Neither sister was ever encouraged to "stay in her lane" or not to take STEM subjects. Maybe we were an exception to what has been the norm. I really don't know.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Fair enough. We just comprehend it differently. Did either of you read the article I linked, by chance?

I'm not out to make champions or martyrs of people who circulate 10 page memos about their place of employment. But its interesting to me that this guy gets torched by the same crowd that lauds Colin Kaepernick. Supposedly, both were trying to "start a conversation" about something in society they believed was harmful. Of course, it jeopardized the employability for both, so I'd agree with those who have said it probably wasn't smart to speak up in the first place.

For the record, I don't have a daughter but if I did, she would be encouraged to pursue her interests without judgment either way, and expected to do her best in all subjects. If she ended up an engineer or a home maker, I'd be proud of her. I've got 2 sisters. My parents are very old fashioned. Neither sister was ever encouraged to "stay in her lane" or not to take STEM subjects. Maybe we were an exception to what has been the norm. I really don't know.
I didn't but I also skipped an article that posited the exact opposite that his claims were totally without scientific merit.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I didn't but I also skipped an article that posited the exact opposite that his claims were totally without scientific merit.
I think its worth the read. An excerpt, which may be referring to the article you are talking about:

Many people, including a former Google employee, have attempted to refute the memo’s points, alleging that they contradict the latest research.
I’d love to know what “research done […] for decades” he’s referring to, because thousands of studies would suggest otherwise. A single study, published in 2015, did claim that male and female brains existed along a “mosaic” and that it isn’t possible to differentiate them by sex, but this has been refuted by four – yes, fouracademic studies since.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I think its worth the read. An excerpt, which may be referring to the article you are talking about:
oddly for me I am not particularly interested in the Science of it as I know without question that men and women are different. He may even be largely right on the differences between men and women but it simply doesn't matter as they lead to universal generalizations that are harmful to the individual. Where does he even consider that the women that walk in the door at Google are not a reflection of all women at large (or all men for that matter)? He doesn't and that is a huge problem. He wants to say "women are this way" without noting that the women at Google or Silicon Valley differ from women as a whole. I know several googlers personally, men and women and "to a man" they are largely different that society as a whole. Just as Southerners are different from Americans and Americans are different from People as a whole. Sure most Americans are fat, lazy and stupid, look up the science of it, but that is hardly a reason to discount them as a whole group as he seems to want to with women.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
oddly for me I am not particularly interested in the Science of it as I know without question that men and women are different. He may even be largely right on the differences between men and women but it simply doesn't matter as they lead to universal generalizations that are harmful to the individual.
Google Memo said:
My larger point is that we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology.
Where does he even consider that the women that walk in the door at Google are not a reflection of all women at large (or all men for that matter)? He doesn't and that is a huge problem. He wants to say "women are this way" without noting that the women at Google or Silicon Valley differ from women as a whole.
Google Memo said:
Note, I’m not saying that all men differ from women in the following ways or that these differences are “just.”
Many of these differences are small and there’s significant overlap between men and women, so you can’t say anything about an individual given these population level distributions.
I know several googlers personally, men and women and "to a man" they are largely different that society as a whole. Just as Southerners are different from Americans and Americans are different from People as a whole. Sure most Americans are fat, lazy and stupid, look up the science of it, but that is hardly a reason to discount them as a whole group as he seems to want to with women.
Google Memo said:
I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.